Ghostrider going down Sept. 8th for refurbishment

Has GCI been confirmed as the group responsible for this project?  If so, I'm actually a lot less excited than I would have been if RMC had come in to simply add Topper Track.  GCI coming in - even if it means adding Millennium Flyer trains and major trackwork - is simply a patch.  Don't get me wrong; I'm happy that the coaster will be rideable again, but I'm really hoping that this fix will help the ride be awesome for more than a few years. 

RMC has done re-tracking jobs without their new track designs.  As for GCI, they have done several as well, including for Cedar Fair (Mean Streak is one I believe).  They haven't added Millennium Flyers to anything outside of their own coasters though.  Gravity Group would make sense because some of those guys were from GhostRider's original design team at CCI.  

Wooden coasters built by other coaster companies have required far less maintenance than those built by The Gravity Group and its predecessor CCI. There are reasons both of the large seasonal operators bought few coasters from either.

Cheaper to buy, more expensive in the long run.

See also Voyage, Timberliners, etc.

• Like 6

And it held up sooooo well.

Not.

When I rode it back in '04 it was fantastic. Do you think its deterioration is because of the CCI build quality, (materials and required upkeep), or the CCI ride design, (elements, banking, etc.) I still think CCI and Gravity group are the best rides out there when they are in great condition.

See, I thoroughly enjoyed I-305 at Kings Dominion.  Voyage is a little too brutal of a ride for me.  

Ghostrider was pretty rough when I rode it back in April.  My wife and I rode it one time on our visit to Knott`s and that was enough for us.  It definitely needed some rehab.  

And remember, wood coasters always require some tender loving care to keep them smooth and enjoyable.  Without that TLC, they start to ride rough and are less enjoyable.

• Like 1

Wooden coasters built by other coaster companies have required far less maintenance than those built by The Gravity Group and its predecessor CCI. There are reasons both of the large seasonal operators bought few coasters from either.

Cheaper to buy, more expensive in the long run.

See also Voyage, Timberliners, etc.

Hmm, now that is an interesting statement. What are your thoughts on Dinn Corp wooden coasters?

When properly maintained for both comfort AND safety, Dinn (and Summers, too) coasters can be some of the finest coasters in the land. Or a tragic mess--see Predator, Hercules...add cost cutting maintenance to that and what was once my favorite coaster (The Georgia Cyclone), can become among my least favorite.

Kings Island has done an excellent job on Beast. Cedar Point....has a Dinn coaster. So does Darien Lake. Dorney Park used to.

• Like 1

Yet another example.

I've had some of the best rides of my life on Phoenix. Other times, I've gotten off saying, "Is that all there is?"

And no one dotes on their wooden coasters more than Knoebels Grove Amusement Resort.

One reason for RMC's tremendous success is that maintenance is more easily performed, less extensive and more predictable.

A steel coaster is an investment. A wood coaster is more like a marriage.

See, particularly, Son of Beast. Or the Traver coasters.

• Like 1