Witnessed something eerie

Cody

I had more issues with some ride ops at Woodstock Gliders trying to pair me up with someone to ride with. We have 5 people in a group that are not small people (we like food). The gal says, "you all can go into 1, 2 and 3." One of my friends says, "4 and 5". She informed us we had to be paired up. The thought of any combination of any two of us fitting in one tub is funny. The thought of trying to get out of the tubs might require a crowbar. For the record, we rode in tubs 1 through 5. (Ride op was a send from FoF.)

I know many ride ops in the park and have been pulled up from the line to ride with smaller children if the parent has two children too small to ride alone. They tell the parent I am a friend or family member and ask if that would be ok or they can have one child wait until the next cycle. They introduce me to the parent and i always ask the child if it's okay that I ride with them.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Think about that for a moment, though.

You are a good person. We know that.

But where do some pedophiles hang out? Wouldn't they be seen in the park often if they did there?

Should parks and ride ops take on potential liability by suggesting small kids ride with someone they've merely seen often?

If, heaven forfend, something truly terrible then happens, did they just not unnecessarily enable that?

• Like 4

Honestly, I understand that completely. When my children were little i would always have someone with me if i went to a park. A friend of mine really doesn't love coasters would take the princess to the water park or children's area and i would take her 2 boys and my son to ride rides.

• Like 3

I'm not sure we could ever figure this out such that everyone would be happy.  It really depends on the ride, doesn't it?  If you've ridden the Banshee more than a time or two, chances are you've sat right next to someone you didn't know.  It's just how it is.  I hope nobody EXPECTS to get a row to themselves---or even an open seat between them and another person on that one because I'd say you're asking too much.

On Diamondback, my daughter and I---on the rare opportunity it arises---we'll queue in rows 7 & 8, for instance, each behind a single rider, and hop on with them.  We'd rather do that than sit next to each other and have to wait for another train.  Plus the seats on Diamondback are far enough apart in both rows that I might be inclined to do the eye-roll if someone suggested that they wanted the entire row to themselves.  Prior to reading this thread it was not something I had even thought twice about though.

On other rides that are tighter I understand why people would prefer to ride alone, especially ladies and small children.  Although I would hope they would at least consider doubling up when comfortable enough to do so.

• Like 2

We went in a group of 5 today and I was faced with this dilemma. Right at 10am we were getting on Woodstock Express. As we were trying to work out all being on the same train, another family of 5 told me I could sit with their daughter who was riding alone (she was about 7/8). I said thank you and then asked the girl herself if it was okay. By the time we got up the lift hill, we were best buds. It was a really nice experience of people being friendly to one another. A lot different than a ride op trying to force or strongly direct it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I had more issues with some ride ops at Woodstock Gliders trying to pair me up with someone to ride with. We have 5 people in a group that are not small people (we like food). The gal says, "you all can go into 1, 2 and 3." One of my friends says, "4 and 5". She informed us we had to be paired up. The thought of any combination of any two of us fitting in one tub is funny. The thought of trying to get out of the tubs might require a crowbar. For the record, we rode in tubs 1 through 5. (Ride op was a send from FoF.)

I know many ride ops in the park and have been pulled up from the line to ride with smaller children if the parent has two children too small to ride alone. They tell the parent I am a friend or family member and ask if that would be ok or they can have one child wait until the next cycle. They introduce me to the parent and i always ask the child if it's okay that I ride with them.

Weird, earlier this season the Mrs and I were told 2 adults could "not" ride in 1 tub. 

But, then again this ride seems to be still finding what it is. 

"I'm in Planet Snoopy, but thrill seekers want me to cater to them as well"

I offer a solution.

As rides go this can't be a major investment. Make Woodstock Gliders 36" and under. Then buy another set for Coney Mall with 36" and over, preferably on Flight Commanders pad.  

• Like 6

My dad, who is in his 50's now, can only ride so many rides before taking a break. Me being the lively and energetic teen that I am, I constantly want to be riding them. Most noticeably when I was a single rider was at Cedar Point. My dad could only handle Maverick once before having to chill in Chic-Fil-A while I went again. I would usually be placed with a single rider. I just introduce myself, asking very politely if it would be OK if I rode with them. One incredible lady I met while doing a short marathon on Millie was really awesome, she was a pretty big coaster enthusiast and had ridden Millie opening week and Dragster opening day. Although it CAN be awkward, none of my times being with a stranger were not bad at all. But you know, thats just from a High schooler's POV

• Like 5

This post should be a shout out to current & future park employee's.

