blackout maze!

mangohaunt

Fox19 interviewed Don Helbig (from within the building that will house Blackout) and he said it will be pitch black and the scareactors will be wearing night vision glasses.

And that last part, killed it for me :(.  I have a very difficult/nearly impossible time in "regular" Haunts that contain scareactors, handling them in that type of environment would be impossible.  I was genuinely hoping for the type of experience I described.

One haunt that I attended (I think at Universal Orlando....cant be sure, I've been to many) several years ago provided the leader in the group with a flashlight....however it was rigged to work for a while then it would shut off at strategic points to allow the group to experience total darkness. The groups were small but the effect was totally awesome....because when the darkness occurred the monsters came out and their faces were slightly illuminated by glowing paint. Plus it was always the leader that got the scare...so the most afraid individual in the group moved to the front to hold the "security flashlight" that turned out to be their undoing....LOL

• Like 5

Fox19 interviewed Don Helbig (from within the building that will house Blackout) and he said it will be pitch black and the scareactors will be wearing night vision glasses.

And that last part, killed it for me :(. I have a very difficult/nearly impossible time in "regular" Haunts that contain scareactors, handling them in that type of environment would be impossible. I was genuinely hoping for the type of experience I described.

One haunt that I attended (I think at Universal Orlando....cant be sure, I've been to many) several years ago provided the leader in the group with a flashlight....however it was rigged to work for a while then it would shut off at strategic points to allow the group to experience total darkness. The groups were small but the effect was totally awesome....because when the darkness occurred the monsters came out and their faces were slightly illuminated by glowing paint. Plus it was always the leader that got the scare...so the most afraid individual in the group moved to the front to hold the "security flashlight" that turned out to be their undoing....LOL

I remember that. 2005 was a maze called Cemetery Mines in the building for Poseidon's Fury, and then 2006 was People Under The Stairs: Under Construction, in one of the tent buildings behind Men In Black. It was a cool concept, but the problem was that with the constant line of people going through the house, the flashlights were given to one out of every 20 or so people. So folks right in the middle were kind of screwed out of that experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I remember that. 2005 was a maze called Cemetery Mines in the building for Poseidon's Fury, and then 2006 was People Under The Stairs: Under Construction, in one of the tent buildings behind Men In Black. It was a cool concept, but the problem was that with the constant line of people going through the house, the flashlights were given to one out of every 20 or so people. So folks right in the middle were kind of screwed out of that experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes....Universal always has the conga lines.....The lines there are MASSIVE and constantly moving.  I do believe that Blackout is going to be a unique experience...I only hope it is NOTHING like Mysteria. That haunt was a disaster IMHO.

Good catch.....it does appear to be the Banshee loop. But im guessing its supposed to be as if its a reflection from across the midway. It would be cool though if there was more of a connection to the Banshee.....I guess we'll find out what its about soon enough!

I do think Banshee should have it's own house or maybe a roaming meet and greet character.

yes that would be cool but i think that the loop in the eye just symbolizes the fact that this is an amusment park maze
  • Like 2

Unless it would have helped to further explain whatever "story" the maze had (like how Knott's Black Magic Key shows the actual seance taking place and the spirits being released and wreaking havoc in the theater), there literally would have been no purpose for a Skeleton Key to be in Blackout except for a cheap cash grab. Which, considering that the Keys in the other mazes aren't story-related either (Slaughterhouse and maybe DDD being the exception), and they made a habit at one point to stick gaudy photo-ops into mazes that broke up the flow, still surprised me that they didn't put one in.

TL;DR version: a rose is red, a violet is blue, a RingMaster is the Halloween equivalent of a cynical, bickering coaster enthusiast.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I know many say that is a loop in the eye of the Blackout logo. The more I look at it, I see a lock, more specifically a shackle/pad lock when looking at the black in the eye. Maybe Im looking too much in to it, time will tell.

But have you seen the high res image and it zoomed in? Its clearly a rollercoaster loop.. looks like Banshee's second vertical loop.

283657c8d6453d2c8d2be056512e8765.jpg

• Like 4

^ That could have something to do with how the face of Blackout's building is almost diagonal with Banshee's first loop. It would be act as the reflection which is possible with a human eye. It may not contain the lift hill it encompasses due to it distorting the image of the loop they wanted to showcase. 

