What KI Roller Coaster are okay for the decrepit?

Mdaisyjayne

I am over the age of 50, overweight at 5'4 and 185 lbs, and I have had prior minor back surgery.  I am also not ready to give up riding roller coasters!!!  I will be at Kings Island soon with my grandson...and all he wants to ride are the coasters.  I want so badly to be able to ride with him, but I see that every coaster has a "no bad back" icon next to it. Since it will just be him and I at the park...and three hours away from home...I can't take the chance of getting hurt.  Can anyone tell me which coasters I might be able to ride, and which ones to avoid?  Thank you so much for your help!

• Like 3

I'm not sure.  I think it really depends on the person.  11 years ago, I got a back injury from a really bad car accident I was in.  It was right at the beginning of May and I didn't want to forfeit my whole summer at KI since I had just gotten a pass.  I did, however, take some time off and played it safe.  After while working with my doctor and chiropractor I asked them their expert opinion and advice.  They informed me to take it slow and sort of judge how I felt.  They also advised me to steer clear of certain coasters (Son of Beast was one they mentioned), but felt that some smoother, steel coasters might be ok, as long as they didn't jerk too much.  They told me to try one, but if it felt like it was hurting, then to steer clear of others.  I took their advice and was pretty much ok.  I went in knowing that I was doing this at MY OWN RISK because I was the one who wanted to ride, no one was forcing me.  I was fine.

I still struggle with some minor back pain to this day as a result of my crash over a decade ago.  It's just something I have to live with.  There are things that aggravate it - sitting too long, doing yard work, lifting heavy things repeatedly, working out too long, etc.  However, I must go on with my life and do the things I like to do regardless of the pain.  So I go to KI and ride the rides because it was something I loved doing even before the accident.  For the most part my back is fine and I can ride most everything with no pain.  However, I'm only 34 and in good shape, so your experience might be quite different. 

Just wanted to share my story.  Do what you think is right for yourself and good luck!

• Like 3

I have had two cervical spinal fusion surgeries since 2003 and I do NOT ride any roller coasters.   I value my health  more than any thrill that I might get from going down the hill or around the bend on any roller coaster.  Terpy is correct when he said none of the coasters should be ridden.  Warning signs are posted and I heed them.   

• Like 7

Is it worth the risk of something happening? For me it wouldn't be...regardless of how much I love rides. Keep in mind that if your grandson is tall enough to ride by himself, you can still stand in line together until it is his turn. Then, you can cross over before he sits down and then wait until the ride is over. I do that quite frequently with the spinning rides depending on which kids I have with me. It let's us still spend time together and they love waving and shouting at me as they pass. 

My oldest nephew was diagnosed with epilepsy right before the 12-13 season and was not allowed to ride anything bigger than Woodstock Express. It didn't matter that he had been on them before. As the doctor said, you never know and it wasn't worth the risk. He still had fun going to the park...even if he stared longingly at the coasters. His medicine works and he was given the "take it slow" instructions last season but I wouldn't let him ride Vortex and he had to wait until the very end of the season for Banshee. This year...Vortex is still off the list and I'm making him wait another year of no seizures before visiting Cedar Point. As much as this disappoints him, his health is far more important than any ride. 

• Like 8

Fellow epileptic here. Good to hear that the meds are helping your son. So many people have no idea what living with the disease is like for the individual and those around them.

With the age that he is does he have JME? That is what I was diagnosed with at 15. Just before driving age!

• Like 5

Don't touch anything Arrow, or Vekoma. 

B&M Is your best choice for roller coasters, but even then the G-forces could cause pain. Especially Diamondback. 

Your VERY best choice is any circular spinning flat rides in Coney Mall... Scrambler, Monster, Shake, Rattle & Roll, and WindSeeker. Maybe Viking Fury. 

Don't forget the Eiffel Tower.

• Like 1

To be honest, after riding a bunch of the smaller coasters a few months ago, I would say none of them. Even some of the kiddie coasters had rough turns that made my back and neck hurt. It's really not worth risking it. 

• Like 4

As disappointing as it may be, I'll echo others in saying don't risk it. Those warnings are there for a reason. A lifetime of back problems is not worth a 3 minute coaster ride. So with respect to the other posters who are picking rides that may be ok, I would say disregard their advice and just watch your grandson on the coasters. I'm sure you'll both still enjoy the time that you spent together and you'll be happy that you didn't further injure your back.

Maybe between coasters you could get your grandson to ride a couple gentle rides that you can enjoy together. Hope you enjoy your day at the park!

