Virtual-reality theme parks in the near future?

Eh, I don't think any type of VR will be able to replicate the real thing.  I would much rather go to a physical theme/amusement park than put on a pair of goggles and pretend I'm walking around one.  I think technology will have to improve way beyond where we are now in order to make this idea a reality.

I do, however, think that including VR on some rides could be pretty cool.  Imagine riding a ride like Flight of Fear wearing VR goggles and everywhere you look you see new surroundings.  It would actually heighten the ride experience and add an additional element of thrill.  Or what about a dark ride that included something like Microsoft's Hololens?  Each ride car would have a few pairs connected and riders could put them on and see a type of VR overlay on top of the physical sets/props.  Now that is something I could see in the near future.

• Like 6

Eh, I don't think any type of VR will be able to replicate the real thing.  I would much rather go to a physical theme/amusement park than put on a pair of goggles and pretend I'm walking around one.  I think technology will have to improve way beyond where we are now in order to make this idea a reality.

Exactly. One of my family members warns me of the time when one day places like Kings Island will be replaced by VR parks; but I really don't want to think about this as it scares me. Also, reading that article reminds me of a book I read (The Last Christian) where people do things in VR such as relaxing or having a business meeting.

• Like 2

One problem I have with the article is that it makes it sound like it's so miserable to visit a theme park and no one really wants to do it.  They mention the sun and waiting in line and things like that.  I don't see where those things are keeping people away.  I've been to Disney World during one of the hottest months of the summer and it was so crowded you could hardly move.  It seems to me like people are still willing to shell out large amounts of money to sweat and wait in lines.  Until attendance makes a rapid drop off at parks around the U.S., then I don't see much demand for a virtual theme park.  I just don't see how it could truly live up to the actual physical experience of visiting a park like Disney or Universal.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see how it could.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

https://youtu.be/FHn_LewVZkg

Now we already know that Cedar Fair has tested and supposedly are still testing this at Canada's Wonderland.

But this video makes me a little excited for this future. Maybe a coaster train that has the headset connected to the seat.

To see people's reaction after using this technology makes me think it will be an awesome thing for a new coaster or a ride that isnt very thrilling alone.

• Like 2