The lost 1992 Dinn woodie

WindingSon

It was a different time. Unless the park itself or someone from the park that was there at the time or has information comes forward, it is unlikely much will ever be known.

Quite frankly, I'd never heard much of anything about this until recently, and wasn't sure it was anything more than rumor/legend. I wish I had heard this back when Charlie was still with us. I hadn't.

Back then, trade secrets were much more closely held than they are now.

• Like 4

I may be way off track, but I recall that a remake of a classic rollercoaster that was similar to the Crystal Beach Cyclone was once planned for the area where Banshee's queue exists and l want to say the coaster had a plane theme. I might be wrong and that that coaster was replaced by SOB and is not the lost Dinn from 1992.

The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at King's Island in 1995.  The ride will be built in-house (like The Beast), and is believed to have rolling stock coming from the folks at PTC.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.roller-coaster/sRB_FxpQ_QQ/H3NPwuy1tlcJ

An interesting read from 1994...

• Like 1

For those of you who attended Coasterstock, Jeff Grampke spoke relatively extensively about this.  

It was supposed to go in the area of Swan Lake (now DB's splashdown).  It was going to be in some way similar to The Beast.  I'm guessing that means it would be more of a terrain coaster.  In the past I had heard that the signature thing it would have would be tunnels going into or out of the pond, but I'm not certain of that.  If any of you run into Jeff Gramke, ask him about it and see what he can tell you off hand.  One specific thing that I do recall is that he said that when Paramount bought the park they simply had no interest in the project and that's what killed it.

• Like 12

For those of you who attended Coasterstock, Jeff Grampke spoke relatively extensively about this.

It was supposed to go in the area of Swan Lake (now DB's splashdown). It was going to be in some way similar to The Beast. I'm guessing that means it would be more of a terrain coaster. In the past I had heard that the signature thing it would have would be tunnels going into or out of the pond, but I'm not certain of that. If any of you run into Jeff Gramke, ask him about it and see what he can tell you off hand. One specific thing that I do recall is that he said that when Paramount bought the park they simply had no interest in the project and that's what killed it.

And trains were ordered from PTC.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what layout they had planned if any.  The Swan Lake area wouldn't have supported that big a coaster on its own, let alone an extensive terrain coaster.  In 1992, it was pretty land locked surrounded by Antique Cars, Vortex, KCKC, and other major Rivertown paths and buildings.  Diamondback has sheer size that lets it do what it does and no KCKC to block it.  

• Like 1

I'm curious if these plans have resurfaced in other forms at other parks. I guess what I'm asking is: did any part of this lost project appear in another form at another park (like how the rumored Adams Family coaster became Mystery Mine)?

No, the plans were scrapped.

And both Paramount Parks and Dollywood deny that Mystery Mine was supposed to be Addams Family.

• Like 3