Cedar Point: Man killed at Raptor trespassing in restricted area

This is the problem,  people or society is placing material things above themselves!  And maybe some of it has to do the memories of with the object,  but still you can always buy a new hat, purse,  watch,  phone,  wallet to make new memories and information lost.  Always care about yourself first!

• Like 3

6ad84c73ccd33a1257a73cd4a3579621.jpg

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

I've always thought those in horribly bad taste. Loss of human life should never become a source of humor or entertainment. I've always wondered how this happens. If I ever jumped a security fence, **AND I NEVER, EVER WOULD,** I would at least make sure a train wasn't coming when I walked under the track.

• Like 6

Respectfully.... 

Here are the top 8 headline results on Google if you search for "man killed at Cedar Point"....

1. Man killed by roller coaster was looking for lost wallet, cell phone, mother says

2. Roller coaster hits, kills Cedar Point park patron - CNN.com

3. Cedar Point roller coaster reopens after teacher struck ...

4. Man killed at Cedar Point | Sandusky Register

5. Man Killed by Raptor Roller Coaster at Cedar Point Park ...

6Teacher killed by Cedar Point roller coaster: 'He'd just gotten ...

7. Man struck, killed by Cedar Point roller coaster identified ...

8. Cedar Point guest dies after entering restricted area, being ...

So forgive me, what about these headlines are misleading or wrong.  Dude got hit by a coaster.  I guess Im confused at what everyone is upset about.  Even if I didnt read the story, the headlines (top 8) would tell me most of the story.  Some dude got hit by a coaster in an area he wasnt supposed to be.  

People do stupid stuff.  This guy was beyond stupid.  But to blame the media because they are reporting facts, blows my mind...

Yes.. generalizations are easy to fall into because we tend to exaggerate for making easy communication.

Common sense isn't so common nowadys? -- Hey, many more than half still aren't going into restricted, dangerous areas.. that's more common than people of the likes of this topic.

Everyone is upset? -- Though it's virtually impossible to know how many are and aren't, we know, at least with good probability, that Terpy isn't upset at the media.

* This literal, but still somewhat service-filling post, was brought to you by a guy in a weird mood, me.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

It's just an opinion. I feel kinda protective of the amusement park industry, and just get rubbed the wrong way by what looks like deliberate ambiguity. I understand and appreciate the commercial and competitive need for click-baiting headlines; I get that. It's that I also can see how the ambiguities can tend to shape the attitudes of those who only read above the fold. To reinforce public awareness of the danger, it seems in the public's best interest to lead with the key detail of 'Guest enters restricted area...' imho

• Like 6

So many factors are involved. Illusions of how much time is available to move in-and-out of a small area, how much distance there is between the ground and a potential object, how sound travels (especially on a steel roller coaster, in a park with other loud attractions, music, crowds, etc.), and perhaps very powerful consternation about sensitive information that a person doesn't want falling into the wrong hands being on that phone, could all potentially come together to form such a catastrophe.

Such situations beget adrenaline and hyper-focus, which distorts peripheral attention. It's how wide receivers make mind-blowing catches in triple coverage. They're aware of the impending impacts coming from any number of directions, and with any degree of severity, but the objective of catching and holding on to the ball outweighs the tendency to brace for and/or avoid the outside threat. The distortion affects timing. The timing of the catch is spot-on, but then readjusting to the timing of the secondary objective of returning to safety has been dangerously -and tragically- underestimated. Without practice (which no one does in this particular case (i.e., illegally retrieving an object between coaster cycles)), it is impossible to execute all of the maneuvers in such a confined, restricted space.

1. Fence jumped. You hear rattling and roaring, but you "just gotta get that stupid phone." You have 30 seconds to live.

2. Phone recovered. Relief, but limited by fear. Gotta get back out of this area before you're caught. You have 15 seconds to live.

3. There's the fence, but no, that's too high. Gotta find the best route back out of here. You have 5 seconds to live.

4. You hear a sudden, loud mechanical rush behind you. You begin to turn around-

This reminds me of "178 seconds to live", an explanation of what can happen if a pilot has little or no flight instrument training.

