Dollar Days 2015?

Voicetek

Dollar days will be held from September 5-7 , I have no information as to what will be offered. Most likely the usual affair of pizza, drinks, cotton candy etc. IN SELECTED LOCATIONS. This is also running in conjunction with Bring-a-Friend days $19.99 per person up to 4 people per Gold/Platinum passholders.

• Like 1

I feel like this conversation happened last year...

I've been to KI Dollar Days the last two (maybe 3?) years and they've been great days. I've gone on both a Sunday and Monday. Crowds are like a normal Sunday, sometimes lighter. I've taken my sister and her kids and they love it as they can get as much as they want. It's also the only time they get ice cream at the park. (I have a strict no dairy rule while we are there.)

The longest lines are for the pizza, hot dogs and ice cream but in the past they move fast. I've seen many normal behind the scenes folks helping pass out food, especially with the hot dogs at Tower Drinks.

Tips - Bring cash as it will make things much easier since it's a flat dollar. Be patient and friendly with the people serving you as you may not know who is taking your money or serving your food. Say thank you!

I'm camping that weekend with family this year but may have to see if anyone wants to go.

• Like 3

^I can't imagine crowds at this year's Dollar Days not being bad.  I can't remember if KI has offered the "Bring a Friend" promo the other years, but all I know is that $1 food bring out just about everyone.  So, add the Bring a Friend promo to that, and I can't even imagine the type of crowds we'll see.  Not to mention the type of people $1 food brings to the park!  I've seen some interesting characters during this promotion.  I've seen people walking around with trays of pizza stacked 10 plates high!  I've seen people hoarding food like they haven't eaten in a year and won't eat again for another year.  It's sort of a sad display really.  Now, there are the people that enjoy this promo in moderation, and for that I'm thankful!  It at least tends to balance things out a bit.

If I didn't have a pass, there is no way on God's green Earth that I would subject myself to the type of madness we'll surely see this year.  However, since it doesn't really cost us anything to come in to the park, it's not too bad to come out for a few hours, ride a couple of rides, grab some pizza, and snag a couple bags of cotton candy to go.  That's how to successfully enjoy Dollar Days at the park, I think.

It will be interesting to see what kind of madness will be displayed this year.  I can only imagine!

Just updated on the website :

It has become a Labor Day tradition: Dollar Days at Kings Island. Guests visiting the park September 5-7 can enjoy hot dogs, pizza slices, blue ice cream, cotton candy, soft drinks and Sweet Spot Treats (chocolate dipped Oreos, pretzel rods, marshmallow lollipops) for only $1 each.

Select games are only $1 including Rope Ladder, Plate Breaker, Bowler Roller, Ring Toss and Short Range.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is where my report goes. If not please point me in the correct direction.

Today ( 9.6.2015 ) was busy busy busy. I posted a few times in the current wait times thread. I think we got lucky on Adventure Express when I posted it was a basic walk on, cause the other times the line was back to the starting of the platform, though it did move pretty fast. We ( btw girlfriend and I ) pretty much knew it was going to be busy when we pulled in and seen cars parked all the back to south gate. We went up withe intention of getting some night rides since I believe this is the last night of regular season that park stays open till 10pm unitl Haunt launches. We also thought that with the draw of the WEBN fireworks the park wouldn't be to bad. Boy were we wrong.  

It's always nice to see one of the queue lines being used for The Racer, IMO that is always a good indicator how the day is going to be go. The lines for the blue ice cream and pizza where long! Meaning about 45 mins. That was our wait in the Festhaus. Granted it was dollar pizza but we both agreed if the lines are that long again we probably won't be doing that.

What really shocked us was the line for even the flats, the queue lines where full and pretty well to the entrance of the line, if not spilling out. 

Blue blasters line was spilling out when we first got there, even as night came out the lines for the flats where still full.

Vortex was pretty well at the entrance. 

