The Land of Oz

A few years ago, I discovered online a little place called The Land of Oz. It was open from 1970-1980 at the top of Beech Mountain in North Carolina. It can now be rented for events and private tours year round. They also hold an annual event call Autumn at Oz. 

After three years of talking about it and the timing never being quite right, my best friend and I are attending the Autumn at Oz event this year with two of her friends. We might be a bit too excited to walk down the yellow brick road. 

Has anyone here been The Land of Oz when it was open in the 70's or attended an event there? I'd love to hear more stories about this place. 

• Like 7

I have personally never been to the Land of Oz (although I was in Beech Mountain a few weeks ago), but my mom went when she was a kid.  I don't think she really remembers much about it, so all I've really heard is that there were people dressed up as characters from the book and movie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were so excited to go on Sunday. Unfortunately, the event has been cancelled because of the weather (concern of flooding, high winds and risk of landslides) from Hurrican Joaquin. 

Here are some stories with pictures to tide me over...and maybe encourage other folks to visit this curious place. 
http://dcist.com/2015/07/abandoned_states_the_not-so_abandon.php#photo-1

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/16/440770660/to-follow-the-yellow-brick-road-youll-have-to-go-to-north-carolina

Electricsun...who is waiting for time where skies are blue. 

• Like 2