Cedar Fair pickers scour Europe for vintage amusement park rides

I'd like Conneaut to be able to live on it's own, however I think that time is sadly gone. Too little too late I fear, and that's what hurts the most.

It would be. I'm suggesting paying that for the RIDE. (The excess over fair market value may be considered a tax deduction--Cedar Fair would need to consult its tax advisors. Remember, the park is owned by a charitable trust.)

The amount could pay off the creditors and the park could get a fresh start.

And quit skimming posts (you missed that the carousel mechanic is working gratis, too.)

• Like 4

No that was the point, I don't want Cedar Fair to get the ride, pay it off, take it and put it somewhere. I want Tumble Bug, Devils Den, Blue Streak, and others to remain there. Yes Conneaut would be able to survive, but I don't want anything to leave. It'd be a shame to go there and see blank spots, more than there already are or will be.

Why not go to Conneaut, offer several million for Tumble Bug (rescuing the park and the ride, without risk)? Be sure to get court approval of the sale.

Look like a hero, and BE one.

I would absolutely die of happiness if Tumble Bug somehow made its way to Kings Island. That would be amazing, especially if it ended up in Coney Mall. And I would like Conneaut to make it, so it would make me very happy to see them make a big step in the right direction. Someone get in contact with Cedar Fair, stat!

The idea of Cedar Fair folks wandering Europe, knocking on various parks' administrations' doors and asking for their old rides seems a little like an enthusiast's imagination getting away from them, but the source seems credible. If this is actually happening, I so hope it's successful. If it works, this could be one of my favorite moves any park/park chain has ever made.

• Like 10

Why not go to Conneaut, offer several million for Tumble Bug (rescuing the park and the ride, without risk)? Be sure to get court approval of the sale.

I would absolutely die of happiness if Tumble Bug somehow made its way to Kings Island. That would be amazing, especially if it ended up in Coney Mall. And I would like Conneaut to make it, so it would make me very happy to see them make a big step in the right direction. Someone get in contact with Cedar Fair, stat!

The idea of Cedar Fair folks wandering Europe, knocking on various parks' administrations' doors and asking for their old rides seems a little like an enthusiast's imagination getting away from them, but the source seems credible. If this is actually happening, I so hope it's successful. If it works, this could be one of my favorite moves any park/park chain has ever made.

It's definitely happening. Bryan Edwards at Cedar Point tweeted the article.

• Like 12

Look like a hero, and BE one

I would love this. I fear that when the park eventually goes, Kennywood will be the one to pick up the ride leaving only one remaining. I wish someone could pitch this idea to Cedar Fair.

• Like 6

I would love to see a Tilt-a-Whirl at KI! I loved the ones at Stricker's and Dorney! A roundup would also be amazing! And although it's not listed in the article, some spinning teacups would also be amazing! :D

I would love to see an Electric Rainbow supersized from Strickers and also a giant Ferris wheel like the London Eye.

• Like 5

Oktoberfest would be an awesome area to expand, there is so many possibilitys, but I can't see where they can expand the midway out to near the Flight of Fear building without removing Adventure Express.... No one touch Adventure Express!

• Like 8

Oktoberfest would be an awesome area to expand, there is so many possibilitys, but I can't see where they can expand the midway out to near the Flight of Fear building without removing Adventure Express.... No one touch Adventure Express!

That's a hilly area too and probably wouldn't be very good for expansion. Oktoberfest as it stands now doesn't have a lot of good areas to expand and its not very clearly defined either. I've always taken it as the area around the pond Viking Fury sits on, let me know if I'm wrong. Perhaps the garden/smoking area could be considered Oktoberfest and fit in a ride or two, moving the smoking area behind the Eiffel Tower. Something small (Scrambler small) might fit in the area by Viking Fury's entrance. The dining area behind Hank's Burrito Shack may be able to fit a ride while still maintaining enough tables.

If they would move/remove some things a few more areas could open up. The  Adventure Express exit area (former Enterprise area) could house a flat ride if they removed the Coke building and the rope climb.  If Sling Shot was moved/removed that could fit a good sized flat. And there is a building next to Viking Fury that could fit a ride if removed. I don't remember what it is and nothing pops up on Google Maps. I doubt the park would want to remove stuff like that though.

I've always thought one of those vine tunnels would fit in well with the Oktoberfest theme but I'm not sure where they could fit one, maybe next to the Festhouse? I've always thought opening the path under Diamondback and using the vine tunnel to hide any necessary catch nets under the ride would be neat. 

I think Oktoberfest would be a great fit for some classic flats (as would Coney Mall of course) and would love to see some put in there to bulk up that area of the park. Many of those pay attractions could easily fit elsewhere.

• Like 6

Wow, what a well written and well researched article!  I'm not used to that when reading articles on amusement parks.

I'd love to see some, or all, of the classics back.  Watching the Brady Bunch episode reminds me how much the park has lost over the years.  How great it would be to have TumbleBug, Bayern Kurve, Spinnin Keggers (or even the Cauldrons), Wheel of Fortune/Trabant, Rotor, Halley's Comet/Round Up and Cuddle Up back in the park!

Hopefully some of this comes to fruition with KI.  Good luck to the pickers, bring back some good ones for us!

Then go to Mr. Hart and buy back the shoesies.

Brilliant idea!  Or actually, ideas plural, if only Mr. Hart would be willing to part with his shoes, which I doubt he would be.

• Like 15