Cedar Fair pickers scour Europe for vintage amusement park rides

I'd like Conneaut to be able to live on it's own, however I think that time is sadly gone. Too little too late I fear, and that's what hurts the most.

It would be. I'm suggesting paying that for the RIDE. (The excess over fair market value may be considered a tax deduction--Cedar Fair would need to consult its tax advisors. Remember, the park is owned by a charitable trust.)

The amount could pay off the creditors and the park could get a fresh start.

And quit skimming posts (you missed that the carousel mechanic is working gratis, too.)

As long as the market value of the ride is below a certain percentage then the entire "gift" to the charitable organization would be tax deductible. Otherwise only part would be deductible. Much like donation requirements to purchase seats at college athletics are usually about 80% deductible.

• Like 1

I'd like Conneaut to be able to live on it's own, however I think that time is sadly gone. Too little too late I fear, and that's what hurts the most.

It would be. I'm suggesting paying that for the RIDE. (The excess over fair market value may be considered a tax deduction--Cedar Fair would need to consult its tax advisors. Remember, the park is owned by a charitable trust.)

And quit skimming posts (you missed that the carousel mechanic is working gratis, too.)

As long as the market value of the ride is below a certain percentage then the entire "gift" to the charitable organization would be tax deductible. Otherwise only part would be deductible. Much like donation requirements to purchase seats at college athletics are usually about 80% deductible.

Actually, your example proves its the opposite.

The portion above the fair market value is the contribution--in your example, 80 percent. Even when an item given the donor has only minimal value, its fair market value is still deducted from the amount given the donee. See pledge gifts from public broadcasting--just like your collegiate athletic seats.

Cedar Fair still should consult its own tax advisors.

Terp, who does...stuff...during the day, for pay, even, such as it is.

• Like 3

Actually, your example proves its the opposite.

The portion above the fair market value is the contribution--in your example, 80 percent. Even when an item given the donor has only minimal value, its fair market value is still deducted from the amount given the donee. See pledge gifts from public broadcasting--just like your collegiate athletic seats.

Cedar Fair still should consult its own tax advisors.

Terp, who does...stuff...during the day, for pay, even, such as it is.

Basically a person or company should not receive more than 7-10% in value to make their gift tax deductible.

Adding to this post that most of my experience comes from working in collegiate athletics development. We have to watch how many gifts we give donors very closely specifically because of them being able to write off their donations.

• Like 4

This is great news for Cedar Fair Parks! I really want them to pick up an Enterprise or a Rotor. I have heard legendary stories about the Rotor from my dad, it seems like a cool and scary ride. Hope we get some classic European rides coming this way soon!

• Like 5

Plus, in recalling the dropping floor- it was alright when it dropped, but sometimes it was shin stunning when it popped back up at the end. It didn't spring up, as I recall, but I do remember it hitting the soles of one's feet pretty solidly.

Also, the Rotor always attracted guys that would try to maneuver themselves into an awkward position on the wall, like upside down. I'm sure the floor coming up to meet their brain pan at the end of the ride didn't feel great.

• Like 4

Plus, in recalling the dropping floor- it was alright when it dropped, but sometimes it was shin stunning when it popped back up at the end. It didn't spring up, as I recall, but I do remember it hitting the soles of one's feet pretty solidly.

Also, the Rotor always attracted guys that would try to maneuver themselves into an awkward position on the wall, like upside down. I'm sure the floor coming up to meet their brain pan at the end of the ride didn't feel great.

Speaking of upside-down guys on Rotors, this popped up in the Old Photos of Cincinnati group on Facebook recently...

11855744_10204678142612864_5771759239024

This is reportedly from Coney Island in 1950. Courtesy of Facebook user Rose Taylor. Original post: http://on.fb.me/1JWperm

• Like 10

• 5 months later...