While at the park yesterday (7-14-15) I was in line for FoF this was around 11:16am or 12:16pm can't really remember the time. I noticed they were doing seat assigning and thought meh no biggie, that was until I actually got up to the employee that was doing the assigning. I witness the employee and a guest have an exchange of words, this guest was a male about in his mid twenties early thirties and he was a solo rider. The employee was trying to pair him up with another solo rider, the other solo rider was a six to eight year old boy in a group of teenagers (looks like to be a younger sibling who got stuck with his older siblings group of friends). Anyway I overheard the older male say to her "I don't ride with anyone that I don't know" and the female employee gave him a stare and muttered "really?". This shocked me, he actually had to repeat himself and state that he was serious. What kind of training is Cedar Fair providing when an employee is almost forcing a guest to ride with a stranger, let alone what about the little boy? I don't think a six to eight year old would of felt comfortable riding with a male in his twenties or thirties that he having no idea who he is. I was just astonish that the female employee couldn't grasp the situation at hand, it seem like she was more worried about the organization of the train than the guest's experience. Thankfully the older male knew exactly how to handle her in this situation for an optimal outcome.

The staff member or guest should of said you/i go ahead and wait for the next train. When you have a empty seat, the staff are trained to make sure that they try and fill it to keep the line moving. FOF always has a slow line. Same with Firehawk. On slow days, both rides have a 20 to 35 min wait.

Lately I do like to ride alone on The Beast but for a different reason.   Lately it gets a little cramped with two people ( my own fault-love pizza.).  It just seems like a more comfortable ride by myself.  Never even thought about the other reasons for riding alone stated on this thread which I can understand.

• Like 2

I think you mean that the Snoopyland set would require at least one rider to be 36" or under.

Adults could ride ONLY with a child.

Otherwise, you just grounded a lot of little ones from EVER riding with Mom, Dad, Sis, Brother, Uncles, Aunts, etc.

Yes, exactly what I meant. As always, interpreted to be as it was meant to be ;-) 

• Like 2

My solution for riding alone on a coaster...take the nearest seat to the gate...that way no one can push their way into the empty seat....lol!

I usually do that too if I want to ride alone, particularly on AE, BLSC and Racer.  I prefer the right side on Beast so I don't do it on that.

When we rode Tempesto at Busch Gardens Williamsburg a couple of weeks ago, I was lined up for row 2 and the Gatorettes were in line for row 3.  There was a group in front of us that was occupying rows 2, 3 & 4 that was letting people go in front of them because they were trying to ride with their friends in row 1. (Really?  You're trying to pair a same ride cycle with front row, which always has a longer line???  If you're in a group that requires multiple rows, you forgo the front row if you want the same cycle!)  Things were working out perfectly for the Gator family to ride together until the group decided that being on the same cycle didn't really matter.  The Gatorettes were next on, and the single rider teenage girl in front of me took the first seat she came to.  I politely asked her if she could move over so I could ride with my family, which she did and I thanked her.  While the ride ops were checking the rest of the train, I made sure to say "Thanks again for doing that," and she said "That's okay, I really didn't want to ride by myself anyway."

As far as riding with someone else's child, I absolutely will not do it.  I'll ride with them if I'm friends with the parents, but a stranger's kid? No way, no how.  When GatorGirl was little, I even felt self-conscious about taking her to the playground by myself, being an adult male, alone, sitting on a bench watching her play.  If someone had not seen me come there with her, how could my innocently sitting there possibly be misinterpreted? 

• Like 7

I was forced to ride Flight of Fear with a child the other day too, even after expressing my concern to the ride op that I didn't want to ride with someone's child, they pretty much said ride it with the child or don't ride at all. Was tempted to say not ride at all but I had waited almost an hour in line so went ahead and rode it, but definitely was kinda weird riding it with a kid I don't know.

• Like 4

When I went last week, there did seem to be more seat assigning than I remember. Luckily, I only was forced next to someone on Banshee and didn't feel like causing a fuss. I usually like to keep a one seat buffer. I was worried I would be forced to double on Flight of Fear but nothing happened.

Also, I convinced my other half to ride Adventure Express. In her own words, "it wasn't that bad." I'll take it where I can get it.

• Like 5

I never knew that adjacent seat pairing could be such a contentious issue.

Unless it's enthusiast ERT or another non-standard operation, I ask before sitting next to another single rider. I appreciate if other riders do the same, but it's not a big issue for me. Politeness goes a long way.

In my own experience, I can only think of a few instances when a guest responded that they prefer to ride alone.

