How Many Years Does Vortex Have Left

CoasterOhio

• 5 weeks later...

One such as myself hopes that Vortex gets some love in the very near future...along with new restraints. 

It is not rideable in it's current configuration.

I love Vortex but it boxes my ears the whole ride.  I wish they would put Banshee or Firehawk restraints on it.  They you would not get me off of it!

• Like 2

I'd probably give Vortex around 6 years, unless it gets some renovations soon, like new restraints and possibly new trains. Maybe a theme change also, but I don't personally think that's necessary. (Does it even have a theme outside of the logo [Which is only vaguely themed in its own right]?)

The only way they would put a significant amount of money into it is if they could alter the current ride experience... give it the Mantis treatment.

Vortex is one of those attractions in could see them tethering along for a while. A modified restraint system that didn't jar your head would bump up ridership as well.

• Like 3

I'll take a Mack Mouse for $500, Alex.

And before anyone tries the capacity argument:

Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Great Adventure. All large parks that are ostensibly comparable in size, attendance, and number of rides to KI. All manage a Mack Mouse just fine.

• Like 3

I'll take a Mack Mouse for $500, Alex.

And before anyone tries the capacity argument:

Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Great Adventure. All large parks that are ostensibly comparable in size, attendance, and number of rides to KI. All manage a Mack Mouse just fine.

Also see Backlot Stunt Coaster.
  • Like 1

I don't think we will see Vortex be removed for decades to come.

That is a strong statement. Large steel coasters have not been around for nearly as long as wood coasters, so there potential lifespan is really unknown. However, they simply do not last forever as they can't simply be retracked. Also, I would note that steel coasters are more prone to be considered "obsolete."

• Like 2

That's provided the obsolescence is based on lack of unique experience and overall character. To paraphrase Donus Maximus, coaster riders vote with their feet (I've heard 'seats,' but I understand the inherent PR sensitivity), so if Vortex is the people eater I've heard it is, here almost 30 years after it took its firm, metallic grip on Kings Island, then it's hard to imagine it going away soon.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 7/26/2015 at 1:56 PM, CoasterOhio said:

Figured I would make a discussion about how long Vortex really stands. 

Someone talked about Vortex not having much time left, Arrow is a dying breed of coasters. So I thought I'd make a discussion, and poll about it.

Yeah, obviously Vortex is still a popular ride, but as maintenance for the ride becomes more scarce, how long would it be before the ride has to close because of maintenance costs, and or not enough parts? We had the chain issue a few years ago, and it took a while before they could finally get it replaced. 

But what if we have a more serious issue, like wheel fracture, or frame fracture of the ride? Or just need a replacement wheel axle that is no longer available, or brake. It's hard to know what exactly can happen to the ride, but something will happen soon. 

I think that it has 4 years, 3 months, 1 day left ;)

• Like 1