Carowinds: "There's more than one way to make a BIG splash in 2016..."

That's not how it was under Paramount. Any ride in both states got inspected by both.

In addition, the two state situation created nightmares with state tax collection, criminal law enforcement, building codes, ride procedures and on and on.

I cannot imagine that a state with potential liability would allow another state sole inspection rights for a ride partly in their (and ONLY their) jurisdiction.

The fact Thunder Road was marketed as being an interstate ride....

• Like 5

In addition, the two state situation created nightmares with state tax collection, criminal law enforcement, building codes, ride procedures and on and on.

Makes one wonder why they chose to build on the state line in the first place...

Well, were state inspections (responsibilities towards the amusement industry) of the 70s as big of a deal as they are today?

• Like 4

It's definitely a plus in some regards. I would imagine (having never been a local to Carowinds) that the park "belongs to" both states in terms of the collective consciousness of the people, which is maybe a psychological plus? Is that how it feels, or would locals consider it one state over the other?

Very unusual. And a logistical nightmare?

• Like 1

^^ I see "inspections" was a poor word choice on my part. I was trying to think of a word that summed up all that was quoted. In a rush, "inspections" was all I had. I've edited my post to better reflect my line of thought.

I'm not just talking about amusement parks here. Of what I originally quoted, sales tax, law enforcement, and building codes are completely independent of the amusement industry. In essence, why would anyone build any business of any kind where it straddles a state border?

• Like 2

Has anyone already posted this and I missed it? Plans leaked.

http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4335&start=555

New external entrance, wave pool, water play structure (replacing existing wave pool), slide complex, and two new bath houses. 

9Zwu183.jpg

Via Carowinds Conneciton user "FamousAmos" at page link above so you can see why Thunder Road is being removed (or maybe you can't): 

Screen_Shot_2015_08_12_at_12_55_39_AM.pn

• Like 2

^^ I see "inspections" was a poor word choice on my part. I was trying to think of a word that summed up all that was quoted. In a rush, "inspections" was all I had. I've edited my post to better reflect my line of thought.

I'm not just talking about amusement parks here. Of what I originally quoted, sales tax, law enforcement, and building codes are completely independent of the amusement industry. In essence, why would anyone build any business of any kind where it straddles a state border?

True, but you did not clarify that in your first post and, as this is a forum built upon amusement parks, it is easy to assume you are only talking about amusement parks.

• Like 2

True, but you did not clarify that in your first post and, as this is a forum built upon amusement parks, it is easy to assume you are only talking about amusement parks.

Fair enough. Both of us could have been clearer initially. :)

• Like 2

That's not how it was under Paramount. Any ride in both states got inspected by both.

I cannot imagine that a state with potential liability would allow another state sole inspection rights for a ride partly in their (and ONLY their) jurisdiction.

The fact Thunder Road was marketed as being an interstate ride....

By the time I worked there in 2005, Thunder Road was inspected by South Carolina only and Goldrusher(the real first coaster to cross the state line) was inspected by North Carolina only. The determining factor by then was which state the Station building is in.
  • Like 6

I've said this once. I'll say it again.

Soak City rebrand. Coming to all former Paramount parks.

That's just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-millennium-operation-llc-4352778-page-1-2

And if you're confused about who they are, http://www.bloomberg.com/Research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=288347241

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Makes one wonder why they chose to build on the state line in the first place...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carowinds

Apparently from a inspired trip to Disneyland and coupled with a dream to bring the two states closer together.

• Like 3

This is a move in the right direction. This identity is fresh, cohesive within the park's themed lands, and classy.

Maybe if our water park expansion had come a few years later, we'd have Kings Coast or something more appropriate than the generic Soak City.

• Like 3