Best/worst night rides?

happyslap

Mandatory suggestion: The Beast. It matters. It might not seem like nighttime would matter, but it does, moreso than any other ride I've ever ridden at night. It feels so much faster than it does during the daytime, and the darkness of the helix swallowing you may give you goosebumps. If you can only ride one at night, make it The Beast.

That being said, I personally think Adventure Express is an under-appreciated night ride, especially when its theatrical lights are functioning and turned on (although the second-to-last tunnel can be really disorienting when the lights aren't on.) It too feels faster and more forceful at night.

Banshee has some nice lighting at night, from its signage to the queue to the station to the ride itself. For me, the ride itself feels pretty consistent between day and night... which isn't a bad thing by any means, as Banshee's a great ride! Certainly something worth experiencing more than once.

I personally don't get it, but there are folks here who love Diamondback at night. Then again, I'm not much of a Diamondback fan during the day, either. I'm certainly not going to discourage you from trying it out--for as many people as there are that like it, there's obviously something there I'm missing. It's all in what you like in coasters! :)

• Like 12

^Diamondback is one of the smoother coasters in the park.  It has a bit of a vibration, but (to me) nothing bad.  It focuses a lot on height, speed and airtime.  It does have some semi-decent positive and lateral g's as well.  

I'd be one of those people who like Diamondback at night.  It looks like a big black void that you're dropping into from the lift hill.  It's also awesome seeing the silhouettes of the hills at night as well for me.  Backlot can be a bit fun at night as the police lights and the fire effects really pop at night.  If you want a trippy experience, ride WindSeeker or Shake, Rattle N' Roll at night.  

As mentioned, Beast, Banshee and Adventure Express are must-ride night rides.  Bat and Vortex are also pretty amazing at night.  Vortex in the front at night, evening or early morning has an amazing breeze.  If you want a bit of craziness at night, Delirium delivers nicely.  

My least favorite is Firehawk.  Its too well lit and the on-ride photo flash is blinding.  Its very awkward for me in that riding position.  

• Like 7

Is The Racer any good? If it is, are the Red and Blue Trains any different?

I really like Racer.  Its the 2nd best air time coaster in the park IMO.  There is no difference between red and blue.  My only thing is they should bring back the chaser lights at night.  

And before you go on asking about other rides, I can probably go on about positive things about each ride. Just ride for yourself, only you know how your tastes in rides are. ;)

• Like 6

Yea..Beast for sure. Racer is pretty much the same day or night. Haven't tried Diamondback at night, but I am sure it is amazing Terp, funny you should say, last time I stayed till closing, I rode FoF about 4 times in a row within the last 10mins of park operating time. Maybe I just got lucky, but it seems most people do not like to ride FoF near closing for obvious night time reasons.

• Like 2

To piggy-back off of much of the other responses above mine, I'll start with saying, The Beast is arguably one of the BEST night rides in the world. With that being said, it's an experience that you'll never forget, and may leave you craving more! Enough said! You'll just have to experience this one for yourself!!

As far as my personal favorites and recommendations at the park for night rides go, I'd probably say that Firehawk, Banshee, WindSeeker, and Adventure Express, are all generally on my list.

Firehawk : Part of what makes Firehawk a unique night ride is the feeling of flying through the air, on your stomach, with limited lighting. One of my best experiences was when most of the queue lights were off, as well as some station lights, making it very disorienting, beyond the usual.

Banshee: The effects, mostly the fog (if it's windy) and the lighting, make this a unique ride in Kings Island's night-ride lineup, along with the occasional chill as you swoop through the valley (second half of the ride) .

WindSeeker: Aside from going up into the Eiffel Tower, WindSeeker gives a tremendous aerial night view of the park from an interesting perspective. The multi-colored, changing, "arm" lights are also pretty net as you ride. 

Adventure Express : TombRaiderFTW pretty much summed it up in his post, though I will say, I try to get a ride on it in the dark about every other visit or so.

• Like 4

The Beast. You can make out the outlines of trees passing by. It seems louder, even though I know it is not. You anticipate when the turns are coming, but you can't time them perfectly. The most interesting part for me is that there is a very small section of the brain thinking to itself, " Is this the way it is supposed to be handling? Has something gone wrong, perhaps?".

WindSeeker has colorful lights and a good view of the park.

• Like 6

I'd say Adventure Express, Banshee, Beast, Vortex and White Water Canyon are all amazing at night. The Bat is pretty cool at night as well. AE is especially amazing when most of the tunnel lights are OFF because the ride feels so much faster. :D Also, I've had some night rides on Firehawk that were pretty good, including a fireworks ride where I got to see the fireworks while going through the loop, which was very unique.

EDIT: I've not done a SRR or WindSeeker night ride, so I can't say anything about those.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

AS has been stated many others, Beast is the top of night ride list for me. Since you are out int he woods it has a very different feel, whereas most other rides it's just a matter of some lighting effects or such that can enhance the experience, but Beast has a very different feel in general from night to day. It is the best night ride of any ride I've been on period (or at least the greatest change in experience).

In addition Adventure Express is a lot cooler at night as well and has some added elements that are pretty cool.

I would agree too with silver2005 about Backlot Stunt Coaster. The effects on the ride really pop at night, and the tunnel is darker with less light creeping in the openings. The police lights and fire blast are really great at night. The fire is awesome lighting everything up for a moment and seems a lot more intense.

Also Banshee has some great night effects, but it is mostly lighting effects around the queue and station. There are some lights along the course of the ride but not a lot and it's a pretty open area, so for me the ride isn't all that different at night, but it has a very enhanced queue experience. And it is a great ride at anytime of the day so can't go wrong with it.

I haven't actually ridden them at night but the lights on WindSeeker and Shake, Rattle, and Roll are really awesome now. Not sure how they change the ride experience though.

To me everything else is not too different from a daytime ride. I'm not sure there's really a bad night ride in the park either, or at least anything that is not as good at night. If you don't like a ride during the day i'm not sure the time of day is going to really effect your overall feelings though.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I finally went on my night trip and only got to ride Firehawk and The Beast. (We only rode Firehawk cause our stuff was in lockers.) Despite only getting to ride those two, I enjoyed them both greatly. I couldn't really tell the difference on Firehawk because, well, it was my first time riding, but it scared me silly! The first turnover and drop was a real surprise, to say the least. But anyway, the main event was The Beast. You guys were right! That was probably the most fun ride we did on that 3-day trip, and I had even went on Banshee for my first time the second day! I really enjoyed the first drop and the huge helix. The cool air you get while speeding through the forest is INCREDIBLE! I would recommend riding it even if it's an hour wait. I'll say it from experience. Tomorrow, I'm hopefully going again and I'll make sure to ride either Banshee or Adventure Express at night hopefully. If I do go, I'll post about it here and may make a Trip Report. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 2

Drop Tower at night gives an impressive view anywhere, especially Banshee. Eiffel Tower is ok, but the bars do limit the view a tad.

Racer honestly is my favorite night ride. Classic midway to your right, enjoyable ride, and just has that classic nostalgia atmosphere with it. 

For thrills Skyflyer at night is superb in terms of thrills though. 

• Like 3