PKI 5-27-04

CoasterKrazy

I pulled into the parking lot with my three friends around 9:30 AM. The weather report was looking very bad for the day, and I was beginning to regret driving the hour that it takes to get to PKI from my town. Plus, two of my friends didn't have season passes, and although they had bought $26 tickets from Blockbuster, that is a lot of money to waste on a closed park. Luckily, the rain held out and it was an awesome day. While the park was semi-crowded, (mostly middle school aged kids who couldn't bring themselves to ride the bigger rides) the lines were almost non-existant. All throughout the day Human Resource workers were stuck as temporary ride-ops, so capacity was down. Here's a breakdown of the rides, in no particular order:

Drop Zone: Seeing that we entered the park at such an early time, I decided to ride Drop Zone when the line would be shortest. (I rode it later on in the day as well, and only two rows of queue were full.) This is the only ride in the park that still gives me that adrenaline rush that made me fall in love with roller coasters. The new seats are nice, and I didn't notice any changes with the restraints, although the ops were being very particular when checking them. May have something to do with the Superman accident, may not. My favorite ride in the park - 10/10

Son of Beast: SOB was listed as a ride that would be closed for the day, but it opened up later on in the afternoon. With the new restraints, re-tracking, and a seat that isn't over a wheel carriage, Son of Beast is one heck of a wooden roller coaster. I'm going to have to try a wheel carriage seat to see it makes any difference. I got to ride with one of the ride-ops, but didn't catch his name. If you're on here, I'm the guy with the two psychotic girls. 9/10

Top Gun: Same old, same old for TG. No work on themeing, and the same bland grey-on-grey color scheme. I did happen to notice several pipes that stick up from the floor of the station where the trains load and unload. Are these where fog used to come up into the station? Best suspended coaster I've been on, but a little on the short side and the dilapidated themeing makes me sick. 7/10

Congo Falls: I haven't ridden this ride in years but it is a great way to cool off, with a minimal wait. 9/10

Adventure Express: Same old same old here as well. No music in the station, and several aspects of the themeing didn't seem to be working either. ( dry.gif Try to guess which ones.) Just like Top Gun, Kings Island has the best Arrow of this kind anywhere. 8/10

Racer: Line jumping city with only forwards open. Almost an entire train of people cut in front of us in about 1 minute. One of my friends suggested some kind of shock collar for guests who cut in line. I like this idea, but I don't know how well it would work for business... A very, very smooth ride, with several pops of airtime depsite trim brakes. 8/10

Vortex: My favorite Arrow looper of all time, and it is even better knowing the history of that plot of land. 10/10

The Beast: A path leading to Beast has been painted with silver paw prints, which is a nice effect. The new signs are also cool, but I still haven't got the chance to see the entire documentary, and I can only imagine what the lighting package is like at night. PKI as usual does a great job with their wooden coasters, although it seemed that the trims were incredibly heavy. Don't know if that is possible or not, can magnetic trims be modified? 8/10

Tomb Raider: The Ride: For some reason, only the middle row on TR:TR was being used, so capacity was terrible. I know TR is a complicated ride, but I wish it would get settled down sooner or later. No new program, and several effects not working. The fog, on the other hand, was on FULL BLAST, and that is how it should be ALL THE TIME. 7/10

Wild Thornberry's River Adventure: Rode this thing twice for some odd reason, but I really like this ride. Anyone have an pictures pre-Nickelodian? 9/10

Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle: I only got a score of 820, so I wasn't too pleased with myslef, however the incredibly short line made up for it. For some reason, the background music only played in a few scenes, so it was eerily quite throughout the ride. I think the ghosts of Phantom want their ride back...7/10

Ate at Mandarin Cuisine, and it was great as usual. Very hot, and okay pricing. A great day at PKI!

I haven't ridden the Flying Eagles in years. I don't quite understand the unique fascination that so many people seem to have with this ride. I suppose I would need to learn how to "snap" before getting a liking of it.

I forgot to mention, but there were also a few spots in the Green Slime Zone where concrete was being torn up and pipes were either being added or removed, I couldn't tell. There was no major (de?)contstruction but enough up-rooted concrete to notice.

If you stand by eagles long enough you'll figure out why people are obsessed with them. Be sure to Check out the ACErs and PKIUrs.

This post was edited.

The PKICers were in there too.

~Dane

The PKIU Mod Police

In assiciation with SpARkS Productions.

If you stand by eagles long enough you'll figure out why people are obsessed with them. Be sure to Check out the ACErs and PKIUrs.

I've always tried to spot a few people from PKIU whenever I go to the park, but considering I know literally no one here, I can only go by names. (And I only know two or three names at most!) I don't really want to introduce myself to a ride-op considering they have work to be done, so that throws any and all opportunities out the window. Hopefully, this will change with BeastBuzz!

Next time I plan on going to the park, I'll post a pre-trip trip report telling what I'm wearing and what friends I'm going to be with so that anyone will be able to spot who I am.

I remember the chat with Jeff Siebert a while back...Everyone on the chat knew each other, and I was the odd one out. I seem to recall being known as "the kid who asked beastfreak a lot of questions about being an employee at PKI but didn't get hired." Ahhh memories... rolleyes.gif

I've always tried to spot a few people from PKIU whenever I go to the park, but considering I know literally no one here, I can only go by names. (And I only know two or three names at most!) I don't really want to introduce myself to a ride-op considering they have work to be done, so that throws any and all opportunities out the window. Hopefully, this will change with BeastBuzz!

Next time I plan on going to the park, I'll post a pre-trip trip report telling what I'm wearing and what friends I'm going to be with so that anyone will be able to spot who I am.

I remember the chat with Jeff Siebert a while back...Everyone on the chat knew each other, and I was the odd one out. I seem to recall being known as "the kid who asked beastfreak a lot of questions about being an employee at PKI but didn't get hired." Ahhh memories... rolleyes.gif

hey I am going to beastbuzz too.