What is a "Dark Ride?"

I have basically three categories of dark rides: Dark coasters, Dark water attractions (something is in the water....), and Dark conveyors. Personally, if you put something in the dark, it's a dark ride.

I actually like this. Dark Rude should be. A broad category with many sub-categories. Same with coasters.

• Like 1

After reading several comments on here, I want to chime in my with couple of pennies:

1. I never considered Tomb Raider: The Ride a dark ride.  I'm not sure what I'd call it, but to me it just doesn't feel like a dark ride.  Being inside a big room with special lighting elements, doesn't seem like a dark ride to me.

2. That brings me to this point...I never considered Alien Encounter (or Stitch's Great Escape for that matter) to be a dark ride.  I would, however, consider it more of a show.  Would you consider the Great American Thrill Show a dark ride? Remember those? You'd stand (or sit) in front of a large screen that would simulate movement? That was a thrill show, not a dark ride.  I'd consider Alien Encounter and SGE to be a "Thrill Show" with special thematic lighting and elements.

3.  I don't consider walk-throughs a dark ride.  The word "ride" is in there for a reason.  If you're not riding something (car, boat, train, etc.) then it's not a dark ride.  Just like I wouldn't consider The Legend of Jack Sparrow at Disney's Hollywood Studios a dark ride.  It's more of a show/walk-through that contains special thematic elements.

4.  I DO, however, think that a dark ride CAN have some element of thrill.  Would you not consider Splash Mountain a dark ride? I would.  However, my mom will not ride that because of the large drop near the end.  That doesn't mean that it's not a dark ride.  Also, there is a good portion of that ride that takes place outdoors as you go in and out of the mountain itself.  That, to me, just adds to the authenticity of the ride.  It makes it feel like an actual water way that flows in and around a mountain.  In my book, Splash Mountain is one of the great dark rides.

Of course, these are just my opinions and are obviously up for interpretation and discussion.  

• Like 3

I'm going to add to my list a few comments above.  I feel like a dark ride should at least be some kind of ride.  It needs to be indoors and for me, it has to move through different rooms or spaces.  Like I said with the Alien Encounter, if you just sit in the same room, it's more like a show, not a ride.

As far as lighting goes, I don't feel it has to be extremely dark.  There are some amazing dark rides at Disney World such as Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh that don't take place in completely darkness.  Some of their scenes are decently lit so that you can see what's going on.  However, they are indoors and they contain just enough light to get the point across.

I agree it needs to actually be a ride. I feel like it's a pretty broad category. That as long as it is some ride that is primarily indoors then it's a dark ride. Tomb Raider to me was a highly themed flat ride and Stitch is a show-type attraction. Splash Mountain I would count as a dark ride even though it has outdoor parts because it is primarily inside the show building.