Cedar Point: Man killed at Raptor trespassing in restricted area

Copied from the other thread I was starting at the same time you posted this:

From Cedar Point's Facebook page:

At approximately 5 p.m., a guest entered a restricted, fenced area of the Raptor roller coaster and was struck by the ride. Park safety officials responded immediately to the situation. Unfortunately the guest has passed away. Local authorities are on the scene conducting an investigation.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time.

This is the day LeBron James' foundation took 6,000 kids to the park. Doubly tragic how such a wonderful story will be eclipsed by a tragedy. :(

EDIT - So far, as more on-line news outlets begin reporting on this, the headlines seem to responsibly  convey that this was the result of a guest violating safety rules, and does not come off ambiguously. Still, sad.

• Like 13

My guess is a dropped cell phone? People keep so much valuable info on those stupid things, that they'll take irrational chances to get them back.An even deadlier combination if they weren't mature enough to make rational decisions in the first place. It's the railroad crossing dare, in the form of a fence and a roller coaster.

• Like 6

Wow...and this is the same year a similar accident happened, for the 2nd time, on Flight Deck at California's Great America. My condolences to the family. But I have to wonder- why the heck did this guy jump the fence!?!? Not a smart move, at all...even if it is a shirt worth $1,000,000+ or something, nothing is worth the risk of dying like this. Just tell the park and they will send your item back to you when the park closes...

I also hope the riders who were on the train are OK. This is something that would scare the daylights out of anyone- to be riding a roller coaster, everything is going normally, and then this happens.

Hopefully, Cedar Fair won't have to start putting barbed wire or something around all their rides because people break the rules like this.

• Like 3

^^
Agreed on barbed wire not looking good- hence why I said I hope it doesn't have to come to something like that. Though even with that, I'd still see a few very bold people trying to jump the fence anyway- IE, they would not care that their hands would get cut up as well trying to get their stuff back.

What parks have now may be the only realistic option- standard fences with warning signs will keep 99.999999% of guests out of restricted areas. It's that 0.000001% who don't think rationally that this is a issue with. Even super-tall view blocking fences (which are bad for rule-following guests as they bock views) wouldn't deter some of them, who would try to climb the fence anyway and might even get over it somehow. The trade-off for parks may not be worth it.

Edit: Terp had a point, so I added a bunch of decimals as far less than 1% of guests do this anyway. May still be an exaggeration though.

• Like 3

Hopefully, Cedar Fair won't have to start putting barbed wire or something around all their rides because people break the rules like this.

Or electric fence.

This sucks. Hope the passengers on the train are ok (physically/mentally) and the man's family are in my thoughts.

• Like 3

^
Electric Fences could be an even worse option- possible lawsuits there. Even if someone just bumped a fence on accident, which sometimes does happen if it gets crowded in the area...zap. Cue lawsuit.

Very tall fences would likely be the safest option, but even those would have problems (as I did mention).

UPDATE:
My local news has their version of the story.

http://www.wthr.com/story/29783683/cedar-point-guest-struck-killed-by-roller-coaster

Apparently a cell phone was what this guy was going to get. I might have guessed that...people, for whatever reason, are crazy about their phones these days...

• Like 3

How tragic and shocking. Noone goes to an amusement park expecting to lose their life or face any major catastrophe.

What this person did really wasn't a wise decision, however right now criticism isn't needed at this time. Right now thoughts need to be with the family and friends of the life lost today, and anyone who had to see, endure, or work this accident. Think of the ride ops who had to potentially shut down a ride of screaming people, and maybe wash blood off of a train. The EMS responding even though trained and prepared for these terrible scenarios also probably just had an extremely rough day. My thoughts go out to all afflicted. We go to amusement parks like Cedar Point to create memories with those close to us, not endure lifelong consequences and trauma.

• Like 13

Nowhere near one percent of guests fence jump.

At approximately 3,000,000 guests that would be 30,000 a year at one park. Bull. In two decades plus of operation, how many have jumped Raptor's fence?

Please don't exaggerate.

Undocumented and without injury, serious or no? One every year. But that's putting every other coaster and ride at the Point into the (very hypothetical and not fact-based) equation.

• Like 2

I'm also curious to hear if he asked a staff member to get his cell phone first. Inwhich he was most likely told not till the park closes to which he took matters into his own hands.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 9

This is terrible publicity for a park that is days away from announcing a new "history making" attraction. No matter what the ride is, it will be overshadowed, at least in the weeks to come, by this incident.

Side note: This is the first death to occur in the park in it's 145 year history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11