What could kiddy land be next?

RainStruck

Like others, I don't see Planet Snoopy going anywhere, but to answer the question that was asked... I would say I would most want to see a Nintendo theme'd area, especially with how relevant video games are with kids now-a-days it would make most sense, but of course would be a licensing nightmare I'm sure. As for what would be most likely, I have no clue, whoever the highest bidder is?

• Like 3

Like others, I don't see Planet Snoopy going anywhere, but to answer the question that was asked... I would say I would most want to see a Nintendo theme'd area, especially with how relevant video games are with kids now-a-days it would make most sense, but of course would be a licensing nightmare I'm sure. As for what would be most likely, I have no clue, whoever the highest bidder is?

I'm pretty sure Universal just got the rights to Nintendo actually. The whole rumor is a new Nintendo theme island at Islands of Adventure will be made in the coming years.

• Like 10

This is SO far out in left field and would NEVER under any circumstances be a reality, but....if I had my choice of a new Kiddy Land, I'd make one based off the Ratchet and Clank series on Playstation. 

It could be an awesome themed land.  First, there are some very interesting characters:

medium_365563_2545907250.jpg

They're bright, colorful, and interesting to look at.  This is just part of the main cast.  However, there lots of various robots and aliens in the game as well that could make some pretty sweet animatronic displays:

463169-rusty_pete.jpg

Also, the scenery in the game is fantastic!  From space ports, alien cities, and deserted planets, there would be an endless supply of ideas to pull from when designing the theming of the land itself.

27fe8c620bd0.jpg

131709-244745-PanoramicMetropolisjpg-620

Can you imagine a dark ride based on this game?  And there would be a lot of ideas for other rides based on other characters or side characters.  Like a ride based on Captain Qwark would be pretty neat.  Imagine what you could do with that!

x_c479bac1.jpg

There is just an endless pool of content to pull from within this game series.  I think it would make for an interesting, fun, and unique land within any them park!  I know this game series isn't as well known as other franchises, especially Sonic or Mario, but it would definitely be a themed area unlike anything anyone else would have!

Oh how I can dream! :D

• Like 8

To younger patrons, the Peanuts are property of CF. When they see detergent and insurance commercials, they think CF. They want to actually see a kid walking around the park in a dust cloud. In some cases, they want to BE that kid.

They go to the park, see the characters, and when Halloween comes around, think that the theme park splurged to make a cartoon about the Great Pumpkin.

I've seen this happen. 

When I'd first heard of the Peanuts being the theme of the kid's section of the park, I thought it would be boring and bland, but my opinion doesn't matter. The reaction of the kids matter, and I've seen they like the Peanuts characters.

The way they dress the characters in different themed costumes and the way the characters behave in a way that kids can relate makes it work.

This has been the most attractive I've seen that area of the park in a long time.

• Like 7

I think Peanuts is a great theme for the land as well since they are fairly timeless. The issue with all the prior incarnations was after so long they all become dated and forgotten. Peanuts is something that everyone knows and is familiar with in all generations, and are still around in advertisements and holiday specials throughout the year on tv and magazines to keep them in the public's eye.

However, overall I don't think it make a huge difference for a place like Kings Island. The theming is pretty limited. It's mostly a few statues placed, the occasional character for photos, and names of the rides. It's not as if the rides themselves are themed out or animatronics on them and such. Aside from some ride changes is there really that much of a difference between Nickelodeon Universe and Planet Snoopy? Even to Hanna Barbara Land it's not that different, just some more drastic changes with rides between then and now.

• Like 4

I've gone thru this many times, I'd be surprised if there were many parents who didn't know who the Peanuts were.  Sure there are many who may not know the name of Schroeder off the top of their head, but they know who Snoopy is, who Charlie Brown is, and they've mostly seen the cartoons at Christmas, Halloween, etc...  For parents and grandparents, the Peanuts are far more recognizable than many modern day cartoons.  For the kids, I don't think it matters much, a ride is a ride and its either fun or not fun, and the name of the ride probably doesn't mean much, however for a parent, or a grandparent, the ones controlling the wallet, you are far more likely to get them to spring money on a shirt, stuffed animal or other memoriabilia that shows a character that they are familar with, something they can relate to their children; frankly that is the only reason to pay a liscensing fee, otherwise just give them generic names and attandence is going to be the same either way.