• Like 4

It's just an opinion. I feel kinda protective of the amusement park industry, and just get rubbed the wrong way by what looks like deliberate ambiguity. I understand and appreciate the commercial and competitive need for click-baiting headlines; I get that. It's that I also can see how the ambiguities can tend to shape the attitudes of those who only read above the fold. To reinforce public awareness of the danger, it seems in the public's best interest to lead with the key detail of 'Guest enters restricted area...' imho

Maybe (not a maybe) I am just defensive when it comes to the media. I really believe that the majority of the public does not need to be reminded to not enter restricted areas.

The ones that do, are probably not reading news stories or will not be affected by a news story.

And Terp, I live on generalizations :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ever buy a car and know more about it than the salesperson? And that salesperson sells a limited line or lines of cars (if she sells new cars).

It's important to realize that reporters/writers/editors/producers know very little about parks and rides. The press conference is often their only major source of information--that and their personal experiences in parks, which were often years ago.

At a press conference like the one by law enforcement here, in the Park's statements, delicacy and some tip toeing around is normal.

It's news because a man died at a park. A coaster was involved. If this happened often (like car wrecks or some kinds of industrial accidents), it wouldn't be news. It also happened in August, when many vacation at parks.

To expect the media to lead with man caused his own death is to expect too much. And yes, by entering the restricted area, the man caused the proximate cause that led to, in this case, his death.

He made a bad choice. He's dead. He may or may not have realized the danger.

The media has/had a story. Not every story is a teachable moment for an industry, government agency or celebrity. Public relations in a case like this has a goal. Dignity, respect. Try to be sure the park and industry are not made to look bad over something that may be beyond their control.

This has been handled well.

Remember, a man is dead. His family grieves.

Those of you who want to force media emphasis on the restricted area--let me point out some things (only one or two--I could go much further--I won't. Not here. Not ever here.)

First, Raptor re-opened yesterday. The State of Ohio found no reason it should not. It operated in 1994. It operated August 13, part of the day. It operated part of the day yesterday.

If the park stridently and tactlessly pushed the restrictive area part of this story, much of the media then would have questions galore. How high was the fence? What's on top of it? How'd the guy get over it? And on and on. And the

ride might well be closed. For the rest of the season or for...

See also The White House.

People in the industry try hard to keep people safe (and make money). People in the media try hard to keep people informed (and make money). Neither is as easy as it looks.

In closing, we've had hours to focus on this, to debate it, to ponder. The media, the park had mere minutes. And to the family the minutes and hours since it has happened seem like weeks, months and years.

A man has died.

A roller coaster.

A fence.

Dignity.

Respect.

(And "Darwin Awards" make this site and the users here look callous and uncaring--laughing at a man's death. Not good. Not good at all. What if it were your uncle? In haste, we ALL have done some pretty dumb things. Was the penalty, swiftly delivered, death?)

• Like 20

I grew increasingly frustrated just reading the first 2 articles from the above post.

Not because of the article, but because of the other links provided in the article:

"10 year old dies at Six Flags"

"Theme park ride breaks, sends riders flying"

Why are these links provided in this story??

This incompetence is pure Nancy Grace & Fox news mixed together.

• Like 5

Terp.... Thank you for wording it better than I ever could. I will add something a sort of former insider thing.

Working in the media on something like this is terrible. I have seen video of what's left when a person and semi meet and have interviewed a person as their house burned in the background (on the day after Christmas).

You get a phone call or you hear on the radio about something happens. You grab your gear and your reporter and you go. You don't know what you are getting into. You get as much info and you send it back to the station. You don't talk about the situation till after the news/when it runs. You go for drinks and you realize that you just trivialized a mans life into a 30 second hit. You realize it could have been anyone you know. Sometimes you word a thing in a way you don't like.

But then again, most things like this are out of our minds by the next day because there is something bad or worse that comes up he next day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I think we, as enthusiasts, are quick to judge. Sure, he should have known better. But if I died on the way to the park going over the speed limit, did I not do the same thing? Or the folks who eat 3 way Skyline combos at the park and have a myriad of health issues that lead to death, they are out of bounds too. This death was sudden and tragic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This man made a poor decision. In the moment, I'm sure he thought he had timed everything out and had enough time to get his things and get back. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. 

