Do changes to a coaster/ride qualify it as new?

SonofBaconator

I've been thinking recently of all the coasters and other rides in the amusement park industry that have been changed from their original state and came up with a central question- does the changes a park makes to a current ride qualify it as new? For example, would you consider a coaster like Rougarou new because of the complete change in name, colors, and cars? Or what about The Bat? The list could go on. What's your opinion?

• Like 1

Tough question, and probably purely subjective. To me, Rougarou and The Bat aren't new coaster credits to me. However, if I had ridden Cyclone at SFNE before it became Wicked Cyclone, I'd count each as a new coaster credit if I had ridden both "versions" of the ride. However, when Son of Beast's loop was removed, I didn't count this as a new credit, but I did make a note in my personal coaster count that says I rode it both with and without the loop. I've never ridden a coaster that I've ridden in a former location yet (think someone who has ridden both X-Flight at Geagua Lake and Firehawk here), so I don't know if I'll classify the ride as "new" when I've ridden it at a new location. That's just my 2 cents on the issue.

• Like 4

Seemingly one of the most philosophical questions known to coaster enthusiasm.

For me, it depends on what the change is (case-by-case basis).

Something as simple as a name and/or color change, I think the vast majority of us would agree that it would not be a separate credit. (ie. The Bat, Bizarros, Batmen: The Ride)...

Now for something like Son of Beast's loop being replaced with a straight section of track, to me that's not a significant enough change for it to be considered a new credit. 

For something like Mantis changing to Rougarou, I would say that there is enough amount of change in the ride experience for it to be considered a new credit. Even though its the same track as it was before, I feel when a coaster literally changes the category it falls under (stand-up to floorless), that is a new credit...

• Like 9

I think it all depends on what changes were made.  I do not consider The Bat a new ride.  A change of name and color hardly change the experience of the ride itself.  However, changing the types of cars such as the case with Rougarou, could drastically change the ride experience so much so that it would feel like a new ride completely.  I did not consider Son of Beast a new ride with the removal of its loop though.  I would also Phantom Theater, Scooby Doo's Haunted Castle, and Boo Blasters to all be different rides since there was as complete change in theming.  Even though the ride system is pretty much the same, and it's within the same building, the experiences are completely different (as most would argue that "Phantom" was way better than Boo Blasters). 

So there really is no clear Yes or No answer.  It just depends on what kinds of changes and how that affects the experience from ride to ride.

• Like 5

If I were to count Gatekeeper as two credits, then one thing is for certain... I'd wish I could count X-Flight as two credits, too.

I wish I could love that ride... The layout is awesome. It has the best keyholes of any Wing Coaster I've ridden. It would be my favorite ride of its kind if it received the same modifications that Gatekeeper did.

• Like 3

At this point, I just kinda call them as I see them after experiencing them and deciding what fits best for me. It's entirely subjective, and I have no doubt that I'm probably inconsistent as all get out. Credits aren't really important to me; I basically only keep track of them out of curiosity and as a conversation piece (as some people I know ask for updates from time to time on how many coasters I've ridden.) I really don't feel like there's an objective means of setting criteria for when a ride is "new," except to set arbitrary guidelines.

I don't really consider Rougarou a new ride, but RMC redos are definitely new rides. Fortunately, I never rode the original Hades, so I don't need to worry about whether or not it counts as a new ride now that it has its corkscrew. Same goes for Son of Beast; I only rode it without the loop. I have ridden Intimidator 305 both pre- and post-reprofiling, but that change seems minor enough to me that I don't consider it an issue. Then again, I'm also that guy that considers Racer at Kennywood to be two credits, so what do I know?

• Like 3

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I track my count basically for my own information and so that I can rattle it off if someone asks. Most of the time, if someone is asking me how many coasters I've ridden, they don't really care whether I think Racer is one coaster or two (it's one, BTW, whether you're in Mason or in West Mifflin). They're just curious as to how many I've been on. And that usually opens up conversations about my favorite parks and rides, which I could go on and on about for ages. I also usually mention that there are some definite question marks in that count. Like the fact that many people count Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland as a coaster even though it does no coasting and yet very few will count a Pretzel haunted house despite their working much more like a normal coaster. Those conversations can be a lot of fun. Even if the people who don't count the Pretzel haunted houses as coasters are wrong :P

Plus, I definitely have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies, I couldn't imagine having collected things (or experiences as it were) and not knowing how many I had collected.

• Like 3

I agree with others that it really depends on the change. Seems to be general consensus that just a face lift with new paint/name/etc. like Flight Deck to The Bat don't really count.

I'd say that major changes like an RMC redo change the ride completely and therefor it is a new ride.

The main thing that seems to be up for debate is stuff like Rougarou. I haven't ridden it yet but I'd say it all comes down to how major of a change the ride experience is with a new type of train. I'm want to say that with it having the same layout makes it the same ride, but being positioned in a completely different manner could make it feel vastly different. If it went solely from a sit down train to a floorless I'd say definitely not but going from standing to sitting is a big difference. So, overall I'd say it comes down to just how much the ride experience has changed for whether a ride is new or not.

• Like 3

Ok I think I'm going to scratch my "change in ride experience" rule as that can bring up many loopholes...

Although a change as small as adjusting the vests on Gatekeeper or replacing the OTSR's on Flight of Fear with lap bars can make a significant change in the ride experience, at the end of the day, Gatekeeper is still a wing coaster, and Flight of Fear is still a LIM Launched indoor steel looping coaster...

For example, The Beast of 2015's ride experience IMO is much different from what it was 7-8 years ago due to a significant amount of work done that has made it smooth as glass in recent years. But this wouldn't be causation to count The Beast of today as a separate credit from The Beast of 2008, or even 1979 (4 bench trains, much less tunneled track).

Even though deciding what counts as a credit or not is still solely up to yourself, it is still always fun to imagine establishing a universal system, even though it would be very hard to.

What about the Chessington Vampire?

That's a good question.

I would say that although the floorless trains compared to the original trains is probably a significant change in the ride experience (I wouldn't know though; haven't ridden it), it's still technically classified as a suspended coaster, as the train is suspended and swinging from the track in pretty much the same way as it was before. (For it to be considered inverted, the trains would have to be directly attached to the track and not swing).

• Like 2

There are probably folks out there who count Flight of Fear and Flight of Fear as two credits, but Rougarou and Mantis as one. If that makes sense to you, then fine with me! (For the record, I see four credits in that group.) If someone said they'd ridden 76 roller coasters, I would think that was very cool. I wouldn't ask a lot of qualifying questions.

I do track my own, but I'm sure there would be those who would examine my list and say I'd ridden fewer coasters than I say. Another camp would probably count that I'd ridden more than I say.

• Like 2

I consider it a new coaster or credit if it goes through a major change. The Bat was just painted and re named but it remained the same ride. Rougarou got new trains as well as the name and color changes. I would consider that a new credit as it changes the actual experience. 

• Like 3