Shockwave closing at KD

I missed out on King Cobra and SkyRider, so I'm definitely glad that I'm going to KD before this type disappears from North America.

Shameless plug: We still have room for someone to come with us to take Last Stand(s) on Shockwave (& last ride(s) on Thunder Road) next weekend! http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/30835-carowindskd-weekend-roadtrip-summer-2015-dates-tbd/page-4

• Like 4

I was fortunate enough to ride Skyrider last year, so I can say that I rode all three Togo stand ups at the former KECO parks.  King Cobra and Skyrider were nearly identical in layout and Shockwave had a slightly different ending.  

The rides were fun.  I thoroughly enjoyed King Cobra more than Mantis or even Vortex at Carowinds.  I was not sad to see Mantis retrofitted.  I was sad when King Cobra left Kings Island though.  Stand ups are on their way out.  I wonder what Kings Dominion has planned to replace Shockwave.

• Like 10

I already posted this in the KD/Carowinds roadtrip topic, but thought it would fit here too.

I wish I had known this a little earlier, as it would have weighed in my decision of KD vs. BGW.  When I went to KD before, it was when KI still had King Cobra and I decided that I wouldn't ride Shockwave (or FoF) because of the similarities... yes, this was before I cared about my coaster count or riding for any potential differences in the ride experiences.  I was fortunate enough to ride Skyrider at Canada's Wonderland last year for the first time right before it's removal, so it would have been cool to ride Shockwave right before it's removal too.  But now Mrs. Gator has already bought our BGW tickets from AAA.  Oh well, it's just not meant to be.  I'll just try not to think of Shockwave while I'm enjoying my time at BGW!

• Like 2

Boooooooooo.

I was planning a trip to KD just to ride that coaster,  but in September. King Cobra was my absolute favorite 

coaster when I was a kid. I just knew it was gonna be closed soon, I just didn't expect it to be "hey you've gotta month, 

then we're gonna close it type of deal. 

Crap, maybe I'll just head to Carowinds, Instead.

• Like 2

I rode it last year. Once you get over the nostalgia factor of it being like King Cobra it's not really a great ride.

Have you ridden Hurler before? That was the ride that should've been removed.
  • Like 1

I rode it last year. Once you get over the nostalgia factor of it being like King Cobra it's not really a great ride.

Have you ridden Hurler before? That was the ride that should've been removed.

Yes. It is the worst coaster at KD. Shockwave is second.

• Like 2

Well, that stinks. :( I've never actually been on a Togo Stand-up before and was really hoping to ride one. When I went to KD back in the day, I wasn't tall enough and I never got to ride King Cobra because I was too short- I got a Walk of Shame because the seat was down as far as it could go and I was on my tip toes. Oh well, there's always Japan!

• Like 3

That's too bad, but kind of surprised it's hung around this long. If internet rumors are to believed, lack of parts and the difficulty in keeping it operating was what did in King Cobra (which, it's hard to believe now how long ago that was!).

I was always a fan of the Togo stand-ups...much more so than the B&M model. In fact, the only Togo I think I've ridden that wasn't a standup was the one at NY/NY in Vegas, and that coaster was horrible!

• Like 3

I rode the one in Vegas long before I was remotely close to being an enthusiast so I honestly don't remember much about it. The thing that stands out in my mind the most was there was a lady in front of me in line that looked exactly like Boss Hogg...with boobs. Only in Vegas. 

• Like 4

I can't imagine a more awkward coaster to get into. Well...Tempesto was not a blast, however Shockwave? Yikes! Pull down/out this lap bar type thing, then step between that and onto the "seat" while pulling the arm contraption together in front of your chest. Oh, and don't forget the seat belt that goes over your stomach/under your chest to hold the arm contraption together.

One and done. I'm okay with that.