Now, his family and friends have to pick up the pieces and prepare for a final goodbye. The people that cared for him move forward knowing that a single choice took his life. The team at Cedar Point that had to handle this situation sure didn't expect to experience this when they clocked in to work. The riders and the people in line for Raptor when this accident happened had a new perspective of a rollercoaster's power. The students and families from Akron had their day of celebration overshadowed. The impact will be long reaching for both his loved ones and the strangers at the park that day. 

His choice may have created this situation, but my heart is thinking of those that loved him. They are grieving and the last thing they need is for strangers to judge the man they loved. 

• Like 6

I think we, as enthusiasts, are quick to judge. Sure, he should have known better. But if I died on the way to the park going over the speed limit, did I not do the same thing? Or the folks who eat 3 way Skyline combos at the park and have a myriad of health issues that lead to death, they are out of bounds too. This death was sudden and tragic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

While I do agree enthusiasts often look through rose colored glasses, speeding and Skyline are poor examples comparing to the deceased's tragic decision.

Both of your examples in excess can harm you. But if done in moderation, will not. 5mph over the limit is speeding, but hitting anything at the 55mph can kill you just like if you were driving at 60mph.

Same goes for Skyline. While not the healthiest of foods, eaten once a month will not kill you, but eating it everyday could.

He made a bad & hasty decision. There is a fence, with postings, surrounding the area for a reason. He did not heed the warnings and unfortunately paid the ultimate price. There is not much to "judge" concerning the tragedy.

Now enthusiasts being compassionate with the tragedy? Yeah, some really don't get it.

• Like 5

I've tried to feel sympathetic for the victim, he seemed like a decent human being. I hate to see other forums make him out to be some sort of mass murderer or wild animal. But to suggest that his death was anyone else's fault other than his is absolutely ridiculous. If the fences are so ineffective, how come most sensible people ask one of the employees for assistance?

• Like 7

Signs were clearly posted to stay out. He broke two rules- loose item on the ride, and entering a restricted area. It was nobody's fault but his own.

I support the addition of more signs explaining EXACTLY what to do in that situation on the fence. "If you lose an item while on the ride, please contact guest services and we will be happy to retrieve it for you after the park closes and the ride has been shut down. This fence is a restricted area, and entry at any time may lead to serious injury or death." Something like that. Maybe add something on like violators will be fined/prosecuted/banned from all Cedar Fair parks, etc.

They should not HAVE to do that, and they have no fault, in my opinion. It just could prevent more incidents like this from happening and hurting Cedar Point's image. In the end, it is up to the guest to follow the clearly posted rules. And if people value technology over their lives, that's their problem.

It's a shame this happened, he sounds like a really nice guy. But it was his fault, not Cedar Fair's.

• Like 2

Are they allowed to fine someone for trespassing if they are caught before they are killed or injured? Makes sense that a fine would be a good deterrent.

I think of it this way- I don't speed while driving, because I want to avoid a fine. Not because of any perceived risk to my life. I figure IF I were to speed I would be just fine. (Which is not necessarily true, anything can happen!) But I don't want to pay for it, so I obey the posted speed limit.

Put up a sign saying the area is video monitored and that violators will be fined (somewhere around the cost of a phone, so that it's not worth the risk) and maybe that would be a good deterrent. Money is more "real" to some people than a chance they could lose their lives.

• Like 3

It makes me mad how we have warn people specifically about EVERYTHING! It really comes down to common sense and some things should just be common knowledge.  Like, you should know not to grab a lawn mower blade while it's in motion, however, we see those warning labels on lawn mowers.  Really people, did we have to tell you that?  Do we really have to tell you that coffee is hot and to be careful with it?

Just like in this case, if he couldn't figure out that entering a restricted area while the ride was running could have dangerous, then it was nobody's fault but his own.  At some point we need to stop babying everyone and understand that people should have common sense, and if not, well then that's their problem.  People cannot keep being held responsible for other peoples' stupidity!

• Like 2