Kings Island overall food concession experience 2015

Tr0y

There's the many catered meals that the park serves each year. (Special events, park buy-outs, etc) The park makes food that's a lot fancier than what gets served at its quick service eateries.

The pulled chicken served at Hank's is new this year. Even when menus don't change, evolving procedures & training employees would be an ongoing process.

Note that Nathan was with the park's food department long before being named executive chef.

• Like 2

Woof. Panda Express was TERRIBLE the last time we went. We're usually pretty big fans of Panda, but the orange chicken they were flinging out was nothing but nasty cinnamon-flavored droppings. It was pretty embarrassing for us with our friends who are new to Cedar Parks.

• Like 4

Montgomery Inn.

Your point?

The slaw? Ick.

COASTERSTOCK ribs were most definitely not Montgomery Inn quality, I can guarantee it. If so, then I need to go to the deep south for some other "style" ribs.

From the reports I read, you may be the ONLY person who like the ribs.

Good on you.

I have a bittersweet relation ship with ribs. Montgomery Inn (the last of were in the late 2000's) that I have had were of good taste until eventually I quit going there due to the economy. Since, I have been to many great places in the south where I have experienced some of the best ribs of my life. I haven't had ribs in months until I went to COASTER STOCK of which the ribs were just of a lowe quality with all of the fat and barely any meat and made me look like a fool in front of other enthusiasts. I have never been to RHOFG nor to Montgomery to see if I just got bad ribs or if the recipe has changed in bulk. I hope that I only got a bad batch, as it is not the quality I know Kings Island for.
  • Like 1

Ride ops are not taught only on the job.

Far from it.

You'd be surprised who is cross trained to do what.

Indeed but, instead of taking someone from a job that provides safety and security they could have picked someone like a park custodian or the dip n dots guy. Better yet, one of those office executives could have spent a couple hours working as a ride op. It would be a great way to Interact with park goers and gauge on how their park experience has been. It could also be a great way to check on park efficiency. It's obvious they don't eat the same food park goers eat. Otherwise ( well hopefully ) this thread may have never been created.
  • Like 1

I'd conjecture that the standard food offerings have nothing to do with Chef Nate.  He's probably more of a "face" for events that the park can sell to the GP.

This was my first year eating at the Reds Hall of Fame and the selection was good as was the quality.  I even met Chef Nate once there and he asked what I thought about my meal. 

The Taco Shack was really good (in spite of the terrible waits) until last week when the chicken was not seasoned at all.  It was almost like they boiled the chicken in water and shredded it.

I hope that in 2016 Kings Island will work on the speed of service and address the root issues--what I see is the back line employees being unmotivated--and getting trays!  The Taco Shack also has those airway blowers and that is not conducive to exiting the building without loosing chips or getting food blown away.

The friendliness of the food staff has been good and the quality has been generally good, but the speed is terrible.

• Like 4

I was at the park yesterday afternoon and wanted to get a Banshee Twist ice cream, and I guess something was wrong with the Ice cream and it was too soft To put into a cone so they were serving it in a bowl wit the cone on top. Not really used to eating a cone that way but I absolutely LOVE Banshee TWIST. it tastes so good. I don't what's better. Graeters or Banshee twist.

• Like 1

Well today my experience at the food concessions is like night and day compared to yesterday and Thursday. I mean. I know it's a Saturday, but the wait times were HORRIBLE today. I dropped out of line at a couple different stands because they were taking WAY TOO LONG. I'm standing in line as I type this at Graeters just because I can't go back home without getting the black raspberry Choco chip. After this I'm done with KI concessions for my visit.

• Like 2

And you see, you have that choice.

With a meal plan, they have your money. And whatever choices, quality and service they deign to provide, you are stuck. You paid anyway.

No, thanks.

Yes. Exactly. I don't know, but with Cedar Point being my home park, the concessions aren't nearly as bad as they are here. I don't get it. I mean , in general, all of KI's staff is pretty laid back, which is not particularly a BAD thing, it's just that when it comes to food service, I like a LITTLE promptness. Oh well. I only come here once a year.

• Like 2

I went to the Cincinnati Zoo today, first time I've been there in a few months and it was kinda nice to get quality food service, Kings Island could learn a few things from them. I went to the Skyline at the zoo, there was a line, it moved fast, the cashier knew what she was doing, and I got my food less than 30 seconds after I paid for it. Amazing how that works...

• Like 2

They could take a page from the Reds as well.  They always find ways to improve the ballpark experience every year, and an emphasis of that is improving the food, much of which wouldn't be that foreign to an amusement park environment.  I don't mind paying the extra money at the Reds game to eat there.  

• Like 4