Shanghai Disneyland

Yesterday, Disney lifted the veil, giving everyone a first look at what to expect when the park opens next spring.  From the looks of things, it's going to be hugely popular from the get-go.  The park is going to feature some never before seen rides, as well as updates on classic Disney rides we all know and love.  Various sites have details on the press conference Bob Iger held, but the link below shows concept animation of the one of the highlights of the park-a TRON-inspired coaster featuring trains shaped like lightcycles.  The ride traverses under an ever-changing color canopy.  See below and watch this space for future updates!

http://time.com/3958699/shanghai-disneyland-tron-ride/

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to watching some on-ride POV videos of some of these rides.  Since I will more than likely never make it to this particular park, watching videos of the rides will probably be the only way I'll get to see them.  Unless Disney decides to build them here in the US too, which I'm not holding my breath for (ex. Mystic Manor).

• Like 3

This park looks amazing.  We have honestly began as a family doing some very tentative discussion on if a trip to Shanghai Disney in about 10 years or so.

Also the rumors that are starting to circulate now indicate that the Tron Coaster will end up in Tomorrowland as part of a major rehab, similar Star Wars attractions will be going in at the Studios, the Pirates of the Caribbean stunt show, and it is basically confirmed the Soarin over the Horizon will be coming to Epcot.

• Like 1

Something big had better happen to that Tomorrowland. Seriously.

And I, for one, hope it's NOT an all-over Star Wars overlay. Tomorrowland doesn't have to represent a scientific future. But it shouldn't be dedicated to a single intellectual property, either.

Most sources seem to point to Vekoma as the manufacturer of the ride, with the ride taking inspiration from their Motorbike coaster installations.  I've also read that a speeder bike Star Wars themed coaster would come to the Studios in Florida instead of at the MK, since the two are similar.  The rumored locale for the MK coaster (current employee parking behind and up a bit from the park) doesn't mesh with Disney's long term plans to build a northern gate, which would also sit where the coaster would go. 

• Like 1

Looks like it should be a good well rounded park on opening. But agree with Voicetek. POV videos will probably be the closest I get to riding the stuff there. Despite this it is nice to see that the park will be primarily new attractions and not just the same things from all of the other parks thrown together.

Would love to see a whole Pirates themed land at one of the parks here though. Love the attractions and be cool to have a couple based off of them. That's the ride I'm the most curious to see when it opens since it sounds like it will be very different fro the current slate of PotC attractions.

Do wonder as well how well the animatronic on the rapids ride will work. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as the yeti on Everest and just be sitting dormant with sound effects.

Looks like the only big attraction the park is missing from it's line up at opening is a Haunted Mansion type one.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2015 at 8:03 AM, RailRider said:

This park looks amazing.  We have honestly began as a family doing some very tentative discussion on if a trip to Shanghai Disney in about 10 years or so.

Also the rumors that are starting to circulate now indicate that the Tron Coaster will end up in Tomorrowland as part of a major rehab, similar Star Wars attractions will be going in at the Studios, the Pirates of the Caribbean stunt show, and it is basically confirmed the Soarin over the Horizon will be coming to Epcot.

It took 2 years to confirm, but yes, a Tron coaster clone from Shanghai is going into Tomorowland at the MK, next to Space as part of what looks to be a smallish expansion of TL.  Contrary to rumors, based on the site plan unveiled at D23, the ride will not displace the Speedway, which is expected to remain open.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to see EPCOT get some love.  As much as I didn't really agree with the whole "Maelstrom to Frozen" refurb, I don't really mind the announcement of the other IPs coming to the park.  Ratatouille in the France pavilion sounds like a good idea to me, and I don't necessarily mind Guardians of the Galaxy taking over the Universe of Energy.  However, one thing that was missing from the announcement is the fate of Figment and his Journey into Imagination ride.  Though not a fan of this current version, I'd hate to see Figment get removed completely as he's become somewhat of an unofficial mascot for EPCOT and also one of my favorite Disney Park characters.  Although there have been some rumors, nothing was confirmed or denied.  One of the rumors currently floating around is that Journey into Imagination will get completely redone and characters from Inside Out will be added and they, with Figment, will take guests on a journey (through the mind?).  Like I said, nothing was confirmed, but I think this could be an interesting makeover for the Imagination Pavilion and could potentially breathe new life into this 'almost dead' attraction.