Nickelodeon Celebration Parade

GrandPoobah

I was looking forward to catching the first performance of the NCP today. I got off work around 4, went out to my car and changed clothes. After I got back in the park, I first went and got a quick ride on a newly reopened TRTR. The ride program is completely different, there are 5 topspins.....jk. It's still same old TRTR.

I headed toward the beginning of the parade route to stake out a spot. I found a seat on a curb across from Ghoster Coaster and sat down. When I got there (4:45) there were lots and lots of people already lining the parade route. With 5 minutes to go, an annoucement played with Spongebob telling us to hurry and grab a spot: "I'm ready!" The parade soundtrack started a few minutes before 5, first with a welcome from Spongebob and Gary, then the catchy theme song we've all heard and loved. Thanks to all the extra speakers they've installed along the route, the soundtrack is fairly loud. The rest of the soundtrack consisted of snippets of pop music that kids would love. Being a fan of Disney parade soundtracks, I was underwhelmed by the NCP soundtrack wink.gif

5 minutes passed, and I was getting anxious, having seen no floats. I finally came to a sickening revelation: the parade must have started at FoF today! Since I wasn't in the mood to wait 20 minutes for the parade to show up, I took off through HB and into IS. I arrived at the Eiffel Tower just as the parade was stopping there.

There were throngs of people crowding the route, but I was still able to see most of the action from the back of the pack. First of all, the floats are very very nice. They're bright and eye-catching. Various characters were in the parade: Angelica, Suzie, and Spongebob were on floats, while Patrick and one of the Fairly Oddparents walked along side. Also in the parade were a number of brightly dressed actors, who were doing a great job exciting and entertaining the crowd. Some of the actors carried drums which they played along with the music. I was also surprised to see a number of large puppets (a la Epcot's Tapestry parades) representing animals - elephants, lizards and the like. Some of the puppets even squirted water on the unsuspecting parade watchers!

As the parade moved into each area, it stopped and the actors and characters danced to the music. Little kids were perched on their parents' shoulders, waving at the characters, as the parents furiously snapped pictures. At one point, an actor went and pulled a man and three kids out of the crowd. The man was placed on a pedestal and given a bib to tie around his neck, and the kids were given a cream pie. With the actors egging on the cheering crowd, the kids pied the man in the face! He was a good sport about it though.

Overall I was very impressed by NCP. I would rate it as one of the coolest things I've ever seen at PKI. I think it will be very well received by kids (and parents) this summer. Hopefully PKI will be encouraged to produce more parades in future seasons!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see that you really enjoyed the parade, there is a LOT of hard work put into it and it definatly shows.

finally came to a sickening revelation: the parade must have started at FoF today!

Just so everyone is aware the parade starts at FOF EVERYDAY!!! It does not switch the route every other day. The floats are moved back from the end to the beginning every night after the park closes. This is just one of the many extra things that goes into making this parade a great guest experience.

I too hope that Paramount likes the final product and I can say that I definatly think you will see this become a traditional thing for the park.

I was at the park today, but missed the parade. It got pretty crowded in the early afternoon, but did seem less filled after 5:00.

Track Record for 7/28/04:

Delirium: 3

Tomb Raider: 1

Flight of Fear: 2

The Beast: 3

Recar: 7

Racer: 0

Top Gun: 1

Vortex: 1

AE: 2

Son of Beast: 0 (Hey, I've got four stitches in my back; I can't do everything.)

With the parade and all the "Hollywoodizing" going on in the park, I caught myself thinking, "Wow, this reminds me of Disney." The question: is that a good thing? Yes, yes it is.

• 3 weeks later...

"At one point, an actor went and pulled a man and three kids out of the crowd."

The 'actor' I belive is the guy "Jeff" that tunedinisthebest was obsessed with...I saw him in the show she talked about and he fits her description, hehe so I guess that is him

I like figuring out things. smile.gif