What new coasters are on tap for Cedar Fair parks?

“I want you to be impressed at our doorstep,” said Ouimet “When you get to the park and you see that coaster, you can’t help but think you’re in for a good day.”

This is exactly how I feel when walking into Carowinds.

“While several parks with beautiful promenade entrances like Canada’s Wonderland and Kings Island will never get gate coasters”.

KI already has a great entrance.

“The revitalization or rejuvenation of wooden coasters is probably a card that gets played for the next 10 years,” Ouimet said. “We are obviously looking at our whole portfolio just to decide what we do with it.”

Hopefully Racer gets some love.

• Like 3

“When you get to the park and you see that coaster, you can’t help but think you’re in for a good day.”

This is exactly how I feel entering Cedar Point too. Used to be the thrills were a bit further out in the distance, but at CP it's right up front, and as you're waiting outside the gates it builds a lot of anticipation and excitement. You're seeing the beauty of the coaster, hearing the sounds, and seeing the people having a blast. It makes for such a great atmosphere and a great start to the day.

Kings Island's entrance is beautiful as is. It has kind of a more relaxed feel to it. Like "home" I guess is the best way to put it.

• Like 4

I like how Ouimet is willing to show you just enough of the cards to keep you engaged.

He doesn't say exactly what's planned, but you know the plans are there. I'm not sure if his style is intentional or not, but it's very fun. 

• Like 8

“When you get to the park and you see that coaster, you can’t help but think you’re in for a good day.”

This is exactly how I feel entering Cedar Point too. Used to be the thrills were a bit further out in the distance, but at CP it's right up front, and as you're waiting outside the gates it builds a lot of anticipation and excitement. You're seeing the beauty of the coaster, hearing the sounds, and seeing the people having a blast. It makes for such a great atmosphere and a great start to the day.

Kings Island's entrance is beautiful as is. It has kind of a more relaxed feel to it. Like "home" I guess is the best way to put it.

Even then though, with KI you can see and hear Banshee roaring and screeching. Diamondback towers over the park ominously. The screams of Invertigo chill your bones. The excited children pointing at the T-Rex, their imaginations running wild.

Then you get through the entrance. The monstrous fountains hit your ears at the exact moment the peppy pop music does. You look up and there's the green metallic Eiffel Tower, looking as tall as ever. Then it hits you: you're here.

• Like 10

To be honest, IMO Invertigo is already Kings Island's front gate coaster as it is located right next to the ticket booths, and towers over the pre-entrance hub area. It just doesn't go overhead or to the other side like Fury 325 and Gatekeeper do. And to build such as coaster at Kings Island you would likely need to remove Invertigo, Congo Falls, Timberwolf Amphitheater, the front gate building, and possibly even the Kings Island Theater depending on the size of said ride. Since the entrance is fine as-is, it's just not worth it to remove so many things for 1 coaster.

Canada's Wonderland, at least from what I have seen via Google Maps street views of it, also has a very nice entrance already and thus I also don't see them or even Kings Dominion getting one of these front-gate coasters either. At those parks, Leviathan and Dominator- 2 large, fairly new to the parks and popular B&M rides- are in the way. So I don't see them getting one of these either.

• Like 3

^
Hmm. Didn't think about that...it is possible to move a park's entrance, that's true.

Then again, moving the gates for any of these 3 parks that have the fountain-style entrances means no fountains right at the new entrance, and just seems like a unneeded extra hassle. For Kings Island, I'm not sure where you could even put a new entrance and still have the park layout make sense, other than moving the front gate back or something...

Also nice pun. :P

• Like 4

I think the entrance is fine. I would like to see a large HD video board over top the entrance like they did with the new Carrowinds Entrance. and I'm not sure if they still have a restaurant above the entrance of not but I like to see them do something creative with that space. Maybe a Cedar Fair store where you can buy merchandise or other things for the other Ceder Fair parks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If I were in charge of KI, I would definitely work on updating the International Restaurant to modern standards (I believe one of the problems has been fixed with the addition of a GP elevator) and reopening it. I'd make sure the restaurant is accessible from the park (isn't the entrance actually outside of the turnstiles right now?).

• Like 1

I don't think we really need a new "gate coaster." It would be nice I guess, but I think Invertigo covers that well, as well as Banshee. If it was my choice to decide where to put the KI giga, I would probably put it at the end of Coney mall near WindSeeker or in X-Base (probably not the second choice because that area gets crowded enough as is.)

• Like 1

I never understood why coaster companies have exclusive contracts with a certain amusement park company. It just seems that you would want to work worldwide instead of exclusively in one corner of a continent. It just seems like you are cutting off a major revenue stream. With the window of profit for so many coaster companies is so short you would think they would strike while the iron is hot and seek their product to anyone that wants it. Exclusive contracts, at least with limited suppliers as in this case, make little sense to me.

• Like 2