• Like 3

Ironically Diamondback is probably your best bet.

Or The Bat.

Lastly maybe Back Lot Stun Coaster.

Ironically Diamondback is probably your best best.

Or The Bat.

Lastly maybe Back Lot Stun Coaster.

"I don't always quote myself, but when I do, I say the same thing twice."

• Like 7

Assuming you are planning to ride even though you "probably" shouldn't, I will give you my suggestions. My mom is 51 and has neck problems. Here is a list of things she has ridden successfully without problem and those she doesn't.

Does ride: Banshee, Diamonback, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Adventure Express, The Bat

Does not ride: Flight of Fear, Vortex, Racer, The Beast. She has never been on Firehawk, but in my experience, I don't think it would be suitable at all for anyone with back or neck problems.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Indeed.

Some include August 13.

Failure to seek and heed medical advice can lead to some VERY adverse consequences.

It's your life, your body. We only get one per customer. As for me, I see that no ride is worth the risk when and/or if the foreseeable probable medical consequences could be life changing, perhaps permanently.

• Like 3

Fellow epileptic here. Good to hear that the meds are helping your son. So many people have no idea what living with the disease is like for the individual and those around them.

With the age that he is does he have JME? That is what I was diagnosed with at 15. Just before driving age!

I know a few people with far more serious seizure disorders than he has. I can't imagine how hard it must be. My nephew is very lucky in the grand scheme of things. He has the petit mal or absence seizures. I know that he goes in for tests where they try to trigger the seizures and the results have come back that the medicine is working. Beyond that, I don't have much information as I don't go to the doctor appointments. I'm hoping that the medicine continues to work.

I can't imagine how hard that was for you; right before getting your license and gaining more "independence", here is something that chains you. I hope things are going well for you now!

And mdaisyjayne, I don't mean to derail your post, but to share of example of how we made it work. Please let us know how your visit with your grandson goes. My mom had to stop riding with me because of motion sickness but I have nothing but wonderful memories of visiting the park with her and my grandma. Whatever you decide, I hope you two have a great visit!

• Like 4

Thank you to everyone that has responded to my post!  (And please, feel free to continue to respond)!  We aren't going on our trip until next week, and I am still on the fence as to how I am going to proceed.   My back issue was just a bulging disc that was fixed with out patient surgery, and not a fusion on anything like some of the people on here have experienced.  I still do yard work and can carry some heavy items as long as I don't do it repeatedly.  I just remember what it felt like the day that disc went out...holy cow, that was some serious pain!  :)  I'm thinking at this point that I may just let my grandson ride the coasters, and I will try some of the other rides like WindSeeker and the water rides when he is done.  Then if that goes well, at the end of the day I may try some of the coasters.  I definitely know the woodies are out of the question (and I love The Beast <pouting now>) and Vertigo and Vortex.  And I wouldn't ride Firehawk if I was in perfect condition...I watched my stepson ride it and he said it definitely ruined his day.   And like so many of you said, the most important thing is having fun and making memories with my grandson!  Thanks again for all your responses.

• Like 7

My mom shared a fond memory of my grandma with me while at the park this week. My grandma never rode anything and she would sit in the shaded area outside the park (under the trees where the walkway path is now) and read a book all day long. My mom and friends would go out there to eat a picnic lunch with her and then go back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I can only relate the surgery that I have had.  I had cervical spinal fusion of my 6/C-7/C-8/C back in 2003 and 4/C-5/C-6/C back in 2010 and secured with screws and pins.  I have a total of 5 disks fused and even though the sever pain that I had prior has gone away, I still get an occasional stiff neck.    While I might feel that I can ride a roller coaster that does not have loops or cork screws that jerks you neck all over creation, I chose not to.   If you remember there was a Bengal football player a few years ago that broke his neck and had to have cervical fusion surgery (performed by the same surgeon that did my own) of the same cervical disk that I had (6/C-7/C) and he decided it was best to retire from football rather than risk further injury.  That is why I will not ever ride a roller coaster, not even a more milder one.   I would discuss this issue with your surgeon and get his/her advice.  My advice would be as Terpy had said, your health is not worth the risk and heed the health warnings as not to ride if you have back and or neck issues. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we went to KI yesterday and had an awesome time!  My grandson enjoyed all the coasters, and I stood on the sidelines and watched.  I decided it was not worth the risk to ride and get hurt.  And guess what?  I still had fun!   Thank you all so much for your input.  KI rocks!  

• Like 6