Kings Island Coaster Campout

jcgoble3

Personally, I like Dorney's campout.  It includes an evening meal and Dinosaurs after Dark.  Although, it is tough to compete with Fury 325.  The worst are Knott's and Worlds of Fun, which have no evening ERT.  In the case of Worlds of Fun, no morning ERT either!  I sincerely hope they are going to update the itinerary...

I guess this proves corporate was serious about rolling this out to all other parks this year (except Kings Dominion apparently).

Ask and you shall receive.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/events/things-to-do/special-events/Coaster-Campout-7-28-15-24

Camping at KD? Sounds better than adjacent lodging.

• Like 1

Personally, I like Dorney's campout.  It includes an evening meal and Dinosaurs after Dark.  Although, it is tough to compete with Fury 325.  The worst are Knott's and Worlds of Fun, which have no evening ERT.  In the case of Worlds of Fun, no morning ERT either!  I sincerely hope they are going to update the itinerary...

I guess this proves corporate was serious about rolling this out to all other parks this year (except Kings Dominion apparently).

Actually....Dinosaurs Alive would have been the perfect place for the campout...with a bus ride around the perimeter to the showers in Soak City...LOL

• Like 4

Camping out in the picnic groves with no showers ranks slightly higher than one night at Motel Six in my book.

I've stayed at Motel 6 locations that offered more than adequate comfort and accommodations at a great price.

Granted, I've been at some pretty sketchy ones too. In general, when lodging on the cheap, read those reviews, especially the bad ones. Sometimes you get a great value. Then again, sometimes you don't.

• Like 1

Really your complaining about showers while camping? How about you take a shower before you get there. Are you going to get that dirty in a few hours before bed? An earlier poster commented he is an Eagle Scout but doesn't like not being able to shower. Really?!? Did you always shower while camping with BSA.

I do agree it seems expensive and think tents out by Beast would be cool.

• Like 5

^ I'm assuming that the grassy area near Cadillac Cars refers to the former (bulldozed & seeded) site of Turnpike Cars? It seems odd that they'd do another, after doing a Coaster Campout in May. (Granted, the first event was on a weeknight.)

I do wish that the parks would specify the charit(ies) that the $200 benefits rather than "Cedar Fair Charities, Inc". I'm sure that the parks have chosen worthy causes as partners, but I would want to know who I am giving to before making a donation.

• Like 4

They do have good causes lined up as best I can tell, so I'm really not sure why they aren't saying what they are.  It would surely be more compelling to donate when you know what you're donating to.   :P

As for Cedar Point's second (biannual*?) Coaster Campout, Tony Clark said in his blog post announcement that the campsite fee is going directly to Big Brothers Big Sisters Foundation of Erie County.

That blog post shows that campers will indeed be in the corner where Turnpike Cars used to sit.  The way Tony refers to it as a "(mysterious, for now) field" and the timing of mid-August (which is around the time we expect an announcement), one wonders if there will be a tie-in there.

* Biannual and semiannual somehow both mean the same opposite things: twice a year and once every other year.  In this case, context clues indicate I'm referring to the former option.

• Like 2

It's a campout.  Who really sleeps when camping?   ;)

But really, last year's Coaster Campout at Cedar Point did indeed feature a late-night wake-up.  It kinda backfired, though, because it was a Halloweekends teaser that ended up scaring some little children.   :(

• Like 5

It's a campout. Who really sleeps when camping? ;)

But really, last year's Coaster Campout at Cedar Point did indeed feature a late-night wake-up. It kinda backfired, though, because it was a Halloweekends teaser that ended up scaring some little children. :(

I agree. I remember seeing the Twitter posts from last year. Thinking yes my daughter would have enjoyed it but my son wants nothing to do with scare actors. The fact they are having auditions soon makes me ponder if KI will do something similar.
  • Like 1

Camping out in the picnic groves with no showers ranks slightly higher than one night at Motel Six in my book.

When I stay in a motel, all I need is a clean place to sleep & shower at a reasonapble price (under $100, preferably under $90).  I read the online reviews and make my decisions based on those.

I have to say, the Motel 6 in Altoona, PA this past weekend was wonderful!  Sure, it's no Hilton (which I never stay at anyway because they're overpriced IMO), but it met my qualifications (clean rooms & bathrooms, and about $68 per night).  Beds were comfortable enough and the Gatorettes even enjoyed the pool there, saying it was cleaner than more expensive places we've stayed. 

• Like 3

I talked to a park person today about this.  I told him what a lot of you are saying: that there's not much appeal.  

- You're not camping IN Kings Island, you're camping in the Grove.  Not the same thing in my book.

- The event offers NOTHING in terms special features.  It has a night ERT, but so what?  The morning ERT is the same thing as every morning there. 

- The breakfast has exactly zero appeal to anyone who ate the food at Coasterstock

- Lights out at 11:00?  Okay, mom.

- No showers?

- Are you really "camping" when you sleep in a tent?  No fires, no marshmallows, etc.  It's almost like you're paying $200 to sleep in a tent and be uncomfortable that night.

- You can't even make the argument that it's "for charity" since it's for "Cedar Fair partner charities."  What does this even mean?  I've done more than my fair share of activities at Kings Island in the name of charity, but at least I knew where the money was going. This doesn't hit home for me in the least.

I guess that since I honestly think there won't be anyone there that it might be kind of spooky to be alone in the Picnic Grove at night.  Maybe you could see the ghost of Missouri Jane!  It would be a good Haunt preparation...?

In all seriousness, it's a noble idea with horrible execution.  Maybe next year.

• Like 8

I don't think actually being in the park adds much either, once stuff is closed what does it matter? The biggest problem with camping in the park is water access. I don't know if being in the picnic area helps with that or not. I camped there once as part of a BSA function and they had us by Adventure Express/Racer/Flight of Fear and it pretty much added up the same way you're saying, no usual camping activities and not very comfortable. 

• Like 2

I blame Italian Job...well kinda.  Car rides seem to be a good fit for these campout events due to the amount of grass available in the ride area.  They also don't have any dangerous "low zones" or electrical systems (typically).  The only problem is the limited amount of total space.  

Putting everyone in the picnic area is also easier for security reasons.  They can essentially lock them in so that they can't wander off into areas they should not be.

• Like 2

Really your complaining about showers while camping? How about you take a shower before you get there. Are you going to get that dirty in a few hours before bed? An earlier poster commented he is an Eagle Scout but doesn't like not being able to shower. Really?!? Did you always shower while camping with BSA.

I do agree it seems expensive and think tents out by Beast would be cool.

When I was a teenager, showering was not important, especially because it was a bunch of my peers, so no one cared what the smell was.  However, at summer camp, were required to shower at least every other day.   Weekend campouts, not so much.

As an adult, it is bad enough to smell body odor in the que lines.  I don't want to contribute to that.

I agree with  most  posted opinions...great idea, terrible execution. 

• Like 3