We first got our season passes when my son (now 7) was 2.  He's never really seen much of the Peanuts, certianly not then, but not a ton today.  He's seen the seasonal specials, and been at KI enough to recognize them, but until he started familarizing himself with them, I had no idea how often you woudl spot characters around town.  From blimps, insurance commercials, painted on the outside of a car wash, etc... every time my son spotted a Peanuts character, he'd instantly shout out Kings Island.  It didn't matter that he didn't know much of the cartoon, he was relating the image to KI.  It helped draw a connection and love of KI to images he'd see with semi-regularity in his every day life.  There are not many other franchises that would offer a similar amount of recognition; and of those that would be on that level (or greater like Disney), the liscencing fees are not an option for Cedar Fair.  The Peanuts are timeless, they've been ingrained into culture for 70 years, the movie this fall should help revive that a bit, but either way they are going to remain ingrained.  Its a brand you can trust, a brand with lasting value, a brand that you can trust to have as a means of entertainment for any of your kids.  The Peanuts are a great fit for KI and Cedar Fair.

• Like 4

I think Peanuts is a great theme for the land as well since they are fairly timeless. The issue with all the prior incarnations was after so long they all become dated and forgotten. Peanuts is something that everyone knows and is familiar with in all generations, and are still around in advertisements and holiday specials throughout the year on tv and magazines to keep them in the public's eye.

However, overall I don't think it make a huge difference for a place like Kings Island. The theming is pretty limited. It's mostly a few statues placed, the occasional character for photos, and names of the rides. It's not as if the rides themselves are themed out or animatronics on them and such. Aside from some ride changes is there really that much of a difference between Nickelodeon Universe and Planet Snoopy? Even to Hanna Barbara Land it's not that different, just some more drastic changes with rides between then and now.

I think the color scheme and theming for Planet Snoopy are great. I love the Red Baron planes, and the way the log flume has been re themed into "Race for Your Life". I agree with you that sometimes all that is done is a paint job and mew fiberglass characters on rides, but for me, Nickelodean was too 'gloppy' looking with its crooked lines and colors.

Of course I'm going to always love HB Land, that was my park as a kid, but Planet Snoopy seems so bright, and for some reason, more spacious to me than before. I think CF did a really great job with the Peanuts theming.

• Like 3

This is SO far out in left field and would NEVER under any circumstances be a reality, but....if I had my choice of a new Kiddy Land, I'd make one based off the Ratchet and Clank series on Playstation.

It could be an awesome themed land. First, there are some very interesting characters:

medium_365563_2545907250.jpg

They're bright, colorful, and interesting to look at. This is just part of the main cast. However, there lots of various robots and aliens in the game as well that could make some pretty sweet animatronic displays:

463169-rusty_pete.jpg

Also, the scenery in the game is fantastic! From space ports, alien cities, and deserted planets, there would be an endless supply of ideas to pull from when designing the theming of the land itself.

27fe8c620bd0.jpg

131709-244745-PanoramicMetropolisjpg-620

Can you imagine a dark ride based on this game? And there would be a lot of ideas for other rides based on other characters or side characters. Like a ride based on Captain Qwark would be pretty neat. Imagine what you could do with that!

x_c479bac1.jpg

There is just an endless pool of content to pull from within this game series. I think it would make for an interesting, fun, and unique land within any them park! I know this game series isn't as well known as other franchises, especially Sonic or Mario, but it would definitely be a themed area unlike anything anyone else would have!

Oh how I can dream! :D

It's an interesting idea, but isn't Ratchet and Clank a bit...niche. Peanuts, Looney Tunes et al have a kind of broad-based brand but that's not the case with R&C.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Magenta is right. If you are looking at a company wide profile you need something that has longevity or it becomes a poor investment.

Nickelodeon was a hit overall but remember it had a few flops mainly because of shows that got booted from the air. The Danny Phantom Flyers for example, the show lasted only 3 seasons. Wild Thornberries had 5 seasons but that ride had great theming. SpongeBob has been on air for almost 16 years....

Modern shows makes it hard to create something great and lasting.

Some classic shows (Peanuts, Scooby, Looney Tunes) are easier to theme around because at least they are available to the general public in easier forms. (Peanuts may not have a show but they had weekly comics and the Christmas/Halloween specials run each year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

• 2 months later...