2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

I'm not buying the story of The Racer being removed to make way for another attraction. This scenario simply doesn't coincide with the trends Cedar Fair has exhibited over the last 9 years since they purchased the park. I believe this is a well played marketing strategy to bring attention to the ride and give it some well deserved attention. If I were going to venture a guess I would say that the plan is to do a complete restoration, new trains and a return of the backward coaster. The announcement may also include a new haunt attraction - not some hyper or strata coaster! This is still a family park and there is rich history that plays into the planning and decisions for each new attraction. Removing The Racer and replacing with another steel coaster would be a terrible marketing decision that would only appeal to a niche crowd. Cedar Fair is well aware of this and I'm calling the bluff. I say this is well played and I can't wait to hear the announcement today! Otherwise, I won't be renewing my 2016 season pass ;)

• Like 5

Here is my guess.  This is going a lot of my gut feeling, but also in what I want/don't want to see (in other words, heavy bias).

- Racer will not be torn down

- New front gate and/or fountain rehab (fits what CF has done with CP, Carowinds and KD)

- New thrilling flat or dark ride

• Like 6

Just got here. Doesn't seem too busy.

Might have something to do with the projected t-storms today :P

Because of that, I'd expect the press-conference to be in Festhaus. It hasn't been announced publicly where it will be announced, to my knowledge, but just keep your eye out for some sort of congregation with cameras in one direction, maybe a screen, around the time of 1:30..

Remember, there are no shows in Festhaus today.. -- or KI Theater , and both are rain proof ;)

EDIT- But I guessed incorrectly :P

• Like 1

Here is my guess. This is going a lot of my gut feeling, but also in what I want/don't want to see (in other words, heavy bias).

- Racer will not be torn down

- New front gate and/or fountain rehab (fits what CF has done with CP, Carowinds and KD)

- New thrilling flat or dark ride

I totally agree. I think we will see the return of a water canal dark ride type attraction. The public has wanted it since the Enchanted Voyage was removed and the Lost River was a staple at Coney until it closed with the park in 71. I think there is a great public desire to see this happen! I have faith that Cedar Fair has made the right decisions for this park. They haven't disappointed me yet!

• Like 1

I'm leaving at 1:30 to have a "late lunch," then as soon as the news is known, it's back to work I go!

I'll be the 40's-ish dude in the geek-chic glasses and bright-pastel green (sun-bleached Eiffel green) shirt, probably wearing a backpack. See y'all there.

EDIT: I just called the park (imagine that?) ...they don't know.. all they have is "TBD". This is becoming more fun than I thought!

• Like 6

At the park today and no employees know where this announcement will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The location for the announcement is in a place that can only be found by those who know where it's at.

That confirms that The Racer is being torn down. They won't even tell Don where its at for fear of reprisals. 

• Like 4

At the park today and no employees know where this announcement will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The location for the announcement is in a place that can only be found by those who know where it's at.

It's in the Room of Requirement?! I knew I should have stayed at Hogwarts over the summer.
  • Like 8