I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's posts the past month about BLACKOUT packed with your predictions and theories of what lurks inside those walls...waiting for you to face your deepest, darkest fears that lies well within your soul.  What made you afraid of the dark when mommy and daddy kissed you goodnight, turned out the lights and closed your door to your room?  You dreaded that moment every....single....NIGHT!  You lay still, holding your breath, beads of sweat dripping from your forehead as you taste the saltiness of your tears seeping onto your lips and stinging your tongue, hoping that whatever it is, doesn't find you under the covers and whisks you away forever into another World.  If you haven't outgrown it then...you haven't outgrown it now!   Just keep on letting your mind wonder a bit more as we arrive closer to the reveal of the unknown.

That's my take.  That's what I feared every night as a child in ANY dark room.  Opening Night is THIS FRIDAY at 6 PM!!!!!  I hope you all are right and it's exciting as you all make it out to be.  

• Like 4

The other morning when Fox19 interviewed Don Helbig inside the building that will become Blackout, I noticed there were pieces of masking tape with the word "brick" written on them stuck to many of the walls (which are still graffitied in the style of Club Blood). At the time, I assumed these were indications for those walls to be painted to resemble brick. But, the more I think about it, the more superfluous it seems to faux paint something in a place that won't be seen.

So, I suspect they are going to apply brick /texture/ to those walls, and, perhaps, there will be textural clues within the walls to let one know which way to go.

I know I'm quoting myself, but I wanted to mention what I saw last time I was at the park (since I forgot at the time).

The door to the maze was open, and I could see in to the nearest wall, and I can confirm that my speculation about brick /texture/ was correct. I don't how much it will come into play in the way we actually "enjoy" the maze.

• Like 3

I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's posts the past month about BLACKOUT packed with your predictions and theories of what lurks inside those walls...waiting for you to face your deepest, darkest fears that lies well within your soul. What made you afraid of the dark when mommy and daddy kissed you goodnight, turned out the lights and closed your door to your room? You dreaded that moment every....single....NIGHT! You lay still, holding your breath, beads of sweat dripping from your forehead as you taste the saltiness of your tears seeping onto your lips and stinging your tongue, hoping that whatever it is, doesn't find you under the covers and whisks you away forever into another World. If you haven't outgrown it then...you haven't outgrown it now! Just keep on letting your mind wonder a bit more as we arrive closer to the reveal of the unknown.

That's my take. That's what I feared every night as a child in ANY dark room. Opening Night is THIS FRIDAY at 6 PM!!!!! I hope you all are right and it's exciting as you all make it out to be.

I like what you wrote, but you should. Change the contrast so that everyone can read it!
  • Like 2

I have truly enjoyed reading everyone's posts the past month about BLACKOUT packed with your predictions and theories of what lurks inside those walls...waiting for you to face your deepest, darkest fears that lies well within your soul. What made you afraid of the dark when mommy and daddy kissed you goodnight, turned out the lights and closed your door to your room? You dreaded that moment every....single....NIGHT! You lay still, holding your breath, beads of sweat dripping from your forehead as you taste the saltiness of your tears seeping onto your lips and stinging your tongue, hoping that whatever it is, doesn't find you under the covers and whisks you away forever into another World. If you haven't outgrown it then...you haven't outgrown it now! Just keep on letting your mind wonder a bit more as we arrive closer to the reveal of the unknown.

That's my take. That's what I feared every night as a child in ANY dark room. Opening Night is THIS FRIDAY at 6 PM!!!!! I hope you all are right and it's exciting as you all make it out to be.

I like what you wrote, but you should. Change the contrast so that everyone can read it!

I Like that you Liked what I Like to write about...but it's in BLACKOUT INK.  It was a test to see who can see in the dark.  :D

• Like 2

The entire park can be.

Parks are much more dimly lit than they used to be.

And at Haunt, even more so. Plus fog.

The fog may be a different experience this year.  Each fog machine will be connected to a network.  The network goes to a PLC that determines how much fog should be put out based on atmospheric conditions and density of the air.  They are trying to prevent too much/little fog, as seen in years past.  Lots of smart people behind this stuff, let's up it works out the way they want it.

• Like 3

Since we are talking about scare levels, here are the ratings according to the Kings Island Mobile App:

Blackout: 1/5

Wolf Pack: 3/5

Cornstalkers: 4/5

Delta Delta Die: 1/5

Board To Death: 2/5

KillMart: 2/5

Urgent Scare: 4/5

Slaughter House: 5/5

Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror: 1/5

Tombstone Terror-Tory: 1/5

CarnEVIL: 4/5

I have to say in my opinion these are incredibly false, and I cannot be the only one that thinks that.

• Like 2