Too Large To Ride?

Steagles

Hey guys. I come here to kick the tires on just how much trouble I'm about to have on rides at KI.

I am 6'1" 290 with a 50" chest and 46" waist. My weight is pretty evenly distributed between being fat and being large boned.

I attached a few recent pictures for reference. Thanks!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11701105_1044082662286146_6481231209876441861_n.jpg?oh=ffaeb8ca58480c04644a1ec17376acb8&oe=562343A0

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11703141_1044082632286149_2402071899516695296_n.jpg?oh=33a8ccf38ae3c31aee2dfbb117b932c7&oe=5626E1FC

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11018522_1044082675619478_5613779840131347075_n.jpg?oh=8647877f74d8e2148234ffc710770296&oe=5658C3B0

Sent from #CardNation using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Welcome to KIC!

I'm a bigger guy, too, but smaller at the waist (I'm 6' ~265lbs, 48 or 50 chest, 38-40 waist).

I think you'll probably be ok on rides with over-the-shoulder restraints. On Banshee, the operator sometimes asks if it's ok for them to push the restraint, but it's never been uncomfortable or restricted my breathing etc.

For sit-down rides, try to sit in the front seat of a car as you get an inch or two more leg room and in the second row my legs are cramped. Well, that's my experience on Vortex, so I just do it by default on others.

You may or may not have issue with rides that secure you via a lap bar, like Diamondback. I have no issue with that ride and see other people larger than me riding it, but with the restraint basically pinning you into the seat at your thighs, having a larger waist may prevent the restraint from doing its job properly. Again, I've sometimes had an operator on Diamondback ask if it's ok to push the restraint and it's never been a problem for me.

I hope this helps you, or at least gives you a better idea of what to expect.

• Like 2

Ok...

In Action Zone, you should fit on just about everything except maybe Drop Tower. If the line is short give it a try, but I'm going to say you probably won't fit on that. On Banshee, ask for row 4. I think 5 is also larger seats too. They will assist you in getting locked in.

In Octoberfest, you should fit fin on the rides.

In Coney Mall On Racer, when you get into the car pull up and lock the seat belt then prop yourself against the seat about half way up the headrest and when they release the restraints, push down one click and then push down the restraint as you sit down to get click number two. FOF might be a tight fit, but try Back Lot Stunt Coaster first, same seats and restraints. If you fit comfortably there, you should fit on FOF. Firehawk, you'll fit ok. WindSeeker, it depends...they will lock you in, but it has to register as locked. Vortex has a seatbelt so it may be a tight fit, but you should fit I think. All other Coney Mall rides - you should fit.

Rivertown - Beast same as Racer, Diamondback - it's all in the thighs, so give it a try!

Planet Snoopy, you should be fine on most of the adult rides. Be sure to ride Woodstock Gliders! Very fun ride.

If the day is hot you should visit Soak City you'll fit on all of the attractions there.

Above all else, enjoy your visit! There is plenty to see and do besides rides - you'll love Cirque Imagine! I'm sure you will love the park as much as all of us on this site do!

• Like 3

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! This will be my eighth trip to KI, but my first since 2011, after my freshman year in high school. I remember a couple tight fits back then, and I'm slightly larger than I was then, but have worn the same shirts since 2010 and and only upped my pants size by one or maybe two, so I expect the same sort of tight fits now, but I'll take it haha. Also, is it true that the far back car on Flight of Fear has more room under the restraints? I've heard that rumor. Thanks again guys!

• Like 4

FOF might be a tight fit, but try Back Lot Stunt Coaster first, same seats and restraints. If you fit comfortably there, you should fit on FOF.

I fit comfortably on Backlot but don't fit FoF.  Even though they're the same restraints, FoF has a seatbelt that connects from the side of the car to the restraint, while Backlot does not.  I curse that seatbelt every time I try to ride FoF!

Also, is it true that the far back car on Flight of Fear has more room under the restraints? I've heard that rumor. Thanks again guys!

I've heard that rumor too.  I know several people who swear by it but it doesn't work for me, but then I have a larger waist than you so you may be fine.

• Like 4

My gf has well.. a bit in the stomach area. That said she is fine with pretty much everything they just have to ask her on some rides if its ok to push for 1 more click and said its fine. On Banshee she has to sit in row 4 though cause it is made bigger than the rest. The only 1 she could not ride was Drop Tower, those restraints are made for tiny people for some reason.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, guys. Tomorrow is the day, so I'll let you know how things work out. I'll definitely be sure to use the Banshee row 4 and half stand to get the second click on the woodies. Thanks again!

• Like 5

So far so good! We rode The Racer as a warm up for my buddy who hasn't ridden one before. I did the stand up thing and I thought I got two clicks but the guy shoved it down one more. I was crammed in but the only word that matters is "in". I tried the delerium test seat and it's fine. Vortex is currently broken down so I'm waiting for The Beast. I think the lapbars will be my only issue lol

• Like 5

Glad you could ride most of it.

Going to hi jack your post. My girl and I are taking her daughter to Kings Island the 1st week of August. I am 6'3", 54" chest, 48" waist, 30" thighs, and weigh 320#. Any chance of me riding much? 

Going to hi jack your post. My girl and I are taking her daughter to Kings Island the 1st week of August. I am 6'3", 54" chest, 48" waist, 30" thighs, and weigh 320#. Any chance of me riding much? 

