2016 Gold and Platinum Passes on sale 08/20

WindingSon

I know this has to have been asked before, but I'll be the first this year. What's the process if you want to renew a Gold Pass into a Platinum Pass?

Last season, you were able to do this on visitkingsisland.com or at the park as a simple renewal (gold->platinum or platinum->gold). You would then need to get your pass replaced at the processing center so that it has the appropriate pass level printed on the front.

As I understand it, regular passes can't be renewed as gold or platinum. (They expire after Labor Day, and next year's gold or platinum pass would be considered a new pass.)

• Like 2

Platinum is currently $180 for renewed passes or $189 for new passes. For renewals, this is the same price as in the fall of 2014 and the fall of 2013.

These prices are certain to increase, perhaps substantially, after the fall sale ends. Dining plan prices will go up as well before the season begins.

Well that's the thing...I always wait until they do the renew now and pay later thing they do (assuming it's not bein done ATM) and that price raised quite a bit. Hence why I am considering not renewing the Platinum cause let's face it...I am not interested in the other parks. Ki and Knotts been the only CF parks I bothered with.
  • Like 1

It could be worse. Cedar Point's season pass is now $126...and that doesn't include perks that are included with the gold pass like ERT.

Do you think Kings Island will ever hit $126.00?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever? Ever is a very long time. Give inflation another ten to twenty years and, assuming that there is no change in ownership or season pass levels, I'm sure it eventually will.

Well, I mean, since 2013 all we've seen is the price go up.  Let's say the price goes up $5 every year.

2016 Season Pass:  $94.99

2017:  $99.99

2018:  $104.99

2019:  $109.99

2020:  $114.99

2021:  $119.99

2022:  $124.99

I'm sad. :(  That's only seven years from now.

$124 is a bit pricey, but overall still a steal of a deal...  For the price of 4 discounted visits (or the price of 2 full price visits) you get unlimited visits and parking for 124....But 124 would be the point where many families of 4 may not drop $500 for a family season pass...

• Like 1

$124 is a bit pricey, but overall still a steal of a deal...  For the price of 4 discounted visits (or the price of 2 full price visits) you get unlimited visits and parking for 124....But 124 would be the point where many families of 4 may not drop $500 for a family season pass...

You're comparing apples to oranges by thinking in terms of today's dollars. Add inflation in to that. As the pass prices go up, so too does the cost of everything else in life, and hopefully wages also. Seven years from now, $124 might be cheaper than $94 is today.

"Always in motion, the future is."

• Like 3

I know this has to have been asked before, but I'll be the first this year. What's the process if you want to renew a Gold Pass into a Platinum Pass?

Last season, you were able to do this on visitkingsisland.com or at the park as a simple renewal (gold->platinum or platinum->gold). You would then need to get your pass replaced at the processing center so that it has the appropriate pass level printed on the front.

As I understand it, regular passes can't be renewed as gold or platinum. (They expire after Labor Day, and next year's gold or platinum pass would be considered a new pass.)

So...if I upgrade from a KI Gold pass to a Platinum pass...do I get the free KI Fast Lane pass this fall?  I'm assuming so, but it's not really 100% clear since it's sorta like buying a new pass for everywhere rather than renewing what I've already got at KI.  

You're comparing apples to oranges by thinking in terms of today's dollars. Add inflation in to that. As the pass prices go up, so too does the cost of everything else in life, and hopefully wages also. Seven years from now, $124 might be cheaper than $94 is today.

Not really comparing anything, but speaking as a father and a husband.  $500 for anything is a steep price for a family.  Just making a comment, not really looking at it more than face value.  

But if you want to look at it, you are looking at a 30% raise in price over a 7 year time frame.  Its good for the park and it may push some people (good or bad) out of the park....

COMPARISON: A Zoo pass is around $100 for the family... I say this, and will most likely keep a pass for the family as the water park and dry side allows for many mini-trips for the family.

• Like 2

So...if I upgrade from a KI Gold pass to a Platinum pass...do I get the free KI Fast Lane pass this fall?  I'm assuming so, but it's not really 100% clear since it's sorta like buying a new pass for everywhere rather than renewing what I've already got at KI.

Renewal perks are offered for all pass renewals in the fall, including an upgrade from 2015 gold to 2016 platinum. 2015 regular (silver) passholders do not get renewal perks in the fall, but they can buy a new 2016 gold/platinum pass and get one free fall 2015 visit (and unlimited fall 2016 visits).

Just so it's abundantly clear, if you renew a 2015 gold pass as 2016 platinum, your platinum benefits (admission & parking at other Cedar Fair parks) don't start until 2016. Likewise, if you renew a 2015 platinum as 2016 gold, you can still visit other Cedar Fair parks until the end of this season.

• Like 3

Platinum is currently $180 for renewed passes or $189 for new passes. For renewals, this is the same price as in the fall of 2014 and the fall of 2013.

This will be my first time getting a Platinum Pass but if you are going from (current) Gold to Platinum ('16) will this be a renewal or a new pass?

Question about payment plans, as I've never used one before.

I don't like liabilities. If I can avoid it, I prefer to NOT owe people money. If I go for the payment plan, can the pass be paid off early, or must I pay it off according to the schedule? If I'm in a situation where I have the cash on hand to cover the expenses, I'd much rather do that than to have a liability that I don't have to have.

