Carowinds: "There's more than one way to make a BIG splash in 2016..."

I wish Terpy, less than a month left. With a Rebel Yell, I cry more more more. In the midnight hour, I cry more more more.

July 26th will be a sad night, lots of tears will be shed.

It is a waterpark expansion, permits have been found for a "bathhouse" and "rain fortress pump house". I dare predict a slide complex and new South Gate.

• Like 8

I wish Terpy, less than a month left. With a Rebel Yell, I cry more more more. In the midnight hour, I cry more more more.

July 26th will be a sad night, lots of tears will be shed.

It is a waterpark expansion, permits have been found for a "bathhouse" and "rain fortress pump house". I dare predict a slide complex and new South Gate.

Red herrings.  Carowinds has already shown they understand how they work and how to implement them.  If you get your mind set that they're going one way before an official announcement, you'll spend a Centuri-on remembering how wrong you were.

That said, it would be very interesting and a different tactic to file permits they never intend to use in order to teasingly mislead fans.

It is not impossible to put in two major roller coasters in two years. With enough planning it's certainly possible. But at the same time, There is like. a 5% chance of another roller coaster.

It's definitely not impossible.  Carowinds is likely to see elevated investment for some time if the plan is truly to turn it into a Cedar Point of the South.  That is, of course, if they mean by size of park, ride line-up, capacity, attendance, and the like.  Part of the "DNA" of Cedar Point is roller coasters; the park is well-known for building record-breaking rides.  That is something that they really started at Carowinds with Intimidator and Fury 325.  It's not impossible for them to quickly follow it up with another coaster.

Still, they likely won't want to rush the improvements that much.  SIX taught the industry many valuable lessons pre-bankruptcy.

• Like 5

I was surely glad I got to ride Thunder Road before they dimanteled it. I wasn't attached to it like others because I just made my first trip to Carowinds a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still surprised they are getting rid of a ride like that. It was a fun and great racing woodie. I understand why they are doing it, with the location and how often they use that parking lot, there is plenty of room for a water park expansion. But to be honest I don't know why they can't just clear the parking lot and use that for the water park expansion and just place a walking path underneath it similar to the water park pathway under Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion.

• Like 4

Perhaps they're building something that needs to be where the coaster currently is. A ProSlide Tornado takes almost exactly the same amount of land area as Thunder Road's turnaround.

- homestar92, who has no insider knowledge, but would be quite pleased if this "prediction" is correct.

• Like 2

If it's the Cedar Point of the south? Is it running out of room too?

Didn't Carowinds just purchase some surrounding land not to long ago?  

Also, along with doubting a new coaster coming for Carowinds next year, I also doubt Vortex would be getting a floorless conversion.  It'd probably be better to tear it down and replace it with a floorless coaster with a better layout than what Vortex does (same for the CGA counterpart).  

• Like 2

No fair. So Carowinds gets a 325ft. roller coaster this year and already is teasing something for next year...

C'mon Kings Island, give us something!

We are also losing the best woodie the park, possibly bumper cars too. Sounds to me like they are cutting expenses.
  • Like 1