I would recommend trying all test seats that are available.  I think the ones that will be a definite no go would be the PTC train coasters( Racer, Beast) Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster,and Drop Tower. You may have a shot at the rest of them.  Good Luck! :)

• Like 1

I'm 6'5" 290 and I fit on all rides with the exception of Drop Tower (I can ride but not comfortably). You will probably be fine but I'm not sure about Flight of Fear as your legs have to be pushed together very tightly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So far so good! We rode The Racer as a warm up for my buddy who hasn't ridden one before. I did the stand up thing and I thought I got two clicks but the guy shoved it down one more. I was crammed in but the only word that matters is "in". I tried the delerium test seat and it's fine. Vortex is currently broken down so I'm waiting for The Beast. I think the lapbars will be my only issue lol

I feel like The Racer ops really have no clue where two clicks is. Almost every single time I've ridden it, they have to double check it and convince themselves it's two clicks. I've even had a supervisor (who should know!!) release my restraint, ignoring me completely when I told him it was definitely two clicks, and put it back down. I got a bit of satisfaction out of my "I told you it was two" afterwards. I've also had them tell me it had to go down another, and I told them no, it was already two, then have to go through the whole release restraint, put it back down and prove that it was two. I don't understand why Beast's crew has zero issue with recognizing immediately if it's down two or not when Racer's crew has managed to be oblivious the entire season.

Also, Racer's bars are consistently tighter than Beast's. Consistently. I don't have to cram into Beast. Some seats are slightly more snug than others but I never have to put any effort into getting it down. Racer, I have to force it down the second click, and there have even been times that my seat mate has had to help. And I'm not *that* big. 

• Like 4

If I were you, I'd be glad that the ops (and supervisor) insisted that they feel comfortable you were properly secured before dispatching the train.

If they took your word for it and you really weren't properly secured, and the unfortunate happened, everyone would wish the ops had insisted on double-checking your restraint.  Like they're supposed to.

*sigh*

As a former ride op, I feel like they should know their ride. It's not hard. It doesn't take a whole lot of time working on a ride to get to the point where you can immediately tell if it's down the correct amount or not. When your guests have to correct you on your own ride, you aren't doing your job. Like I said, Beast's crew, never an issue. Racer's crew, an issue every time. I was there on Friday and had to argue with a ride op, as I do EVERY TIME, that yes, it was down two. This far into the season, it should not continue to be a problem. 

• Like 3

You don't have to argue.  If the ride ops don't feel that you are properly restrained, they should not dispatch the train.  It's that simple.

Politely discuss if you wish, but it's up to them to clear you.

Arguing with flight attendants is a great way to be kicked off of a plane.

Guests fitting in rides is a sensitive enough issue that parks usually do everything they can to bring very little attention to it. As a paying guest of the park, I feel like the ride operators should know their restraints better than I do, and they don't. Period. As I said, I am not *that* big, and I do fit without any issue on all of the rides in the park. So why is Racer the only one that I have to have this argument with every time I ride it? I honestly don't like riding Racer anymore because I know they're going to either tell me it has to go down one more click when it doesn't, or they're going to make a scene by releasing and re-locking the restraints. I do NOT like being the center of attention due to my weight, especially when it's completely unnecessary.

Every ride has some "trick" to being able to visually confirm if a restraint is down. It may be a sensor that trips a light (WindSeeker), a mark on the restraint (Backlot), or just knowing what part of the train it should be even with (Beast & Racer - btw, it should be roughly even with the grab bar). This is normally included in training and becomes second nature in a very short period of time. The fact that is consistently questioned and that they can't just visually confirm it while walking past makes me believe that they do not train this "trick" when training their operators, and therefore, are causing guest issues that shouldn't exist. How many people have had to take a walk of shame off that ride because the operator thought it was only down one click and it was actually correctly locked? I almost have. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that don't know the 2-click rule, or count the clicks as they lower their bar, that had no clue that the operator was wrong. And trust me, taking a walk of shame can and will ruin a guest's entire day. 

• Like 3

If I were consistently having that problem and still wanted to ride (I completely understand the urge to say screw it when it's always a hassle, tho) I wouldn't /ever/ put down my own bar. If the ride op does it, hopefully they would be more aware if it was two clicks. It's much faster to let them do it in the first place than to undo and redo it.

• Like 3

If I were consistently having that problem and still wanted to ride (I completely understand the urge to say screw it when it's always a hassle, tho) I wouldn't /ever/ put down my own bar. If the ride op does it, hopefully they would be more aware if it was two clicks. It's much faster to let them do it in the first place than to undo and redo it.

I'm too stubborn for that. lol. That was my husband's solution too and my response was "they need to learn their ride."

• Like 2

Once you've had a ride op forcefully JAM down the bar with painful force, too fast, too far, and giggling evilly (perhaps because they are perturbed they have to do it), then refuse to release the restraint and let you out before a terribly painful ride, you will never let that potentially happen again.

• Like 3

I'm not a big person by any means (5'1", 140lbs) but I carry my weight all in my butt and thighs. I even have issues on Racer. That is my only trouble spot at KI. At Cedar Point, I have issues with barely fitting on multiple rides. It's not a matter of how much you weigh or how tall you are (assuming lap bars only), its where you carry it

• Like 5