Riders Needed Friday!

DonHelbig

While there was a Vortex shoot originally planned, they cut it due to time.

That makes me feel a little better about not being able to come....

If I ever participate in a Vortex photo shoot, I would be more than willing to ride it as many times as possible (maybe 18 times in a row ;) or even more!)!

• Like 2

It was a little hurtful to my ego to be one of /very/ few people who showed up for the daytime shoots that weren't part of a modeling agency (not to mention being twice the average age of the models). And being shuffled to the back sections of the trains as seat filler, not to be included in the shots. Even as my ego bruised, though, I could hardly complain: I got to be at the park all day, riding coasters, and I loved it!

But, it was interesting to see the difference between that and the nighttime shoot, which was entirely populated by people like me who were excited about riding the coasters more than about having their pictures taken.

After seven rides in a row on Banshee* in the morning, in my favorite seat no less, I was pumped for the rest of the day. I overheard a couple models in the restroom afterward complaining about how much it made them want to throw up, and it made me a little afraid to stick around for the afternoon shoot, after we all had eaten lunch. Fortunately that didn't become a problem, possibly because of the length of time it took to mount the cameras on Beast, and that it probably is easier on the stomach with no inversions and lower speed.

It was so different at night, when almost no one left the trains between rides, cheered enthusiastically each ride, and groaned with dismay when it was time to stop. I certainly know who my people are :) We may not be as photogenic, but boy do we know how to have fun!

Once again I thank Don for extending this opportunity to us! :)

*which broke my previous record of six rides on Banshee in an hour, which I set during normal operations one day last year. Since she's my favorite purple-people-eater my only real limitation was the length of the ride and the walk around, so I probably could have fit in a couple more rides in that hour. But, that day I started greying out pretty badly on the last turn the last couple times around, and I became worried for the ride crew if they found an unconscious woman in the restraints, so I stopped. Fortunately I wasn't greying out at all during the shoot.

• Like 11

I chuckled when reading the waivers, figuring that no one there for the night photos were from a modeling agency. I guess I didn't realize that models signed up for that sort of thing, but now I know. I really appreciated the ride ops after close who were just as enthusiastic as they were at 5pm. I really just can't brag on them enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 4 months later...