Kings Island Coaster Campout

jcgoble3

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/things-to-do/events-and-promotions/Coaster-Campout-7-28-15-45

Thursday, August 13, to Friday, August 14. Includes ERT on Diamondback, Woodstock Gliders, and Snoopy's Space Buggies Thursday night, plus access to Gold Pass ERT Friday morning. $200 per campsite, which goes to charity, with 500 10×10-foot campsites available (in the picnic grove). NO SHOWERS AVAILABLE. Deadline to purchase is August 11.

Anybody on KIC planning to go?

• Like 4

No showers? No thanks. Isn't this right next to Soak City? Why can't they open those up? 

August heat + no showers = people may not want to be in line with me. 

Sounds like fun but I wont be able to attend due to work.

Also why are people not allowed coolers? I understand they don't want people bringing in food or alcohol but what about people with specific dietary needs? I have family members with diabetes and they need to eat a specific type of food to keep their blood sugar levels in check. That would exclude them from the event. 

• Like 6

Special dietary restrictions very often do deviations from the rules justify.  Anyone concerned about his or her medical condition would do well to notify the park and implore them to respect his or her unique needs.

Coolers generally aren't allowed in the park period.  Surely they don't turn diabetics away at the gate..

As for showers, really?  Can't they walk everyone over to Soak City?  Or, as Cedar Point did last year for its inaugural Coaster Campout, bring in shower trailers (semi trailers outfitted with shower stalls, running water, light, drains, etc.)?

• Like 8

If you're really desperate for a shower, I assume you could go into the waterpark at 11:00 and shower.

Also, KI already allows food to be brought in on any day when necessary to fulfill specific dietary needs. See https://www.visitkingsisland.com/plan-a-visit/frequently-asked-questions: "Exceptions are made for Guests with special dietary needs to include food allergies and baby food and formula.  Guests with special dietary needs should stop at Guest Services located at the Front Gate when they arrive at the Park."

• Like 3

As a passholder free next day admission is meaningless to me and camping in the picnic area with no showers or coolers doesnt sound very appealing.

But since this event is to raise money for cancer research I hope it is a success

• Like 5

As a pair of Platinum Passholders with All-Season Dining Plans, my usual travel companion and I would find a much greater marginal benefit in booking a <= $100/night hotel room.  A group of four comfortable enough to share a <= 10'x10' tent would fit in that same room, but have an actual mattress and shower.  Unfortunately, they won't let you make a smaller donation to attend the festivities but retreat to a nearby hotel.  Cedar Point allowed non-campers to partake only last year when there was no donation requirement.

For a fundraiser event, it's great.  I do suspect that the rate is set particularly high in order to encourage only a more upstanding group of individuals to attend.  As such, it's not like it's a bad deal for $50/person if you can get four.  A one-day ticket retails for $61.99 and you're getting that plus ERT, some food, and any other perks they throw in.

• Like 4

To me it is a little weird to still call it a "Coaster Campout" with this implementation. From Picnic Grove, you can barely even see any coasters (camping out in the grassy field by Diamondback would be way cooler). One coaster available during evening ride time, two in the morning.

I'm not really sure who this is supposed to appeal to. Not coaster enthusiasts, who are likely to already have passes. Not families, who are likely to balk at not being able to bring in food.

• Like 10

For those who want the experience and don't need the luxuries of home for one night, this is a good thing.

It shouldn't cost as much as it does considering the lack of showers, but maybe this is a trial-run to see how things would go. They can learn a lot from public reception and how this year's event goes and tweak things next time around.

• Like 4

If you can make it out to California's Great America, it's only $50 per site there...

Their site says $50 per person; the same price as the other parks if occupied 4/campsite. Of course, a primary purpose is to hold a benefit for the parks' partner charities.

With 1 hour of ERT on "our" flying scooters and 1.5 hours of evening ERT on Fury, the Carowinds campout might be tempting if I hadn't just visited.

• Like 6

If someone were providing a tent & driving, I might consider it for the scooter ERT. ;)

I attended Coaster Campout last year at Cedar Point as a non-camper. Since attendance is very limited, ERT is better than at many enthusiast events - Maverick was sending nearly empty trains. For those who are able to get a campsite together for one of the parks, I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 7

I am SOOO tempted to do this.  Cancer charity?  I work as an RN at a cancer center.  Weekday event?  Exactly what I need since I work weekends only!  "Camping?" I'm an Eagle Scout!

Cons:  Really don't know anyone to split a tent with (I snore).  No showers, I guess I could either bring alternate ways of cleansing and shower in Soak City on Friday.  Food-being a T1D, I would have to make some arrangement about keeping some rations in case of low blood sugar. 

I am actually going to think about this.

• Like 8

Well, I'm somewhat glad that they're finally doing this.....BUT

It seems to have been put together very quickly and rushed out to most of the Cedar Fair parks relatively quickly this season, and after looking at most of the schedules, it seems even more "thrown together".

The notice is a bit short for me though, but if they had given about a month in advance or more, I probably would've been more likely to attend.

Maybe next year.

I can say one thing though.......I'll be at COASTERSTOCK 2016 ! :P

• Like 6

Well, I'm somewhat glad that they're finally doing this.....BUT

It seems to have been put together very quickly and rushed out to most of the Cedar Fair parks relatively quickly this season, and after looking at most of the schedules, it seems even more "thrown together".

The notice is a bit short for me though, but if they had given about a month in advance or more, I probably would've been more likely to attend.

Maybe next year.

I can say one thing though.......I'll be at COASTERSTOCK 2016

Sounds like the discussion of Storm Chaser on the KK thread...;)

Personally, I like Dorney's campout.  It includes an evening meal and Dinosaurs after Dark.  Although, it is tough to compete with Fury 325.  The worst are Knott's and Worlds of Fun, which have no evening ERT.  In the case of Worlds of Fun, no morning ERT either!  I sincerely hope they are going to update the itinerary...

I guess this proves corporate was serious about rolling this out to all other parks this year (except Kings Dominion apparently).

• Like 5

What is camping without a cooler and snacks?

My friends and I used to do some hard-core camping trips back when we were younger.  We'd drive to a state park, park the car, grab our stuff and hike into the woods for about an hour until we found a nice spot to pitch a tent. 

Not having a shower...eh, not a huge deal to me.  I've been in worse situations.  However, a good majority of the fun of camping is sitting by a fire, roasting marshmallows or just eating some snacks and having a cooler with cold drinks (no alcohol for me thanks).

The idea of this sounds fun, but unfortunately the cost is way too high and would restrict some of what I find fun about camping.  Also, the timing is horrible.  I work Mon-Fri, so camping out on a Thursday night will never happen for me.  So yeah, looks like I'm passing on this one.

• Like 5