2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

Its a big smoking area that sees limited use as a smoking area these days (at least as I observe it from the carousel) There are a lot of smoking areas in Coney, and I always see people in there, there are also a lot of rides that older kids could go ride while their parents take a break.  Other than the carousel, which doesn't attract many older kids that would ride a ride by themselves or with friends/siblings on the trip, there's nothing around that area that would call to a parent looking for a place to take a break while their kids explored the immediate area.  Its location, makes it almost useless as a smoking area with the exception of a couple or group looking for isolation from the rest of the park.

I've said many times, I'd love to see the area mostly kept "as is", boot out the smokers, get with the people from Entertainment Junction and create some KI models, or ride models similar to what they've done for their Coney Island display, put up a bunch of history of KI, move the hall of fame over to that area, then carve out a spot to sell Vintage KI merchandise.  I don't know that it would work well in regards to ROI as the general population probably doesn't care so much about the history of KI that they'd be willing to spend an hour or so in there, but as someone who grew up with KI, I'd love to see something like that.

Short of that, add a nice flat or two to that area, classic flats that would tie in well with the carousel and I think you've got a hit.

• Like 5

2016-2021 Five season plan.  (Satire, nothing in this post is serious).

In 2016, Kings Island will finally paint The Racer, the Eiffel Tower, and the entrance plaza buildings.  Building on the momentum of the success of the tristate's largest Starbucks, Kings Island will introduce In-N-Out Burger to the tristate area and place it in the box formerly known as The Crypt.  It will be the worlds' largest In-N-Out burger outlet, but will not accept the meal plan offerings.  The newest ride offering will be a lazy river that connects Soak City with Planet Snoopy which includes a "worlds first lazy river loop that crosses a railroad track...twice!"  Press kits tout a entirely new Planet Snoopy and Soak City and a revitalized train experience.  In food service news, Chef Nate announces he has listened to the complaints of slow food service and introduces two options for guests:  1-Fast Eat pass-separate entrance for Meal Plan participants, but at a cost of $49.99/day.  This option promises that the diner will be served in 20 minutes or less, but there is no recourse if this threshold is not met.  The second option, at no extra charge, is the standard food service except the park guest will make his/her meal, salad bar style.  Kings Island also announces it has solved the "Diamondstack" issue by going to one train operation.

2017 brings sweeping change to the park.  Seeing the attendance figures decline from the Louisville market, the park co-markets with Kentucky Kingdom, in a like manner that Kings Dominion did with Busch Gardens.  Combo daily tickets and gold passes are sold.  Renovations this year include:  The Liberty Bell i s relocated to the front of the Eiffel Tower and a LED flower clock is constructed on the other side.  Back Lot Stunt Coaster is renovated and re-themed as The Bat's Son.  Banshee is as popular as ever, so Kings Island decided to add a second female-inspired coaster by re-theming Adventure Express as Daughter of Beast.

2018 brings us another first.  The area near the International Showplace/Diamondback sees overwinter construction.  The area eventually expands to the front of Bat's Son and over to the Tower Garden.  The new ride is called Launched Les Taxis.  It is the world's first launched antique car ride, with the cars accelerating from 0-8 MPH in 16 seconds.  The partnership with Kentucky Kingdom expands.  Trains from the former Greezed Lightning are used on Vortex and the Thunder Road train is sent to Kentucky Kingdom, but sits unused since Thunder Run does not have a transfer track.

2019-In  a settlement with NASCAR, the Intimadator coasters are removed from Kings Dominion and Carowinds.  Intimadator 305 is relocated to Kings Island and The Intimadator is relocated to Kentucky Kingdom.  The Kentucky Kingdom version requires excavation to accommodate airport height requirements.  Both of these rides are tied into the Kentucky Speedway and Kentucky Kingdom shares tax incentives with Kings Island by picking up the marketing expense for the rides.  Planet Snoopy is renamed King Louie's Playground as the rights to the Peanuts franchise expires.

2020-Kings Island introduces a 5D dark ride.  Interestingly enough, the ride will be themed to clarity to tie in with the 2020 year and 20/20 vision.  No glasses will be needed as cortical stimulators are used instead.  The "shows" can be tailored to each rider.  The most popular choice returns the Cirque d'Imagine concept and allows the rider to view and then become a character in the show.  Other options include past roller coasters of Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom roller coasters.  An announcement is made that starting in 2021, "exciting changes are in store for Kings Island to celebrate the 50th anniversary in 2022."

2021-Not a big year for CAPEX at Kings Island.  All theming is removed in Rivertown.  Pavers replace blacktop.  In June, it is announced that Kentucky Kingdom is being acquired by Cedar Fair, with Ed Hart gaining a seat on the board of directors.  Six Flags announces plans to enter the market by building a park in northern Kentucky, partnering with the Bea Arthur Foundation.  It is to be  Western themed park.  Only after the announcement is made does the company realize it has made a mistake by partnering with the wrong foundation.  They got Bea Arthur confused with Fess Parker.

• Like 10

[...]I don't know that it would work well in regards to ROI as the general population probably doesn't care so much about the history of KI that they'd be willing to spend an hour or so in there[...]

They care enough to ask if the Antique Cars and the Monorail are still at the park, so the nostalgia factor is there...

• Like 6

[...]I don't know that it would work well in regards to ROI as the general population probably doesn't care so much about the history of KI that they'd be willing to spend an hour or so in there[...]

They care enough to ask if the Antique Cars and the Monorail are still at the park, so the nostalgia factor is there...

But think about it in business sense. If these people are asking if those rides are still there, then they are not really generating income for the company, and haven't been for the last 10-20 years. So why bring those things back? Cater to the ones that bring in the Benjamins, and not the Jeffersons ;)

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 2

^ Except those are some of the people who purchase single-day tickets and actually spend money in the park on food and souvenirs. As opposed to locals and enthusiasts with season passes who only spend a couple of hours marathoning attractions and leave the park to go eat elsewhere. Sure, they aren't there everyday as they only come once in a blue moon, but when they do show up, you'd best believe they have the funds available to get the best experience they possibly can. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure if I agree with you or not.  Do you think that people ask about past rides because it gives them a nostalgic feeling, or do you think they ask about them simply because they want to ride them?  I suppose you could debate that for hours on end.

^ Except those are some of the people who purchase single-day tickets and actually spend money in the park on food and souvenirs. As opposed to locals and enthusiasts with season passes who only spend a couple of hours marathoning attractions and leave the park to go eat elsewhere. Sure, they aren't there everyday as they only come once in a blue moon, but when they do show up, you'd best believe they have the funds available to get the best experience they possibly can.

Nah, bro!  Enthusiasts having the All Season Dining Plan now.  My, how things have changed!

• Like 7

It would be interesting to see a Trabant ride return to the area, especially since one just left the area (Coney Island) a few years ago. A Mack Super Himalaya would be awesome as well, though a flat ride with a 52" minimum height might not be appealing to a lot of people.

• Like 4

Last time that LaRosa's was rehabbed, a huge deal was made of it. Press event, the whole nine yards.

Since, the slice size has greatly decreased, the price increased, and the uniformity has greatly varied. From burned to near raw, varying serving sizes, etc.

Isn't it past time the park locations got the chain conveyor ovens used elsewhere?

• Like 6