2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

I can start to see a new parking booth and a Coney Mall refurbishment, what I would like:

1. Restoration of The Racer to 1972

2. New classic flat rides

3. A light package similar to the Gemeni Midway.

4. Maybe a Vortex repaint and replacement of chasing lights would be nice.

• Like 1

I can start to see a new parking booth and a Coney Mall refurbishment, what I would like:

1. Restoration of The Racer to 1972

2. New classic flat rides

3. A light package similar to the Gemeni Midway.

4. Maybe a Vortex repaint and replacement of chasing lights would be nice.

I agree with those who don't think relocation/renovation of the toll booths is worth a press conference.

And while it's not a trivial task, painting a ride is just something that happens from time to time in its lifespan - it's maintenance. Bat got a new paint job recently and it wasn't publicized ahead of time (was there a pre-announcement for Flight Deck getting renamed?). I feel very similar to a light package.

I think anything that's not a new attraction, or major change of an existing one, is not worth the buzz they're trying to generate.

• Like 2

Agreed. The last thing you want for your announcement is a case of anticipointment. You don't drum up a buzz for something like upgraded toll booths, which 99.9% of people would not notice a change in nor care if a change occurs. Unless of course, like Carowinds, said booths are just one piece in a large set of overall park improvements.

• Like 2

You also wouldn't have a press conference to announce you're tearing down a beloved icon of the park. I mean unless you want to be the biggest heels in the amusement park world.

Unless your announcement is, "Hey, we're removing this thing, but look at the exciting thing that we're building to take its place"

Of course, many will still be upset, but such is the nature of ANY change. And that applies to anything in life, really.

• Like 1

Unless your announcement is, "Hey, we're removing this thing, but look at the exciting thing that we're building to take its place"

Last year, CW got that, but without the "[something] to take it's place'" part... Hey, we're taking out a ride, but someday, who knows when, we'll build something in it's place... In the meantime, here's a nice patch of grass to look at...

Oh well, more of my money for CP and KI...

• Like 1

You also wouldn't have a press conference to announce you're tearing down a beloved icon of the park. I mean unless you want to be the biggest heels in the amusement park world.

Really? You'd rather them just bring in the demo crew without telling the public before hand?

I am simply posting some observations as I read over this thread. Maybe they will spark discussion, maybe not. The following three posts were all made by BoddaH1994 today:

1. If this were Cedar Point the major announcement would just be that there will be an announcement. Notice the camera angle. Hmmmmmmmm.

2. I am also hearing rumblings that two things that have been at the park since 1972 that virtually everybody has experienced will be removed to make way for something new.

3. I think the thing it'll miss most is making eye contact with others before the pseudo "race," but we all know that the fun really starts once you come to a complete stop. Out with the old.

Regardless of his intentions or knowledge of the impending announcement, I find his choice of words (particularly those highlighted in red) interesting. I imagine they were chosen with care. A number of things come to mind, so I will share some links, one of which is the CF Capital Investment Strategy from the Cedar Point Analyst Day (as posted earlier by Oldschool75). Note that at least one interactive dark ride/digital experience and at least one coaster rework are on tap for 2016.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/cedar-fair-to-test-virtual-reality-on-roller-coaster/34548762

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/18/93c170c8d8cd81aabdfd7565c0757636.jpg

This is a good theory and makes sense of what BoddaH1994 has said. However, Don said it is something that has been experienced by nearly everyone since 1972. That removes the action theater from the equation and thus brings us to a difficult stalemate. My original thinking is a entrance reboot and removal of the theater. That brings into question though is the theater in that bad of shape? I think not, so that doesn't make much sense so I am throwing at least the latter of that theory out. So what are we left with? There is a stake over in the gardens, but I have only seen one. What is the point of one stake in the gardens if they are planning on doing something big over there? This is a tough one.

Don, could we have some flower pots please?

• Like 2

It obviously isn't too major of an announcement to show it up out of the blue one day before had, less than 24 hours before the announcement.

Especially when a MAJOR announcement like Banshee, or Diamondback had a set date, and time at least a week in advanced. So this can't be too major of an announcement. But obviously it is a major announcement to the park, and I can't wait to see what the park has in-store this year!

• Like 7

This is a good theory and makes sense of what BoddaH1994 has said. However, Don said it is something that has been experienced by nearly everyone since 1972. That removes the action theater from the equation and thus brings us to a difficult stalemate. My original thinking is a entrance reboot and removal of the theater. That brings into question though is the theater in that bad of shape? I think not, so that doesn't make much sense so I am throwing at least the latter of that theory out. So what are we left with? There is a stake over in the gardens, but I have only seen one. What is the point of one stake in the gardens if they are planning on doing something big over there? This is a tough one.

Don, could we have some flower pots please?

I concede that I have not been able to make any sense of the 1972 lead. Unless it refers to a non-ride (entrance work, etc). Did Don, himself, make that statement? I have only read that hint in this thread (by BoddaH1994) and on the KIC Twitter (presumably also written by him).

Thinking about Tower Gardens, I don't believe it was even around in 1972, correct? But there is a stake...

• Like 2