2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

Need I point out that Kings Island made the first move, all of last season, with the installation of Banshee?  They don't need to respond to other parks responding to their ~$30 million installation.

Kings Island will continue to receive the investments that the park's market warrants.  That doesn't mean that every time another park somewhat close puts in a new coaster, Cedar Fair/KI must do the same.

• Like 7

I'm 99.9% sure Kings Island is well aware of what Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World are doing, but I don't think Thunderbird or Storm Chaser are going to make Kings Island rush their next coaster. Banshee went over really well, and KI will probably want to take time and effort to make sure the next big coaster- whatever it is- will do just as well. I'd still say it will be 4-5 years after Banshee when the next coaster debuts. Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom also probably don't have the funds to drop these huge coasters all the time, or else they'd go bankrupt. Thunderbird and Storm Chaser could both potentially still be their respective parks newest big coasters by 2019, when Kings Island is expected to "go again" for their next big coaster based on the 5-year gap between Diamondback and Banshee.

• Like 4

I'm noticing the Cedar Fair is updating their entrances with new rides, and completely new buildings. I'm not one to say Kings Island should change things like this, but it's possible that other parks will be on the list, and this list does have Kings Island written on it.

Ouimet said a few years ago he was satisfied with KI's entrance and that it actually helped inspire their current remodeling spree.

• Like 6

KI in my mind (as well as Kings Dominion) is different in my mind than other parks in the chain.  The tower and fountain are the central experience when entering the park.  While I do think the front of KI needs a face lift, I don't know that it needs a sweeping coaster interacting with the park.  The sounds of the fountain and views of the tower as you enter under the main gate creates the magical feeling that the park is looking for already.  I think a coaster would just clutter that up with noise.

• Like 11

Last time a 15 million dollar attraction was added , Kings Island DID make a move. Now I'm not saying this for certain, but Kings Island does need to be aware. These two parks are tapping at markets that Kings Island draws from.

If only they just added a 24 million dollar addition in the last 18 months...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

KI in my mind (as well as Kings Dominion) is different in my mind than other parks in the chain. The tower and fountain are the central experience when entering the park. While I do think the front of KI needs a face lift, I don't know that it needs a sweeping coaster interacting with the park. The sounds of the fountain and views of the tower as you enter under the main gate creates the magical feeling that the park is looking for already. I think a coaster would just clutter that up with noise.

That's what I think too, you can add Canada's Wonderland. If you have to many parks in the chain have the same entrance with a coaster in front, seems like they have run out of ideas to spruce up the entrances. KI doesn't need that, it already has a great entrance just maybe a little update like you said. I like Cedar Point and Kings Island being different.

• Like 4

First, I will say that I can be too quick to jump on the Kings Island jump-to-conclusion-future-development-speculation bandwagon.  Having said that, based on my first visit of the season last week and seeing all of the improvements to International Street, I can't help but think that the park is expecting increased foot traffic in that area sometime in the near future.  To what or from what those people will be walking to/from is the big question!

• Like 2

We can question anything! I'll admit, I had a little spark of intrigue even reading your question. I'm sure it just hasn't been priority to move them out yet, tho.

The ramp and stage seemed particularly well built for a single use thing, have they been used for anything in the past? It was my first time seeing them but I've only been back to the park regularly since last season.

• Like 2

Well I mean, they put all the tables back around the Eiffel Tower. And all the trashcans are gone too. Plus It's been two days since the festivle, They probably would've taken them down last night if anything. But maybe if they are there tomorrow it will be more suspicious.

853058.jpg

• Like 8

Unless they make an electric version of the Antique Car, you will not see them return. I highly doubt this is for any announcement as they would have some sort of teaser.  The management has way too much fun teasing, to pass an opportunity. 

You could probably have special engines that run on recycled frying oil if you really wanted them back and wanted to be economical or "green".

• Like 1

Last time a 15 million dollar attraction was added , Kings Island DID make a move. Now I'm not saying this for certain, but Kings Island does need to be aware. These two parks are tapping at markets that Kings Island draws from.

If only they just added a 24 million dollar addition in the last 18 months...

I don't think a 5-10 million investment is out of line. Let's look back...(Yes, I know Mr. Ouimet is there now).

2008- No serious money spent in anticipation of Diamondback. Nothing new other than general park upkeep and new ride names.

2009- Diamondback ($22 million)

2010- Planet Snoopy re-theme. $2 million maybe, don't know. The point is relatively light spending

2011- WindSeeker, pavers and Dinosaurs Alive ($5 million+)

These years parallel nicely to...

2013- Son of Beast demolition in preparation for Banshee, No major additions.

2014- Banshee $24 million (Almost exactly $22 Million in 2009 dollars)

2015- Planet Snoopy refresh, $1 million+

2016- This year may parallel 2011 in investment numbers. I would say water slide and/or a regular sized flat, My personal suggestion is a Zamperla Air Race. :wub:

• Like 4

There's some part of me that wonders if it's Haunt-related. A brown stage doesn't exactly scream "new ride teaser" to me.

A maze used to reside in the exact spot that stage and lovely fencing sits now 11 years ago:

ffo078.jpg

It would be interesting to see a white tent make a return to that grassy field, perhaps as a companion piece to Backwoods Bayou. However, I really want to see them address some of the much older attractions that haven't had any TLC or upgrades in years or are clearly flawed and need to be redone or removed. Ones like:

• CarnEvil - Clown mazes are an easy cop-out because clowns are scary. Duh. That isn't an excuse to leave a maze untouched for what is now almost 14 years. Take the clowns out of the Theater and have them run around Planet Snoopy with the Freak Street folks and put something new in. Do a Doll Factory maze like a majority of people have been screaming for since 2007 (or a Toy Factory to grab the Five Nights at Freddy's fanbase), or even a Grimm's Fairy Tales-themed house. Just....SOMETHING.
  • Tombstone Terror-tory - Long lines for the train. Which leads to long lines for the maze after you get off the train. Which leads to walking past crates and boxes and guessing which crate or box has a monster behind it. It's one of the few attractions that a vast majority of people have complained about, both on here and at the park, and still it stands to this day. Get rid of the maze portion, put the trains in storage, and just have a haunted hayride with large set pieces to traverse. A truly brand-new experience for the Haunt, and one that could rival other local hayrides like Springboro's with upkeep and TLC.
  • CornStalkers - Even with a few visual upgrades, I would really like to see more than just "scarecrows". Bring back set pieces and aspects of Psycho Path/Trail of Terror and turn it into an actual farmhouse environment. Heck, you could even tie it into Backwoods Bayou and even Slaughter House as one mega scare environment (Southern Discomfort) like they did when Stalkers first debuted alongside Headless Hollow and Massacre Manor in '05's "Curse of Sleepy Hollow" zone for FearFest.

...sorry, went into "Hardcore Halloween Haunted House Fan" mode. 

• Like 10