2016 announcement?

Oldschool75

How many slides are in the complex?

Six. Three trapdoor slides and three gentler, less thrilling slides.

Drats!!!! I can't SWIM!!! Congrats on the NEW Addition to the Park KI! I still Love Ya. Maybe offer free hour of swim lessons once a week for a month before the park opens from May to June. Hmmmm?

I can't swim either, but I still enjoy waterparks. The vast majority of attractions at waterparks do not have water deeper than four feet. As long as you can go underwater and recover to a standing position without assistance, you can do most slides safely.

• Like 4

I'm sure these will be great additions to the park. Soak City has needed a new slide complex for a long time, and the parking lot booth situation was always a little confusing.

However, considering the fact that I don't go to the waterpark and don't buy souvenir cups, these changes mean little to me personally.

• Like 6

This is a good addition for anyone that likes waterparks. Other Cedar Fair parks have gotten the same slide complex over the past couple of years. I have tried all 6 slides at Dorney. The first time you are standing in the capsule and the floor drops out is a cool feeling and all 3 slides are very fast. For the tube slides, the 2 regular slides are short but both have great drops, especially the one with the double down. They also have a small section of different color rings around the slide that looks cool when you slide past them. The constrictor slide is my favorite of the slides. It's not intense although you go up the sides of the spirals more than a regular slide.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to seeing the new parking structure. It will be more convenient for those coming from the north since the north tolls are rarely open anyway (except on extremely busy days), and I'm particularly excited about dedicated lanes for passholders.

The new slide complex will be interesting to see. I'm not a huge fan of body slides, so I don't know if I'll be taking advantage of those slides (and likely won't be doing the aqua launch slide). I don't visit Soak City much anyway, but that could change depending on how the new slide complex affects lines at things I like riding. I still think a water coaster would be a great addition as well, but at least it sounds like they're trying to appeal to everyone rather than just enthusiasts, which is a good thing.

I have no idea if I'll be taking advantage of the new "free refills all season" souvenir cup. I got a free souvenir cup this season at Coasterstock and have rarely taken it to the park at all. Most of the time I'd either get water throughout the day or pay for drink when I got my meal.

• Like 4

Because the tolls are in conjunction with the Kings Island Dr improvements, here's what kind of changes are to be expected around the area of Kings Island to be completed around 2018 in its entirety.

http://imaginewesternrow.com/projects

There's no picture for one note in the plan overview, but the north entrance will finally be getting a dedicated left-turn lane.

• Like 7

I won't be going to Soak City till I'm older, but I'm pretty excited about Tropical Plunge! Oh and the new toll plaza! whoo hoo! I've been waiting on that! The parks front entrance is what needs to be next......

Oh and I'm getting a 2016 gold pass! It will only be used 2 or 3 times, but at least I can have one! and my dad won't have to pay for parking or me! ha

Edited by TheBeast1116
  • Like 7

And Platinum Passes?

Cedar Point have the platinum passes on sale right now. If you buy a new platinum you get free admission for one day in 2015. If you are a renewal you get a free fast pass valid any 2015 day (except Saturday). They seem the same price wise as last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I didn't meet anyone but it was neat being at the announcement anyway. I'm a little shy when it comes to meeting new people. Maybe next time.

The KIC group was at the front, right behind the rope on the right-hand side. I was wearing my white KICentral shirt. Did you see us?

• Like 2

I saw the news on break at work and am finally caught up in reading about all the excitement! First, I'm pumped about the three drop slides as I've enjoyed the ones I've ridden at Dorney and Kentucky Kingdom (Snake Pit and Deep Water Dive, respectively) and have always wanted one at KI. I'm seriously super glad that these types of slides are so close to us!  :D However, I'll be curious to see if Pineapple Pipeline (Bonsai Pipeline to those WaterWorks fans like me!) loses some ridership as the middle slide is essentially a basic capsule slide minus the capsule. Second, the automatic pass holder parking lane sounds cool as I'll be getting (or receiving, as in a possible birthday/Christmas present) a Gold or Platinum Pass for next year and it will surely be more convenient (I don't mind the tolls as they are now, but this is still really cool news). However, I do have questions about where the tolls and slides will be. Also, are the North tolls closer to 71N (where Adventure Express and Beast lots are)? And will anything be done with the main tolls? Thanks for answering these questions.

EDIT: Tropical Plunge location confirmed. Still wondering about the parking tolls location, though I think I have a good idea based on the related thread about the slides.

• Like 6

Also, are the North tolls closer to 71N (where Adventure Express and Beast lots are)? And will anything be done with the main tolls?

Both the current north tolls (near the bend in KI Drive where the guardrail is) and the current south tolls (aka main tolls) are being removed completely (this is the "two original things" that BoddaH1994 was semi-trolling us about yesterday). The new toll plaza will be the only plaza, located in the northern section of the parking lot (precise location unknown to us at the moment).

• Like 5

I understand now; thanks Goble for explaining (I had to look at Google maps for reference! :P). And wow, both of those are going to be taken out... that's crazy! I wonder how much the parking lot will be reconfigured to accommodate the new (and only) entrance.

• Like 4

I'm not a Soaker, myself, but am quite happy to see the new Tropical Punch. Sometimes in driving by, I can see the long hot lines on the attractions, this wil spread people out a bit. That many slides will surely have a high capacity.

And the new parking entrance will save me from shouting "They are trying to KILL US ALL!" Every time Itry to pull into the parking lot.

• Like 3

Some are happy, others, sad that Racers aren't getting the boot? Or that people wanted a flat, meanwhile, BB1 is just happy with future relaxing in that beautiful piece of fiberglass.

• Like 3

And Platinum Passes?

Cedar Point have the platinum passes on sale right now. If you buy a new platinum you get free admission for one day in 2015. If you are a renewal you get a free fast pass valid any 2015 day (except Saturday). They seem the same price wise as last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was kinda hoping to score a day of Fast Lane with renewal of our KI Gold Passes like last year.  Curious to see how they promote it on the website tomorrow.

• Like 1

I wonder if The Racer closing scare was Kings Island trying to reference the uproar of people who were angry at Carowinds for closing Thunder Road after it was too late, judging by the last line in the article where Don said "If there is a ride that's your favorite and don't want it to be removed, then the best thing to do is to try and ride it." Thunder Road didn't just close because of structural issues from when the paint was removed, but rather due to the fact that Carowinds didn't think the ride was popular enough to fix, and decided to close it. It made me think that The Racer will follow Thunder Road if those that were worried that it would be sacrificed didn't start riding it, and that once it's officially going to be history, it's too late to ask for it to be saved. I think this is the park trying to get more people to ride our beloved woodie. But sadly, scrolling through Instagram, it seems like a lot of people were hoping it would meet the wrecking ball or get an I-box conversion from Rocky Mountain Construction (I can't tell you how many times I've read RMC over and over in regards to The Racer).

• Like 10

I don't think the stuff about tearing down Racer has entirely to do with how people feel about it.  Throughout the day leading up to the announcement, the Enquirer was heavily hinting towards a change to Racer of some sort.  I'm guessing some people are put off about the rumor not coming true, regardless of if they like it or not. Another rumor circulating among the GP was an RV park, which I see many people also complaining about.  

Also, I feel those comments don't represent a majority of KI's fan base anyhow.  I see enough people who genuinely enjoy Racer on each of my visits to reassure myself of that.  

• Like 5