Star Wars Lands Coming to Disney World and Disneyland

Why does Disney wait SO LONG to even begin construction? Why bother announcing years before even starting construction?

There are probably a few reasons. For one, Disneyland park hasn't gotten a new E-Ticket since 1995 (20 years ago) and Hollywood Studios is in abysmal shape. Fans need to know that something - anything - is happening there, and with Disney's semi-annual D23, the next opportunity for a grand announcement would be 2017. Yikes!

Second, Harry Potter is moving in at Universal Studios Hollywood... While the industry environment is much different out there (Disney and Universal are both elements of a Southern California vacation much more than competitors... they even team up for the CItyPASS ticket), Disney's announcement now has something to do with the Wizarding World in California, I bet.

As to why they can't just put up the walls and start building today... Honestly, I don't know.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Bumpity bump bump bumpity bump bump... :P

Some new details about Star Wars Land are out, and it's now revealed that guests will be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon herself! This isn't just a theater/simulator thing like Star Tours, though; the Imagineer in the presentation below stated, "Step aboard that iconic spaceship, the Millennium Falcon and take the controls yourself. You’re actually going to pilot this thing. You’re going to be the one in complete control, steering it through outer space, firing those lasers cannons, it’s all up to you so please be gentle with her."

http://io9.gizmodo.com/youll-get-to-fly-the-millennium-falcon-at-disneys-two-n-1772962563

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/04/video-star-wars-land-presentation-at-disneys-awaken-summer-media-event/

Now this sounds really, really cool! :)

• Like 2

Why does Disney wait SO LONG to even begin construction? Why bother announcing years before even starting construction?

Idea: Ticket sales and to keep locals flocking into the park to make updates. Thus creating popular PR with local media outlets (TPR, Orlando Sentinel, etc), making more people intrigued with the addition. Therefore making people buy more tickets and plan WDW vacations with Walt Disney World or a local travel agency working with WDW Resorts. That's just my two cents from what I see usually, it's an interesting bit of Floridian culture.

• Like 1

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I don't really see the correlation between your first 2 sentences and people buying more tickets. And there seems to be way more complaining about how Disney drags its feet with construction than anything else. In fact most of the media coverage I've read is about how little there is to do at HS now that the 2 new lands are under construction. How is that going to get more people into the park until it opens?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1