Witnessed something eerie

Cody

Pairing is nice if it is acceptable by both members, if not, it's not a large deal. However hitting capacity is part of the rides efficiency. Numbers do matter in that regard. Moving as many people as safely as possible is a very important task. An empty seat every now and then does add up over the day, week, and season as a whole. However, if someone wants to sit somewhere in particular and alone, service dictates you allow their request. There's a reason the cornerstones are in place.

• Like 7

Pairing is nice if it is acceptable by both members, if not, it's not a large deal. However hitting capacity is part of the rides efficiency. Numbers do matter in that regard. Moving as many people as safely as possible is a very important task. An empty seat every now and then does add up over the day, week, and season as a whole. However, if someone wants to sit somewhere in particular and alone, service dictates you allow their request. There's a reason the cornerstones are in place.

Thanks for injecting some common sense in the matter.

Up until now, my only problem in riding with a child has been making sure they get the side of the ride where they can wave to their parents unobstructed, and for the last how ever many pages I've been reading all these dire implications.

• Like 1

Unrelated to rides, but related to some concerns brought up earlier in this thread, I found myself in an awkward situation this past weekend.

Mrs. Gator's family reunion is always held at a park (not amusement park, just a city park) in Pennsylvania.  In this park is a community pool, which a large portion of the reunion goes over to to spend some time in.  To get to the pool, you have to walk through the changing room/restroom.  When I walked in, there were two boys there, ages approximately 4 & 5.  The older boy was trying to help his younger brother get his shorts pulled up.  While I was washing my hands after using the facilities, the youngest boy came over with his shorts down around his calves and asks, "Excuse me, can you help me get my shorts up?"  I kind of stammered at first and finally got out "Um... don't you have a parent around?"  The older boy said, "Yeah, but not our dad."  I said, "Sorry, I can't help you," and left. 

I felt bad for leaving them in their predicament, but what else was I to do?  I can only imagine being the parent of those children upon hearing that a stranger helped them pull up their shorts.  The boys were young enough that they probably should/could have gone into the women's locker room with their mother.  I wouldn't have sent my child(ren) alone to a locker room at their ages.  If it was me & and a 4-5 year old GatorGirl, I would have put her in her bathing suit at home, taken her through the men's locker room (covering her eyes if need be) then taken her back home in her bathing suit.

• Like 5

I've seen three or four full train dispatches "wasted" when someone vomits on a ride (not to mention the copious time used cleaning before each time the whole train is sent empty). When are we going to add a vomit tax to those people, for the inconvenience encountered by those that are behind them in line?

LMAO!  Yep, I definately should have been compensated for my distress at watching two  ops pour cups of water on vomit on Vortex last summer while squealing and gagging, and then be told told to hop on in it's clean. 

Really though... everyone needs to lighten up.  My 7 year old daughter only ever goes to KI alone with myself or her grandmother who doesn't ride rides for medical reasons.  Her grandmother doesn't want her to ride alone and asks the ops to pair her with someone and  if she has to wait a little longer for another single rider who is willing, no big deal.  I took her myself on Thursday and was sick so I didn't feel like riding anything and I let her ride Diamondback by herself and I even let her go through the Banshee line by herself while I watched from the fence until she went up the stairs (couldn't go in line because of stupid souvenier bucket I would never have bought on a normal day).  Point being, I am a good mom and I care for the safety of my kid, but there is no reason to overly worry about everything.  The vast majority of people do not have evil intentions and I don't think she is going to be emotionally scarred from having to ride next to a stranger or from riding alone.

• Like 5

Wow - I continue to be, not quite sure of the right word, at some of the comments in this thread.  

Do those that prefer to ride alone never ride a bus, subway, go to a theater, sporting event, etc.  For those afraid of being accused of something, do you not use the restroom at Kings Island?  All these places are more likely for something to happen than on a ride.  Come on, you are on a ride for usually around 2 minutes with a person strapped in.  If they do something, make a scene as the ride enters the station yelling to keep the restraints locked and call for security.  The violator isn't going anywhere - same can't be said if it happens in a restroom, bus, sporting event, etc - the violator is long gone before security could arrive. 

What is ironic - many that are complaining about riding solo and the "risks" associated with it take part in KIC "meet-ups", both at the park and overnight stays elsewhere?!  Personally I would be more concerned about that than someone sitting next to me for a two minute ride.  Many of you spill your life on this forum, making you an easy target for a pedophile to select and "friend" and take advantage of.  

If you are that concerned about riding solo, then don't ride solo and always come with a friend.  If said friend wants to sit a ride, you sit too.  Plain and simple.  There are much bigger risks in the park than riding solo.  An empty seat decreases capacity - on some rides even more so than such seat being occupied by a FastLane user.

I'm dumbfounded at many of the posters here, as well.  Always concocting scenarios of what could go wrong.  My advice to the rest of you is lock yourselves in your homes, and put your kids in a bubble.  Problem solved!

• Like 2

I've rode The Racer, 2 times and Vortex once by myself. Thankful that no creep, tried to get paired up with me! If someone is nice, clean, non rotting teeth,I wouldn't mind being paired up. So when me and my sister rode Afterburn at Carowinds in the front row, there were these two really weird guys in front of us who kept looking at us in inappropriate places. So the next train, we were able to get on came into the station. So these 2 guys did a really weird thing in where they sat. one picked an outside seat, left a space then the other one sat in the seat next to the empty one. Leaving me and my sister not even sitting next to each other.The person who was standing there to check restraints was saying "come on" I said "Uh, I don't like the color of the restraints, I'd rather wait on the next train" (red) So right as I said this, a boy who was about 8 or 9 came running up and got in front of us to ride with the creeps. The guys looked mad. But here's the thing, these 2 guys looked like they were rapist, and robbers. tattos, messed up teeth, kinda fat. That's about the only weird thing that's happened to me on a ride, and hopefully it won't happen again!

• Like 1

I was almost always a single rider as a kid. I went with grandparents who didn't want to ride the same thing over and over and over like I did. I got paired with strangers sometimes, and rode alone other times. Nothing ever happened to me. But things DO happen sometimes.

I have a really low tolerance for long lines, mostly because I don't get to go to parks as often anymore and my knees are awful. However, I don't care if someone wants to ride alone on certain rides even if it makes the line take longer. Beast, Adventure Express, Flight of Fear, Racer, etc. They should have a FUN day and feel comfortable and safe.

I think that's a bit excessive on things like Banshee, Diamondback, Drop Tower, Sheikra, Rougarou, etc. where you really have your own seat and your own space, and it's more than 2 rows across or there's some separation.

Anyway, no complaints here.

• Like 4