blackout maze!

mangohaunt

Fox19 interviewed Don Helbig (from within the building that will house Blackout) and he said it will be pitch black and the scareactors will be wearing night vision glasses.

And that last part, killed it for me :(.  I have a very difficult/nearly impossible time in "regular" Haunts that contain scareactors, handling them in that type of environment would be impossible.  I was genuinely hoping for the type of experience I described.

• Like 3

We used to train with night vision goggles in the Highwoods Mountains of central Montana, where it was very dark - outside! Nothing's creepier than knowing someone's right next to you, who can see you but you can't see them! It's just, eerie!

BTW these were the kind that if you looked upward, you could see like 10x more stars than you could without them, and someone half a mile away, puffing on a cigarette, looks like he's shining a laser into your eyes! Incredible tech.

• Like 7

If the maze is pitch black then it will be interesting to see how they handle capacity.  

Very interesting.  I remember a section of House of Darkness in the early years of Haunt (FF) that was pitch black.  Great part of that house.

It's a fairly small building to begin with, and Club Blood only took roughly four minutes to get through. I'd almost assume they might use CB's layout and wall structure and just remove all the props to be a super cost-saver.

• Like 4

Might give it a try if the line is short, but they had one like that for a couple years at a haunted house park in Indy and it wasn't that great. Gets pretty old fast, was more tedious than fun and no real tension. Was always glad to have a scare actor since they'd turn on a flash light real quick to reveal themselves so it gave a moment of light. Probably scary if you are afraid of the dark or claustrophobic, but otherwise not that great.

• Like 1

Plot twist: the Skeleton Key room in Blackout will be the only lit room in the house. Whatever they show you there will give you more reason to be afraid of what you can't see. (I'm making this up, of course.)

In all seriousness, the idea of a house being pitch black screams low people throughput--pun fully intended. I won't be surprised if it's Fright Lane-only. Actually, I'm kinda expecting it. I could very well be wrong (I don't pay as much attention to Halloween events), but I believe that both Knott's and Dorney have both experimented with Fright Lane-only houses before.

Honestly, the last Halloween event experience I had was Halloweekends last year, and the experience was enough that I'm a little intimidated by the idea of Haunt events (and especially Blackout) this year. On one house, I was the only one with Skeleton Key, and it included a pitch-black room with scareactors in it. I'm kind of a wuss about these things, and I don't think I've ever been so scared at any amusement park ever. Obviously, I wouldn't expect any different from the event, as that's kind of the point--it just made an impression on me. Whichever park it is (BGT?) that has a house you go through by yourself has officially presented the first haunted something at a park I would avoid purely out of fear. If I do Blackout this year, I will have a death grip on the shoulders of whichever unfortunate friend goes through it with me.

• Like 4

What if it's a big empty building and groups of 20 or so are lead in at a time. It's all about using your senses so I imagine that there are no props. Keep in mind, exit lights would still have to have some sort of lighting to be up to fire code. Maybe it's a maze but has flashes of lights occasionally (not strobes) to lead the way. I'm intrigued. Either way I'm sure it's going to be a cool attraction.

• Like 1

The other morning when Fox19 interviewed Don Helbig inside the building that will become Blackout, I noticed there were pieces of masking tape with the word "brick" written on them stuck to many of the walls (which are still graffitied in the style of Club Blood). At the time, I assumed these were indications for those walls to be painted to resemble brick. But, the more I think about it, the more superfluous it seems to faux paint something in a place that won't be seen.

So, I suspect they are going to apply brick /texture/ to those walls, and, perhaps, there will be textural clues within the walls to let one know which way to go.

• Like 3

Creepy......just feel your way through. Let's speculate. Brick walls, spider webs, slimy surfaces, then flashes of images to stoke your senses....hairy tarantula spiders on the walls, then darkness....you feel them crawling on you, while you hear them scurry up over the walls.... then you feel your way around a corner....you see flashes of a body bags hanging in a hall way....after darkness you feel your way through the bodies, you sense someone is following you, then you feel someone, breathing on your neck...more flashes of a bloody scene, you feel your feet sticking to some substance, you smell something disgusting, and you hear a knife dragging along a wall. You sense that someone is near and hear a low growling laugh in your ear......

This atraction has so much potential....I hope it's operated to the extreme!

• Like 11

Creepy......just feel your way through. Let's speculate. Brick walls, spider webs, slimy surfaces, then flashes of images to stoke your senses....hairy tarantula spiders on the walls, then darkness....you feel them crawling on you, while you hear them scurry up over the walls.... then you feel your way around a corner....you see flashes of a body bags hanging in a hall way....after darkness you feel your way through the bodies, you sense someone is following you, then you feel someone, breathing on your neck...more flashes of a bloody scene, you feel your feet sticking to some substance, you smell something disgusting, and you hear a knife dragging along a wall. You sense that someone is near and hear a low growling laugh in your ear......

That is a fantastic post. You should work as a designer for the Haunt. I hope it's half as good as your speculation!

• Like 3

Id be absolutely ecstatic with everything you described here, up until the"feel someone breathing on your neck" and the "low growling laugh in your ear" part.  That would put me into defense mode, and it just wouldnt end well.  Take out the roaming scaractors, and I am IN!

• Like 5

I don't know if I'll be trying this maze; seems scary. The pitch-black section in Board to Death was enough for me. A whole maze like this... nope!*

*Well, maybe I'd try it once, but if it's anything like how upstop is setting the scene to be, then probably not. I'll just stick to Carnevil and Slaughterhouse, thank you very much! (However, I would like to try Madame Fatale's this year...)

There was a similar concept at the Dungeon attraction in San Francisco I went through last year.  Large groups of about 20 were let into the room at a time, in complete darkness (though we were surrounded by mirrors, which made things even more disorienting).  Each group floundered around for what was about 5-6 minutes before being led through to the next room. This haunt will likely work the same way.  

• Like 4

(In reference to Delirium 2018's question)
When I went through last year, there was! It was towards the beginning of the maze- the second room I think it was. Don't know if the lights were intended to be off, but it was really dark.

EDITed for spelling; sorry, I was on my smartphone when I original typed this...  :wacko:

There was a similar concept at the Dungeon attraction in San Francisco I went through last year.  Large groups of about 20 were let into the room at a time, in complete darkness (though we were surrounded by mirrors, which made things even more disorienting).  Each group floundered around for what was about 5-6 minutes before being led through to the next room. This haunt will likely work the same way.  

KI's mazes attract large crowds, so capacity is a factor in their design. Whatever the design, I predict that people will keep moving (unless they pay for a Skeleton Key room).

Everyone's immediate reaction will be to pull out their phones to use as flashlights. It's what I do around home, anyway :)

Hopefully not; KI doesn't permit electronic devices to be used inside mazes.

• Like 3