• Like 4

^ 2015 gold to 2016 platinum can be done as a renewal.

You would retain gold benefits (plus renewal perks) in 2015, and you would get platinum benefits in 2016.

I'll either call or renew on-site to be sure, but this would mean KI Gold passers upgrading to Platinum would get 1 free Fast Lane for 2015, AND 1 free visit to another Cedar Fair park in 2015?  

I will not likely make it to another park in 2015 other than Kings Island.  And I'm not by any means trying to milk the system.  But I do want my KI Fast Lane.  But...if a free trip to Cedar Point is in the offering, I might take that up as well.  :-)

• Like 1

^ You get either the new pass benefit or the renewal benefit, not both.

(i.e. If you buy a new platinum pass, you can use it for one free fall 2015 visit, but you don't get renewal perks. If you renew your gold pass as platinum for 2016, you get renewal perks, but you don't get a free visit.)

To add to electricsun's answer to homestar's question, payment plans can be managed at http://visitkingsisland.com/payments (substitute the appropriate Cedar Fair park's site if you didn't buy the pass at Kings Island)

• Like 3

Since Courtney has been pregnant all summer we did not get passes to Kings Island this year. I am going to order us passes for next season. I am debating on the meal plan, I looked at the list of all the places involved (which seems to be almost everything at least that I care about). What I am curious of is the actual meal options at the individual places, what exactly do you get? Maybe those with the meal plan can give me a run down of what some of the meals actually are at some of the individual places. 

Skyline- 2 coney and fries or 3-way and coney

Larosas- 2 slices and 2 bteadsticks

Snakepit (my favorite and not too much food)- philly cheese steak and chips

Reds grills- huge buffalo chicken salad, chicken tenders and chips, burger and chips, or buffalo chicken wrap and chips

Subway- 6" and chips

Soak City grill kiosk- sausage/hot dog and chips

There are many more but these are our go to!

The pizza in the park is all LaRosa's (ostensibly in name only, as it is nothing like LaRosa's pizza, and in my opinion, is all the better for it. Though it seems they use LaRosa's sauce recipe) except the location in Soak City. The pizza is definitely the same as other locations in the park, but does not bear the LaRosa's name.

What seems like a pretty complete list of dining plan meals is here: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/dining-plans

Click "What Meals Are Available When Using A Dining Plan?"

I guess I didn't realize the pizza place on International Street was not a LaRosa's anymore.

Good call on that. I read through most of those before posting i guess i just missed that one spot.

• Like 1

Having visited CP 3 times, Carowinds once, and KI multiple times this season, we feel the platinum pass was a good deal this year.  The ASDP was a nice addition.  With plans to visit KD, CP, and KI next year, for us it only makes sense to renew the platinum pass.  I guess it comes down to how much of a priority is it to take advantage of the priveledge given.  There is a growing interest in visiting Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, and DollyWood again.  Have yet to ride an RMC, looking forward to it.

Edit:  If you do like the pizza, I suggest trying the gluten free pizza at the Festhaus.  The crust is a little thinner but you get the entire pizza and no breadsticks.  We get the GF pizza on the meal plan and buy a salad to split, works well.

Is there any official word that the All Season Souvenir Cup is KI only or Cedar Fair wide?

First post here long time reader. I have a question for my friend. I convinced her to buy a 2015 gold pass at the beginning of the season. She hasn't had a chance to go yet (I'm her only ride there). By the time we finally go it will be Labor Day (we work together and never seem to get the same days off). I'm wondering since the 2016 passes are already on sale if guest services would be able to just process the pass as that instead because this technically would just be her one free 2015 visit anyways. What do you guys think? I know the website says no returns or refunds on passes (she doesn't want money back just to exchange it for 2016). Do you think its worth a shot to ask or will we just be embarrassing ourselves? Haha thanks!

• Like 1

Not really comparing anything, but speaking as a father and a husband.  $500 for anything is a steep price for a family.  Just making a comment, not really looking at it more than face value.  

But if you want to look at it, you are looking at a 30% raise in price over a 7 year time frame.  Its good for the park and it may push some people (good or bad) out of the park....

COMPARISON: A Zoo pass is around $100 for the family... I say this, and will most likely keep a pass for the family as the water park and dry side allows for many mini-trips for the family.

Obviously the equation varies for each family, but personally speaking, as a family of 4 (soon to be 5) and looking at potentially having season passes in 2022 for 5 people, at the $124 listed above would cost us $620 a season.  Who knows how things will change, my son will be 14 by then, our daughter 10 and the one due in December will be 7.  We are typically a mid-week, once a week in the evenings family.  During the haunt we'll go on Sunday afternoons a couple of times, probably make about 12-15 visits a season.  Pick somewhere in the middle, and that would be roughly $50 a visit for all 5, or $10 a person, which is roughly equivalent to a single movie ticket today.  In other words, its a steal of a deal if it remains on that track for my family.  Some get more use out of their season pass, some less, I have no idea where we fall on the spectrum of season pass users, but on a rough cost per person, the only entertainment we get better value on is the pool membership for the pool we can walk to.

• Like 4

Does anyone know how they are doing the fast lanes. We are wanting to renew our gold passes but I'm unsure of what Sunday we will want to use our fast passes. Are they sending wristbands and you just choose a day or do you have to select the day when you purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk