Haunt 2015

Bradenwhite

In some weird way, I kinda liked Mysteria--not so much because of the quality, but because of how weird it was. It was a bit like walking through a Lady Gaga music video. It almost felt like the park had a few odds and ends and stuck them together and were like, "Let's go with it." And the actors pretty much embraced it by making the weirdest noises possible.

I kinda miss it. Not strongly, but I do.

• Like 5

Was holiday horror good? I have heard mixed reviews but it looked fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really, really miss Holiday Horror. There were some nights where it was understaffed and several of the holidays were completely empty (President's Day was almost always like that) but when it was full of scareactors, it was great. 

It was more funny than scary, and that's what I loved about it.

• Like 6

They can do whatever they want with the haunts. They're cheap and poor wannabes of real houses in the scaring industry.

I'll go in and enjoy riding rides as normal. Just with a very heavy layer of fog.

Have you ever worked in a haunted house or for a themepark during it's Halloween events?

• Like 1

They can do whatever they want with the haunts. They're cheap and poor wannabes of real houses in the scaring industry.

I'll go in and enjoy riding rides as normal. Just with a very heavy layer of fog.

Have you ever worked in a haunted house or for a themepark during it's Halloween events?

The thing is, amusement park haunts and stand-alone/professional haunts operate completely different from one another and are in different leagues of their own. Not all revenue can be diverted to a park haunt, so they won't have as many (if any) super-detailed scenic elements and high-tech animatronics seen in a standalone that's been featured on the Travel Channel. Also, even in an area like Orlando or Los Angeles, haunts in theme parks still have to operate "normally" during the day so they can't have too many temporary or even excess bloody/gory props that will interfere with daily, non-haunt crowds. Even the crowds themselves are unique; a schoolhouse might rack up 3,500 people on a given Saturday night, while an island haunt can push 35,000.

That said, both variants share one major trait that keeps them in business, which is the need to offer something new every year and respond to customer feedback. Standalones generally go by the rule of thirds, essentially changing up at least one-third of their attraction every season, as rebuilding from the ground up year in and year out is a very costly and time-consuming expense (that hasn't stopped people from trying and succeeding at it). They also listen and respond to feedback from their customers and fans (and just like coaster enthusiasts, haunt enthusiasts are a vocal bunch), keeping things that works, and removing things that don't. If you refuse to update and you ignore the people paying you to be scared, they'll go elsewhere for better entertainment.

• Like 8

^ That sounds as if they may be trying to recreate one of Knott's former attractions, Delirium:

...also known as one of the weirdest attractions they have ever done (but in a good, and very horrific way). It wouldn't be the first time the Island has attempted to "recreate" a Farm haunt (Red Beard's Revenge), but I'm (slightly) hopeful that Blackout will be something truly amazing like Fatale's or Kill Mart.

Or they could simply be resurrecting Mysteria and just turning all the lights off.

• Like 3

Like a middle schooler giving a speech laced with vulgarity for shock effect...

That was early Kings Island Haunt.

Shameful and juvenile it was.

Club Blood was symptomatic of that time...

Also the very short-lived Heckle and Howl "attraction" that had customers being thrown insults by an actor while waiting in line for Trail of Terror. The year prior, it was a direct offshoot of Winterfest's Scrooge Haus and was much more family-friendly. Cedar Fair saw fit to inject more vulgar insults and derogatory remarks towards peoples' sexual orientation and history.

They also saw fit to have a group of monsters dressed as (and told to act like) the cast from A Clockwork Orange. I won't bother to personally describe the infamous film on here, but I will say that Google is, indeed, your friend.

• Like 1

Great book and great film...but not something a family friendly park should/would reference. I would be all for making the haunts more intense and mature and putting an official age restriction on entrance during haunt hours, but I do not see that ever happening as it would cut profits. It would be much more enjoyable without little kids yelling at the actors and screaming at guests to try to act tough though...

• Like 3

^ That sounds as if they may be trying to recreate one of Knott's former attractions, Delirium:

...also known as one of the weirdest attractions they have ever done (but in a good, and very horrific way). It wouldn't be the first time the Island has attempted to "recreate" a Farm haunt (Red Beard's Revenge), but I'm (slightly) hopeful that Blackout will be something truly amazing like Fatale's or Kill Mart.

Or they could simply be resurrecting Mysteria and just turning all the lights off.

Delirium was one of my favorite mazes I ever been through at Knott's. If anyone gets a copy of it I hope its memory doesn't get tarnished -__-

• Like 3