6/18/04... the day Tomb Raider broke down.

Beastly Terror Rider

The dumbest thing happened on TR yesterday. Kloeker, his brother, and me got on and waited a half hour to get on. When we get sorted (you know into the three lines) it broke down because of the emergency switch failed to operate. Then we waited for another half hour and finally the door opened and sat down. We pulled down the restraints and a voice came over the intercom saying, "Attention tomb raiders, we are experiencing some mechanical difficulties. Please exit the ride." so we got up and went back into the queue line for an hours wait and finally got on again. The ride started up and went through all the programmed parts untill the final flip. That's when the lights came on and we started swinging back and forth. It broke down again! I clocked the entire ride time and it came out at 15 minutes. Then when we stopped swinging the ushered us out of the ride saying "Sorry but have a wonderful day at King's Island." And guess what, we didn't get anything free like a food pass or something. I heard that if you get stuck on a broken down ride that they give you an exit pass or a food pass.

Any of you guys had an experience like that?

I feel you man. the same exact thing happened to me last year. the ride was fine until the last part when it hangs you upside down and then it swung back and forth for a long time. i don't even waste my time riding tomb raider anymore. to me it was a waste of money. wayyyyyy too many problems.

Yeah, Tomb Raider's an in incredible ride when it's working with all the effects, and even without all the effect it's still very good. And I agree with you Tanner, PKI's collection of flatrides is awesome and very diverse. I hope in the next few years we see another dark ride and another Huss Giant, in addition to a coaster of course.

Sorry, gotta disagree. For the money spent on Tomb Raider, the program should be a hell of a lot longer. I can't even agree that it is the best flat ride out there, especially with Delirium in the same park. Tomb Raider is not much more than a nice collection of movie props.

Sorry, gotta disagree. For the money spent on Tomb Raider, the program should be a hell of a lot longer.

It's called capacity. They want to get as many people on and off as they can. They did spend money for ride that can be short, long or whatever they want it to be. It's the magic of programming.

It's only 20 minutes, you shouldn't receive anything.

The problem was I could not get off the ride. I was in the middle brake run with the lights on in Flight of Fear. I was at the point and got stuck on Gemini and they gave me a free pass to the front of Millennium Force.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to point something out about the ride time:

If the program gets lengthened, you would complain about the wait even more. If we kept it where it is, close to three minutes, then we get its too short. Are you guys ever happy?

I blame everything on Kloeker and his cursed little brother for making me wait in line. I was getting so hungry. But a funny experience. wink.gif. I have no respect what so ever to TR. I say tear it down, make some money, and build another generation to The Beast family. What a stupid ride! And they call it a movie/thrill ride. dry.gif .

On another note, I take back everything I said about Drop Zone. It is a great thrill ride especially during the fireworks (only if you keep your eyes open).

Dang, that same thing happened when Nathan and I went on it. It was supposed to do two flips at the end, but it ended up rocking back and forth, then we had to get off. How often does that ride need to get fixed anyway?!

Apparently, as much as Top Thrill Dragster. rolleyes.gif

Tanner, you're wrong on this one. TTD has been running pretty well this year. Yes things do happen to rides that are 420 ft high and go 120 mph. What's TR's excuse? I rode TR after I got off of work today, and it was already broke down earlier this morning, then right when we were watching the movie about to get on, all the lights went out and they said it broke down. That thing breaks down SO much, that's at least the 6th time I've been waiting in line for the ride and it's broke down. I barely ever ride that ride any more, and I'm starting to see it's not worth the wait.

TTD is down just as much. It's up for an hour, then goes down just as Tomb Raider does. I've never waited for TRTR when it's broken down, just been on it when it's broke down, same with TTD.

You're around TRTR more so you notice more, if you were at CP more you would notice that more I'm sure.

The problem was I could not get off the ride. I was in the middle brake run with the lights on in Flight of Fear. I was at the point and got stuck on Gemini and they gave me a free pass to the front of Millennium Force.

I was stuck on Tomb Raider for longer than 20 minutes and received nothing, I could not get off either.

At Cedar Point I was on Dragster, waiting to go. Sat there for 5 minutes they made us get off. We were in front of the line so we weren't leaving. We waited an hour with the option to leave at any time. They encouraged and told us to leave. We waited with maybe 100 other people. After a brief scuffle with a ride op and a man complaining that he waited "4 hours" (my "bottom") and the police showing up they shut the ride down for the night. However they gave us a pass to skip the line at TTD (never used) and a pass to skip the line for any ride we wanted (used on MF.)

The thing is Cedar Point does a much better job relating with the guests than PKI. We always had the option to leave, they even told us we should go ride the other coasters (all walk ons anyway besides MF) but we were going to wait to see what happened and they respected that, and they gave us passes to enjoy other rides without the wait which was great. Actually now that I'm writing this I remember being stuck on Face/Off and being told we would receive exit passes as we were on the ride for over half hour and we received nothing.

Each person got two exit passes when we "mislaunched" on Flight of Fear and had to walk back and get out of line. I guess every experience is different for everyone. Maybe you need to learn how to complain more. PKI will do something for you. They can't "relate" if you're not complaining. They figure you didn't care. The marketing/guest relations dept. at PKI is the best I've seen, so that's where you want to complain to... I wouldn't encourage it though if you really didn't feel bad about what happened.

+Danny

I just want to know why everyone thinks that all coasters and flats should have 100% uptime. What the hell? This sounds tacky, but if I got stuck on a ride at King's Island or at any amusement park and wasn't injured, I'd go home and tell all my friends how I got stuck on such and such.

Some of you get ****ed, I would get excited!!

The thing is Cedar Point does a much better job relating with the guests than PKI. We always had the option to leave, they even told us we should go ride the other coasters (all walk ons anyway besides MF) but we were going to wait to see what happened and they respected that, and they gave us passes to enjoy other rides without the wait which was great. Actually now that I'm writing this I remember being stuck on Face/Off and being told we would receive exit passes as we were on the ride for over half hour and we received nothing.

Giving out exit passes is not Guest Relating. At least it isn't in our book at Kings Island. Guest Relating is talking to guests and interracting with them. I went to Cedar Point last summer and waited in line for TTD for 2 hours. When we got into the station they told us that TTD would be down for a little while. We asked an employee how long it would be and they just ignored us.

Another story about a CP associate. My friend went on Cedar Point's Monster. She happens to be a driver at the Kings Island Monster. She told the associate that and asked if she could drive (jokingly) and the CP associate told her to "f*** off."

I am not trying to bash CP. I believe that both parks are great and they both have their plusses and their minuses. I just don't think that PKI employees are getting the respect they deserve from some people in this thread.