The 7 Amusement Park Wonders of the World

SOB was an amusement park wonder of the world for sure. Not because of the ride, the actual ride was pretty bad, but the sight of it. The tallest wooden coaster hill in the world did a turnaround before dropping! It had the rose bowl, that incredibly loud lift, and that massive loop. Sonny had presence if nothing else.

• Like 6

Sure, The Great Scenic Railway is the oldest continuously operating coaster in the world, but even more impressive to me is the oldest coaster in the world (even if it was shut down for years), Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park, which beats TGSR by 10 years in age.  Even though it's tame compared to most coasters, I'm extremely excited to finally ride this piece of history tomorrow!

• Like 4

^It's now one of mine too!  What a great piece of history.  We rode it twice, the Gatorettes in the front and me in the back each time.  While Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl were amazed at the smoothness, I was amazed at the airtime I got (and the hard slams back into the seat) that they didn't get.  The ride op warned me before our first ride that I might want to prepare and stand up a little before the dips.  After about the 2nd or 3rd dip and the very hard slam back to the seat, I heeded his advice.  Great ride!

Our original plan was to go to both Lakemont & DelGrosso's that day, but once we got to Lakemont we decided that we could definitely spend all day there and take our time to enjoy what they had to offer.  We even stopped by the gift shop and bought matching Leap the Dips shirts and a book on the history of Lakemont Park (to add to our collection of other park history books, on Idora Park & Coney Island).  We'll visit DelGrosso's next year, and plan on going to Lakemont at the end of that day to ride Leap the Dips and Skyliner again!

• Like 5