2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop.

Out with the old.

Darn. And there went the potential sponsorship by Ram pickup trucks.

Oh well. Maybe a sponsorship deal can be made with Avenger sedans instead.

- Me, who actually drives a Focus.

• Like 3

I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop.

Out with the old.

Darn. And there went the potential sponsorship by Ram pickup trucks.

Oh well. Maybe a sponsorship deal can be made with Avenger sedans instead.

- Me, who actually drives a Focus.

"The Dodge Avenger - the sports car for people who want a sports car, but they also want four doors and comfort and safety and good gas mileage and trunk space and they don't want it to do anything too scary"

- homestar92, who might have considered liking the Avenger if not for its comically un-ergonomic steering wheel.

• Like 3

I loved the first tweet about "something from 1972", but this one makes it too obvious that Racer is not going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/KICentral/status/633766061834379268

Assuming the 1972 portion is still accurate, it's still a bit sad.  I can't think of anything original to the park which I would think is past its time.  Then again, I don't get to see the maintenance budget. :)

• Like 1

I'm thinking through what has been around since '72 and is in the area (Coney Mall) that seems to have been focused on throughout today's media. The Dodgems are right there as well as what everyone has been discussing throughout the evening. 

I don't see a reason to remove the Dodgems, but if they do that would be a little saddening as well. I have ridden that ride more than any in the park, except for Diamondback, and it would be sad to see it removed.

Unless it is replaced by new Dodgems. Which would be fantastic.

• Like 1

Perhaps I should have been more clear...

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/shrek/kimap1972.jpg

Look at the map and determine what is still in the park and pick two "experiences" to remove. :D

May I direct your attention to Oktoberfest.....Oktoberfest Pond and Biergarten were around in 1972 and would free up a ton of space for construction (if they actually chose to go that route).

• Like 2

The toll booth theory makes sense, especially since there is road work planned.  The Western  Row off ramp directly southwest of Kings Island is one of the worst in the area and the current south entrance and exit to Kings Island is a cluster.  How many of us regular visitors/locals have seen someone turn left at the light into the exit instead of going the few hundred feet down and turning into the entry plaza.  You can see it coming too.  "Don't do it, don't do it" ... sigh ... That needs fixed and relocating the toll booths is probably necessary.  The current booths are showing their age and are kind of crappy.  They would probably be better off with one wider entrance too. 

Of course, this wouldn't be a major announcement, so god knows what that is.  I would consider what they did last year with the two new kiddy rides and store revamps as course-of-business rather than "major" for a park the size of Kings Island.  A major announcement is probably an investment worth at least a few million.  Maybe a couple pretty good flats or one big one.  Perhaps they are going to open up the area around the Carousel to be for the classic flats that Cedar Fair has those guys scouring Europe looking for.  The space surrounding the Eifel Tower from Tower Gardens to the International Theater is a lot of prime real estate not doing much.  They could add a few flats and still have plenty of greenspace.

• Like 8

They had greatly modified the cars, themeing them in a Jetson's style, at great detriment to the ride experience. I have no idea what happened to it, though I fear it was junked.

That's the one I recall! My dad loved that one, so did I! 

I would prefer them not to so anything to the biergarten. That's a good place for families that have a traditional sit down dinner. And you can leave gramps there when he gets tired.

• Like 2

It's a revamping not an instalment. I could be wrong but a trademark would have been purchased by now. They already have the name for Voyage to the Iron Reef. It's just food for thought.

Also there is the trademark for Centurion still hanging on in the arsenal.

• Like 2

I am simply posting some observations as I read over this thread. Maybe they will spark discussion, maybe not. The following three posts were all made by BoddaH1994 today:

1. If this were Cedar Point the major announcement would just be that there will be an announcement. Notice the camera angle. Hmmmmmmmm.

2. I am also hearing rumblings that two things that have been at the park since 1972 that virtually everybody has experienced will be removed to make way for something new.

3. I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop. Out with the old.

Regardless of his intentions or knowledge of the impending announcement, I find his choice of words (particularly those highlighted in red) interesting. I imagine they were chosen with care. A number of things come to mind, so I will share some links, one of which is the CF Capital Investment Strategy from the Cedar Point Analyst Day (as posted earlier by Oldschool75). Note that at least one interactive dark ride/digital experience and at least one coaster rework are on tap for 2016.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/cedar-fair-to-test-virtual-reality-on-roller-coaster/34548762

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/93c170c8d8cd81aabdfd7565c0757636.jpg

• Like 5

I'm honestly dreading this announcement. I really don't want anything to happen to Racer other than a paint job. Even then, I don't think a paint job would deserve an announcement, you know?

Last time I rode, I noticed how filthy the little tunnels you sit in before going back into the station are. There was clear vomit splatter, and lots of dirty handprints. I thought it was pretty clear that they weren't cleaned considering I had went really early in the season.

I mean, and if they take out Racer, they'd have to update the trivia on FunTV and I think that sounds like a lot of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

They aren't going to have a press conference to say their big 2016 addition is new toll booth or entrance. 

The only scenarios where Racer would be going anywhere would be if they were going to RMC it(which is not likely to happen for 2016), or if they were tearing it out for another coaster. If its for another coaster, it would be the 2017 addition as we would have seen work started by now if it was for 2016. But, if it was for 2017, they might need to start tearing Racer down in the offseason, so they want to give people a chance to ride it. If thats the case, they will still need to do something in that area for 2016 for their press conference to make sense. Can't announce a 2017 ride this early, and they've said its #Newfor2016. But really I think Racer is safe for now.

I think the Coney Mall refurb is the most likely scenario. Probably get a new flat or a few even like Cedar Point got a couple years ago. Might lose a couple in the process to make room. Which would explain the timing. "Ride this for the last time", otherwise, a Coney Mall refurb would likely be a later announcement. 

• Like 6

I am simply posting some observations as I read over this thread. Maybe they will spark discussion, maybe not. The following three posts were all made by BoddaH1994 today:

1. If this were Cedar Point the major announcement would just be that there will be an announcement. Notice the camera angle. Hmmmmmmmm.

2. I am also hearing rumblings that two things that have been at the park since 1972 that virtually everybody has experienced will be removed to make way for something new.

3. I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop. Out with the old.

Regardless of his intentions or knowledge of the impending announcement, I find his choice of words (particularly those highlighted in red) interesting. I imagine they were chosen with care. A number of things come to mind, so I will share some links, one of which is the CF Capital Investment Strategy from the Cedar Point Analyst Day (as posted earlier by Oldschool75). Note that at least one interactive dark ride/digital experience and at least one coaster rework are on tap for 2016.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/cedar-fair-to-test-virtual-reality-on-roller-coaster/34548762

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/93c170c8d8cd81aabdfd7565c0757636.jpg

This ride is where I proposed to that man I married. I was afraid of dropping the ring on any other ride.

• Like 6