After 35 years in 'business of fun,' blue ice cream's secret still eludes Kings Island's top exec

Oldiesmann

Will I be banned from this site If I admit to never having blue ice cream?

I doubt that will happen.

What will happen though, is you'll get this feeling in the pit of your stomach, a voice if you will, that will begin to scream as you walk through the park (no it's not Banshee :P ) and it will begin saying "bluuuuuuee ice cream, bluuuuuuee ice cream" ......and suddenly, your body will begin to hover towards the nearest blue ice cream.

That's what will happen.

• Like 5

I have never bought it, nor has it been bought from the park for me. Well, maybe marketing used its budget to cover food services' expenses. Yep, I had two cones of it on Banshee's media day. It was okay but I don't get the fascination.

• Like 3

If I pay for ice cream at the park, it is going to be blueberry. The kids like it too. (I train them well!)

I think the blueberry ice cream is mostly a nostalgia item for many folks. They had it as children, and now get it for the children in their lives. It's this unique experience associated with fun times at Kings Island. I love it!

• Like 4

I think part of the intrigue is that you can't get it just anywhere. Places that have soft serve usually only carry vanilla, occasionally chocolate as well. I've heard a few stores have blueberry but nowhere close to me.

Heck, I'm still nostalgic for when McDonald's had a vanilla-soft-serve/orange-sherbet swirl and that was 25 years ago. But I can't get it anywhere, so it stands out.

• Like 4

I tried the blue ice cream once and I personally wasn't all that impressed.  I don't normally care for blueberries, so this may be why I didn't like it so well.  If I have to get my ice cream on...I'd go for Graeter's instead.  ;)

• Like 1

I personally growing up never thought anything major about the blue ice cream, the ice cream I always associated with Kings Island was Dippin' Dots. I tried it for the first time a few years ago and wasn't impressed either, if I get soft serve ice cream I usually prefer the chocolate or vanilla variety.

• Like 1