• Like 2

This thread at least explains why my cousin and I are so wildly popular at Planet Snoopy.

Two little old ladies that hop onto a ride with your kid doesn't seem bad at all considering what I've been reading.

I understand that there's a potential for pedophiliacs being at the park, but sometimes a parent can't ride with a kid, either due to size, or a very small one in a stroller, or an odd number of riders.

I'll ride with a kid. That way I can enjoy the ride as if it were the first I was on it.

• Like 7

Apparently the park needs to post their rules in regard to this issue.  I've heard the complaints, the threats, all the possibilities.  But if you want to take up two seats on every ride you're getting on in the day so that you never have to sit next to someone else you don't know---and slow down the queue as a result...buy two tickets.  The park may get sued one day, and someone may go to jail, but the park will win their lawsuit if the rules are posted and everyone understands what 1 ticket buys you, and acts accordingly.

I will definitely start being more forward about wanting to sit solo after being paired with a few bigger people with no regard for my personal space on my last visit (exceptions- Firehawk, Banshee, Diamondback on the outer seats, maybe Backlot).  

• Like 3

If the park was worried about slowing down the queues they wouldn't have Fast Lane.

And don't get me wrong, I have no issue sitting next to an adult on a ride I don't know (in most circumstances, see exception above from silver2005). In fact I rode Flight of Fear with an older gentleman last year at rope drop who I ended up having a good conversation with and I had no issues with that. I don't even know that sitting next to a minor on a ride such as Racer or Woodstock Express would bother me as those rides are well lit, but Flight of Fear is not and if any accusations were to come it would be my word against their's, and now-a-days most courts will take the accuser's word over the accused.

And any written policy that Kings Island would post for a single rider to be required to ride with another rider would only be protecting themselves but not the accused. I would suggest if they wrote up a policy such as that that they should include in the risks section of their rides that you could also have a lawsuit filed against you and be labeled an offender for life.

• Like 5

Well let's put this on the other foot, would you be happy if you're child was molested while riding a ride? Or do you think that children should purchase two tickets to sit in a row by themselves? Because there is times when a child has to sit by themselves and there is no way around it, well that is unless you have the children rotate with the parent riding, but then that brings back the issue that it's slowing down the queue...

• Like 3

I wouldn't be happy about it, that's what jails are for.  But I'm probably willing to chance it at Kings Island.  I love the people there, and this site for that matter.  A child NEVER has to sit by themselves.  The parent---if that concerned---wouldn't even consider letting them ride!  If I choose to let my child ride alone or with a stranger it is because I am taking on that responsibility---that risk---as the parent of my own child.  No way would I hold the park responsible.  Nor would I expect to get the benefits of two tickets, when I only bought one.  Sporting events, concerts, all kinds of things in this world 1 ticket buys you 1 seat.  You don't get to reserve the seat next to you just because your kid is in it.  Or yourself.

I have 3 kids...ages 15, 9, and 7.  So I've been there, done that.

What is this "buy two tickets" nonsense? How is that even close to the logical answer?

The answer is good customer service.

"Would it be okay with you if this other person rode with you?"

"No thank you."

That should be the end of it. Difficult ride-ops slow down queues way more than single riders do.

Should overweight guests have to be measured before they get in the queue every ride? After all, an overweight guest cost a precious 60 seconds on my Flight of Fear ride last week. I've also seen ride ops take extra time with children and re-measure them before putting them on the train. That takes extra time too.

If the park was so concerned with filling every seat on every train, they'd have single rider lines where it's understood you're there to fill a seat and you don't get to choose in exchange for a much shorter line. A single rider as it is now stood in the same line as everyone else and doesn't get the same comfort as everyone else of choosing who they sit next to. Fair is fair, right?

• Like 10

Don't forget not everyone is rays of sunshine at Kings Island, this did just happen two years ago:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/news-warren-county/prosecutors-man-at-kings-island-may-have-been-there-to-abduct-a-child/20874794

If I as a parent was in the situation where I was forced to have my daughter ride with a stranger and I look at the stranger and think they look suspicious I would ask the ride operator to let my daughter ride alone. If there was a refusal and I was forced to take my daughter out of line which we could hypothetically of been waiting in line for over an hour, does that promote Kings Island's #KIBestDay? I think not

• Like 5

We'll all have to agree to disagree.  It's all good...this thread is a divider...I try to come here to be happy...lol.  Let's be happy!  :-)

Single riders make me go "ugh", but hey---don't glare at me when I hop on with you---I'm totally sane I promise!  bahaha.  ;-)