Carowinds: "There's more than one way to make a BIG splash in 2016..."

Hmm...well, this is interesting. I was checking CoasterCrazy for No Limits tracks, and saw a forum post on the front page which had this Facebook post in it:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6026&mode=view

Could the end of the current name/theme of the two Intimidators be upon us? Since it is licensed (from Dale Earnhardt Inc.), the contract may be up and Cedar Fair might not renew it so I think it could be possible. I'd have to wonder what the rides could be renamed though- would they keep a similar name/theme, or separate the 2 new-for-2010 steel coasters with different names & themes...also, would they keep the 305 part of Intimidator 305's name in it somehow?

2016 already looks like it will be a very interesting year in the coaster world...

• Like 5

I would sure wonder why they would sign a 5-year agreement, which seems outrageously short unless their plan was to milk the brand for its identity just during its ad campaign and shortly thereafter. 

Anyway, if this is the case, I think they'd have their work cut out for them in rebranding. Keeping the same colors, flags, and racing theme would certainly be dangerous. The owners of the Earnhardt identity could say that Cedar Fair would have purposefully not done enough to distinguish the ride from its former identity, in a sense riding on the coattails of the brand without paying royalties. To be honest, I'm surprised that didn't happen at all when the parks were sold from CBS, but I guess there was a larger deal at play there.

• Like 2

What's more engaging to a customer?

"This year, Boomerang Bay has new slides and has been repainted!"

OR

"Kings Island's brand new and totally expanded Soak City water park!"

Can we not just keep on rubbing it in?

Oh and RollerNut, check out the three eras of the waterpark at Kings Island, you can see the huge differences.

BB1, packing his bags for his trip soon.

• Like 7

One of the two Boomerang Bay water parks left. Soak City is on it's way my friends. Similar to the Planet Snoopy takeover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually that's a little bit off. Originally there were 3 Boomerang Bays, KI, CW, and CGA. The first of the two now being the most themed, the first out, second one out the door, the third still around.
  • Like 1

Could Carolina Harbor be just a new area to Carowinds? We don't take into the idea that an Harbor does not necessarily state a waterpark, it could be a region of water coasters. Just putting ideas out there, remember me as a Centurion?

• Like 3

Hmm...well, this is interesting. I was checking CoasterCrazy for No Limits tracks, and saw a forum post on the front page which had this Facebook post in it:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6026&mode=view

Could the end of the current name/theme of the two Intimidators be upon us? Since it is licensed (from Dale Earnhardt Inc.), the contract may be up and Cedar Fair might not renew it so I think it could be possible. I'd have to wonder what the rides could be renamed though- would they keep a similar name/theme, or separate the 2 new-for-2010 steel coasters with different names & themes...also, would they keep the 305 part of Intimidator 305's name in it somehow?

2016 already looks like it will be a very interesting year in the coaster world...

An update to this: the Intimidator name (both parks) will be back for at least 2016 and the possible future. This image should explain it all...

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6170&mode=view

Well, so much for that rumor.

• Like 3

Could Carolina Harbor be just a new area to Carowinds? We don't take into the idea that an Harbor does not necessarily state a waterpark, it could be a region of water coasters. Just putting ideas out there, remember me as a Centurion?

Have you ever seen/bought a T-shirt specifically for Action Zone?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Cedar Fair giving Carowinds two amazing new slide complexes in a three year span but neglecting to give us one in what is now nine plus years (11 including the Paramount era)?

Regardless, it looks like exciting times indeed are ahead for Carolina water park fanatics. Perhaps BB1 should move there?

Anyway, for those wanting to see the plans here's a link to the discussion page for it on Carowinds Connection (if you want to be surprised on announcement day, do not follow this link):

http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4335&start=555

• Like 4

I think our waterpark hasn't been expanded because of the terrain it's built on. There are ravines and hills everywhere (Before the property was developed into Kings Island, it was considered "wasteland" by the original owners, as it was unfit to farm with), while Carowinds is built on land that is more flat.

• Like 2

I think our waterpark hasn't been expanded because of the terrain it's built on. There are ravines and hills everywhere (Before the property was developed into Kings Island, it was considered "wasteland" by the original owners, as it was unfit to farm with), while Carowinds is built on land that is more flat.

There's plenty of fine flat space they could put some slides, they just have those pesky electrical lines in the way :P. I'm sure they could still fit in some though.

• Like 4