2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

It would probably ruin International Street ambiance, but I'd kinda like to see a Kingda Ka type thing going up (way up) and over the tower...lol.

Like, take the top of the tower all the way up to the top of it, and fill in the gap with cleverly-engineered, "stretched metal" lattice work that makes it look like the coaster grew up out of the ground, taking the tower with it. ... hmmm? [lightbulb pings into existence over my head]... opening up PowerPoint... brb.

• Like 5

Racer is not going anywhere and recaR is not coming back unless PTC has changed their minds, (or there are new non-PTC trains which I HIGHLY doubt).

Wait. Why would PTC have a say in this?

Under Ohio law, ride manufacturers' safety suggestions must be abided by.

• Like 1

Racer is not going anywhere and recaR is not coming back unless PTC has changed their minds, (or there are new non-PTC trains which I HIGHLY doubt).

Did PTC suggest that they run forward? 

My prediction(s)

I have organized my predictions in 3 groups of things that could go together.  (either they pick 1, 2, or 3)

The following text is from my Facebook page. 

"Group one--- Plausible
-Reverse the Blue Racer
-Re-do the parking lot
-Re-do the parking lot entrance. 
-Refurbish Drop Tower

Group two--- Unlikely but cool
-Remove The Racer
-Add an INTAMIN strata coaster (similar to Top Thrill Dragster) in place of racer OR add a B&M giga coaster (similar to Fury 325) in the same location.
-Re paint Drop Tower

Group three--- Plausible but not as likely as group one
-Either repaint, or do nothing new to The Racer
-Turn Drop Tower into a Falcon's Fury or Acrophobia style ride and re-theme to "Down Draft"
-Add a ProSlides capsule drop sort of also themed to Down Draft. (see Top Thrill Dragster and DragsterH20)"

Somewhat related question to this prediction: has information been released on where in the park this announcement will take place? That would be good info to know before leaving.

EDIT: I do not know why this shows up with a white background. That is weird and not supposed to happen. 

• Like 5

Did PTC suggest that they run forward?
Well they certainly didn't turn around recaR for nostalgia. I believe this has been discussed or at least heavily hinted at on this site. Personally, I believe that PTC changed their minds on backwards trains back in 2007(yr?).

For what it's worth, I think they're doing something with the fountains area in 2016.  It might only be keeping the fountains clean in 2016, I don't know.  Personally, I love the fountains...although personally I'd like to see a walkway going over them from the Boo Blasters area over to the Festhaus area.

• Like 2

Oh dear. This is worrisome if The Racer rumors are true. Coney Mall will never be the same if it is. As much as I'd not like to see a RMC conversion, I'd still take that over a total demolition. At least then The Racer wouldn't be completely gone. (The RMC conversion actually sounds a bit more plausible to me than demolition, since they would likely have announced ahead of time if this was demolition similar to Thunder Road) But why even give Racer Thunder Road's old trains if it too is kicking the bucket the very same year (aka basically they should ALL go to KD for Rebel Yell then)? RMC Racer would also require completely different trains...

Then again, this could be mere teasing and the 2 "1972" things are completely different, like shop buildings or something, to make way for some new flat rides or something. Or the park entrance is being revamped. I really hope it is one of these things over Racer. I also wouldn't want to see the Eiffel Tower, Monster, or anything like that kick the bucket either...

Hopefully they really are just using this to throw us off, so we may be breathing a huge sigh of relief come tomorrow should Racer actually be staying. Followed by possible excitement over whatever new ride(s)/attractions are coming in 2016.

• Like 5

I love Don's tweet with the picture of Firehawk. I actually laughed out loud. Good one, Don.

Yeah...Firehawk is another way to say phoenix. A phoenix rises anew from its ashes...

I think this supports Racer getting a refurb.

Of course, I don't know squat and I just really like speculating on these things until we find out tomorrow.

• Like 3

My roommate made a suggestion that never even crossed my mind. The Coney Mall sign is gone, effectively removing any observable barrier between Coney Mall and Oktoberfest.

Not everyone rides rides. Not everyone sees shows. Not everyone eats in the park. One thing that virtually everyone in the park experiences is the park itself. The image on Twitter was of Coney Mall. The rides that Don has tweeted images of are in Coney Mall (yes, Firehawk, too. X-Base is in Coney Mall).

What if the "two things" in question are Coney Mall and Oktoberfest? Could it be that they are being consolidated into one new themed area?

*DISCLAIMER* Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know. What I mean is, this is SPECULATION. I have no insider information. I just pointed some things out to my roommate and he came up with an idea that seems to match the clues that we have.

• Like 13

I am also hearing rumblings that two things that have been at the park since 1972 that virtually everybody has experienced will be removed to make way for something new.

"that virtually everyone has experienced"  Quite an interesting phrase....almost everyone....experienced and not necessarily ridden....what could possibly be experienced without being ridden and has been around since 1972? ....Plus...two things...My guess that whatever they are, they are in close proximity...

• Like 6

^^ Great Insight.

I think I have already ruled out that they are not getting rid of The Racer, I know the "two things" are most likely not attractions. The likely hood of them opening up the area where Coney Mall and Oktoberfest meet is highly plausible, but then again half of me wants to say that the park will keep Coney Mall as Coney Mall to always have something to pay homage to Kings Island's original park near the Ohio River.

• Like 3

Just because there is 178 viewing this topic right now.

The server will be taken offline at 3am tonight for about a half hour as we add more RAM to the server. I have a feeling we may need it for tomorrow.

A "performance mode" if you will has been enabled for the time being. Certain features like how many is online and search will not be available for the time being.

• Like 13

My roommate made a suggestion that never even crossed my mind. The Coney Mall sign is gone, effectively removing any observable barrier between Coney Mall and Oktoberfest.

Not everyone rides rides. Not everyone sees shows. Not everyone eats in the park. One thing that virtually everyone in the park experiences is the park itself. The image on Twitter was of Coney Mall. The rides that Don has tweeted images of are in Coney Mall (yes, Firehawk, too. X-Base is in Coney Mall).

What if the "two things" in question are Coney Mall and Oktoberfest? Could it be that they are being consolidated into one new themed area?

*DISCLAIMER* Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know. What I mean is, this is SPECULATION. I have no insider information. I just pointed some things out to my roommate and he came up with an idea that seems to match the clues that we have.

I like the sound of this
  • Like 2

I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop.

Out with the old.

The eye contact could be with the ticket and pass takers at the toll booths off of Kings Island Drive, the "pseudo 'race'" could be referencing the "race" with the other cars to get to the best parking spot, as "the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop," possibly references pulling into the parking space before entering the park.

Now, there are two things that nearly everyone has experienced since 1972 being removed, and there are two parking lot toll booths, one near Dog Street Cemetery in the North end of the Parking lot, which is barely used, and one on the South end near Soak City. The one that is used more frequently is the South toll booth, and there is always a huge line and long wait. Perhaps both toll booths are being replaced and upgraded to provide more vehicle capacity, much like at Carowinds this past year, as someone else brought up.

Well played Kings Island, well played.

Blondy, trying to decode 2016.

• Like 12