Even the lines for the cotton candy and pizza were still very very long and this was at a quarter till 10. So we pretty well called it a day, rode The Racer one last time and took off. 

All in all it was a good day, we pretty well just people watched, threw a dollar here and there for some the dollar games and enjoyed the lit up Coney Mall. Next year we probably won't be heading up on the Sunday before Labor Day. 

Side Note: I am still sorta new around the forums, and found it to be an extra very fun experience to be posting as I was in the park with my smartphone! :D

• Like 4

So my wife and I went to Dollar Days yesterday and it was one of the craziest we've ever been to.  We usually go on Saturday or Monday, but thought we'd try Sunday this year since I heard rumors of lower crowds due to the fireworks down in Cincy.  Well let me tell you, I think everyone in the tri-state area was there yesterday!  It was quite insane with all the people and the lines for food.  We were only there for a few hours and in that time we managed to get some pizza, get some ice cream and ride Racer and Boo Blasters.  That was it.  Now we pretty much expected not to do much, so it wasn't a big shocker.  We have passes, so we go out there for the deals.  We don't make Dollar Days a trip to do a ton of riding.  We can do that in the fall.

One thing I was thinking about yesterday is the fact that there were two different promotions running this weekend.  First, of course, was the Dollar Days, but it was also a Bring a Friend weekend also.  Now we all know the Bring a Friend days, by themselves, get crazy.  We all know Dollar Days by itself gets crazy.  Was it wise to do a double promotion weekend? I know KI is a business and by looking at the numbers yesterday that it sure was good for business, but when does it stop being good for business when it stops being good for guests? If park is boderline capacity and it's so crazy you can hardly do anything, should you start thinking about guest satisfaction instead?  I don't know.  Walking through the parking lot, I was surprised I also didn't see names of corporations flashing across the sign saying "Welcome so and so.."  lol.  I told my wife that since they were already doing double promotions, they might as well have invited some big corporations out to the park too to pack it out even more!

Another conclusion I came to while waiting in line for food yesterday was, is this all worth it?  Yeah it's fun to get cheaper food and snacks, but in the scheme of things, is it worth the additional savings to put yourself through all the chaos? But pizza is just $1, you say.  I'm still not so sure.  A whole pizza would cost you $8 if you bought 8 slices, you can go to a La Rosa's restaurant can get a whole large pizza for $12-13.  So is it worth driving all the way out to the park, walking through a hot parking lot, standing in line for 30-40 minutes just to save $3-4?  Now I'm not so sure lol.  We used to enjoy the experience in recent years, however, yesterday just seemed to annoy me.  Perhaps is cause I'm getting older, or maybe I'm just starting to see that the amount of money you save isn't really worth the trouble.

Do any of you absolutely love Dollar Days? Do any of you specifically avoid that weekend because of the chaos? What are your thoughts?

• Like 8

Have not done the dollar days at KI but Voicetek that's similar to my thoughts about the dollar lines at Great American Ball Park. To save a few dollars is not worth standing in line for 30-45 minutes. I came to the game to watch it not stand in line for food.

Similarly to my opinion on KI his year. I came to enjoy the park not the inside of the food line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And STILL people line up to buy meal plans that in effect remove the option to leave the park to eat.

Secured business in advance equals no drive to excel to earn business.

And before someone mentions season passes, I'm not a fan of those either. Back in the ride ticket days or even the no season pass days, fewer people in ride lines meant faster lines, more rides. And now with Jump The Quene For Pay systems, I'm convinced it cost most people less back then, too. And you could bring Granny who didn't ride...and not pay to do it. See Knoebel's Grove Amusement Resort.

• Like 1

While we were waiting in line for pizza we saw some girl cut in line to buy a drink refill. We were not happy since everyone was having to wait. Later as we were through the line, I heard a lady ask an employee if they had to wait in the "long pizza line" to get a drink refill. The employee told her that if she could find a place to cut in, it would be fine. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

• Like 4