Witnessed something eerie

Cody

There is a lot of seat shaming going on in line too. I have heard and experienced this from guests complaining about empty seats and long lines. Almost always, I end up with a single rider directly in front of me. I won't jump in with them and I get shamed (from afar) for making the line longer...lol..

My solution for riding alone on a coaster...take the nearest seat to the gate...that way no one can push their way into the empty seat....lol!I ha

I have sat in the seat next to the gate and that doesn't work either....I had some guy last season jump OVER me and sat next to me to ride The Beast. He scared me to death and he kept hitting on my arm while he was " dancing" in his seat and cussing and carrying on and trying to ask me out on a date  the entire ride...just awful.

When it comes to empty seats on coaster trains, I blame people who come in groups of 8 and 10 and they try to get EVERYONE on the same train, so they let a few go so they can be together. Now that's ANNOYING!

• Like 3

When it comes to empty seats on coaster trains, I blame people who come in groups of 8 and 10 and they try to get EVERYONE on the same train, so they let a few go so they can be together. Now that's ANNOYING!

What's so wrong about wanting to keep the group together?  I have no problem with groups doing that.  

• Like 1

What's so wrong about wanting to keep the group together?  I have no problem with groups doing that.  

There is nothing wrong with keeping the group together. However, instead of keeping the seat empty and waiting for the next train to come, they should ask the people behind to go ahead of them so the train is not empty. That's all I'm saying.  :)

• Like 9

When they block access to the seat as they are waiting to join their group in three more trains but won't let you ride the empty? Or they demand you give up your favorite row and ride elsewhere NOW so they can ride together?

when they block access to the seats, leaving it completely empty. But I have expericenced once someone asking me and my sister to move and ride elsewhere. They were very rude about it. We moved and received not thanks or anything.

• Like 3

You guys must run into the darndest of predicaments because I've always been asked nicely if a group can fit in around me (when I'm a single rider) to accommodate their group.  

I do run into the darndest of predicaments....I could write a book about it LOL!!!!  I always ask "WHY ME??"  LOL

• Like 8

The park is in a win situation if they treat guests with respect and understand their concerns about riding alone. The "Really" comment is not something I'd expect from someone who's been properly trained how to handle guest requests. Arguing with a guest will create a much longer line than a single rider will. The true test of your park is if someone comes back, not the size of the line. Guests expect long lines on hot days, weekend days etc. But they also expect to be treated with respect, and not like just another cow in the herd.

If you are specifically looking for something negative, I can see how you would feel this way.

IMO, the "I don't ride with anyone I don't know" comeback & subsequent "really??" was more of a shock reply than argumentative.  I see no disrespect with it at all.  I have personally joked, by playing like a disgruntled guest, around with ride ops just to get a laugh and have sometimes gotten the "really??" reply only to start laughing and let the ride op know is was completely out of humor.

There is a point about pedophiles, but as a parent, if I had a concern about my girls being in danger, I would not put them in a situation where it could happen.

The park is in a win situation if they treat guests with respect and understand their concerns about riding alone. The "Really" comment is not something I'd expect from someone who's been properly trained how to handle guest requests. Arguing with a guest will create a much longer line than a single rider will. The true test of your park is if someone comes back, not the size of the line. Guests expect long lines on hot days, weekend days etc. But they also expect to be treated with respect, and not like just another cow in the herd.

If you are specifically looking for something negative, I can see how you would feel this way.

IMO, the "I don't ride with anyone I don't know" comeback & subsequent "really??" was more of a shock reply than argumentative. I see no disrespect with it at all. I have personally joked, by playing like a disgruntled guest, around with ride ops just to get a laugh and have sometimes gotten the "really??" reply only to start laughing and let the ride op know is was completely out of humor.

There is a point about pedophiles, but as a parent, if I had a concern about my girls being in danger, I would not put them in a situation where it could happen.

How exactly would one avoid this danger at all times? As the mother of two young girls (one can ride everything alone and the other cannot) I am sometimes in this exact predicament with my 8yo having to ride alone. Now granted, I am usually in a seat near her, but sometimes she wants to ride in the first car while we are in the back, with the appearance of her being alone. I would not appreciate her being forced to ride with a grown adult because I find it to be unnecessary as I do not believe that single riders would impact wait times wildly enough to require it. I work in a prison around pedophiles every day, and despite that, I am not generally a paranoid person. However, in situations where it can be easily avoided, why put everyone through the uncomfortable situation? It is sad that this is what it has come to, but I'd say that most grown men would be opposed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

There are also those, particularly but not limited to, single heterosexual or LGBTQ individuals of whatever marital status, who are law enforcement, teachers, ministers, have security clearances, etc.

ONE accusation from a child is all it takes to END a career and cause financial ruin, true or not.

So, yes, REALLY...I and many others are NOT riding with a stranger's child. Period.

And yes, really.

It has come to that.

It hurts my head that so many happily married people do not perceive the risk...not just to the child, but also to the otherwise solo adult rider.

• Like 8

Let's not twist the facts.

I never mentioned avoiding the danger "at all times" nor did any ride op "force" riders to sit together.  The ride op simply asked, which is what should be done.

If I had a concern (key words), I would either have a even amount in our group so the issue would not present itself, or simply not go.

Even us married folk end up as single riders sometimes. My wife hates roller coasters. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that she puts up with my hobby. If I don't have another person come with me then I am a single rider...Hopefully that changes when my mini-me gets a little taller. so far she has taken more after Dad in the rides department and not Mom...I hope that continues :)

• Like 5

If I had to wait for an even number or not go, I might as well not buy passes. I think those are unreasonable options. We don't have any friends with season passes and a lot of people can't shell out $40 bucks a pop to come along.

• Like 4

Isn't there a sign on one of the large coasters that says "Single Riders will be paired"? I can't remember which one. Nonetheless, even with warning, I don't think it's right.

As some others mentioned, I don't so much mind it on rides that you have a decent amount of personal space. But if some stinky person is squeezing in beside me on Backlot Stunt Coaster for instance, no way am I having a good experience with that.

• Like 3

i was on racer a few years ago as a single rider & one of the people working it that day had a single rider and didn't know where to put them so they asked me being a single rider if they could ride with me and i was like "no i want to ride alone" and she rolled her eyes and walked away like excuse me? i payed for a pass, so i should have the right to sit alone if i so choose to. it was a problem for me a few years back at some times, but i havent had any recent problems with being a single rider.

• Like 1

I can just see it shutting down forever just after what WOULD have been my ride.

It has thankfully never been my experience, but I presume that outside of cases where a ride closurer/removal has been announced it is more than likely preferrable to be in line while watching the last train of a ride dispatch than to actually be on said train.  I can only imagine the last train dispatched under such a circumstance provides an experience not intended.

• Like 1

The ride op I referred to did NOT ask. She DIRECTED.

And singles' money is as good as others, last I checked.

I'm only & have been referring to the OP.

Like I mentioned, don't twist things.

Quoting you from this thread: "...nor did any ride op 'force' riders to sit together."

Any means any.

Nothing less.

And one did. At least one.

• Like 2

Forced pairings should not happen, if a person asks to ride alone, their demands should be met. Especially at Cedar Fair parks. This guest request falls in the category of several cornerstones.

However, an attempt to pair single riders who do not object to being paired up should ride together as to load full cycles and decrease wait times for everyone.

• Like 10