RMC Beast

SonODiamondback

Whoops that should have said WITHOUT headrests and seat dividers. The high seat dividers KI has are even worse. The head rests cut the view and prevent people from putting their arm around their sweetheart.

I think you've said in the past that the headrests are more to keep people who stand up in the train than to prevent whiplash.

• Like 3

If they ever decided to RMC The Beast, you would probably face a huge public outcry on your hands by the locals of Cincinnati. To most in our area, The Beast is like a right of passage that has been passed down from generation to generation, and lets hope it keeps that way.

RMC Conversion Checklist

Is The Beast very rough, shuffling, or just plain out a horrible coaster?

No.(Though to a vocal minority, yes)

Is it more expensive to maintain than the ridership or popularity the ride recieves?

No.

Are there parts of the ride that need Topper Track?

Some could make the argument for that but in my opinion, no.

Would there be Public Outcry over the "new for 2016, IRON BEAST" announcement to the point that the ride would be saved (Sort of how The Whizzer was to be replaced with S:UF but they decided on Shockwave due to the immense outcry over removing it, even though I think they had different reasons for removing Shockwave.....)

Definitely yes.

Would the ride require massive renovations that are too expensive to be a spectacular ride?

It already is a great ride and it probably would cost less than 5 million dollars for The Beast to be "running like it was in the 1980s."(I think it is fine just the way it is)

The Beast fails the checklist with flying colors. :)

I hope to never see the day it will be torn down, but there is nothing I can do about that.

• Like 12

I know this might not be popular with a lot of people. But would it be a bad thing to RMC the high stress areas of The Beast I read on RMC site that they can use their topper track on high stress areas on a wooden along with the wooden track. I think if done right it would decrease the need for the braking areas along the track and really let The Beast shine. The only section I see that Realy needs the braking is coming down the 2nd hill into the helix.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5 things

1) no

2)No

3)NO

4)HELL NO!

5)According to Jeff Gramke, The Beast was let loose once. Only once, and even in the inebriated state of those who took this ride; realized it was a mistake.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 12

For one they didn't know if it could complete a circuit. No computer simulations in those days. They did calculus by hand, and prayed they got it right. Even if it were right there were enough possible variances to where it very possibly would not complete the circuit.

• Like 5

I've never heard whether Curt Summers used CAD (available, but at the time an out-sourced service provided by specialized companies before the advent of more advanced PCs). Legend has it that every nuance of that venerable coaster was good, old-fashioned American engineering and know-how. Put a canal in Panama, and 12 men on the moon, it did!  B)

• Like 7

That's the thing many of us don't think about. The Beast was a major undertaking and it seem like they just had to wing it at times in designing it. Something a lot of younger riders don't understand. With bigger annd faster coasters being built I think it's lost a lot of its wow factor with younger riders. I could be way off but that's just my opinion. The Beast is an icon not just in KI but in the world. All things change over time. Look at Wrigley Field in Chicago. I like The Beast to last another 40 years. Change doesn't have to happen right now. But someday all us old guys won't be around to ride it. And it takes up a huge 35 acres of land. So I can see KI one day taking it out to expand. I know it sounds crazy right now but just look to the future is all I'm saying

If CF took out The Beast and put in an Iron Beast 335 KI wouldn't miss a beat with the younger crowd. Sure us older guys would go nuts over the thought of it but we are not the ones the are going to carry KI in the future. Just look how many thought it was crazy to move Old Coney to where KI is now. They said it never would work who would want to drive all the way out there. Change happens we either go with it or get left behind.

• Like 1

That's the thing many of us don't think about. The Beast was a major undertaking and it seem like they just had to wing it at times in designing it. Something a lot of younger riders don't understand. With bigger annd faster coasters being built I think it's lost a lot of its wow factor with younger riders. I could be way off but that's just my opinion. The Beast is an icon not just in KI but in the world. All things change over time. Look at Wrigley Field in Chicago. I like The Beast to last another 40 years. Change doesn't have to happen right now. But someday all us old guys won't be around to ride it. And it takes up a huge 35 acres of land. So I can see KI one day taking it out to expand. I know it sounds crazy right now but just look to the future is all I'm saying

And this is why many of us are mentioning the history behind how Beast was made back in 78-79.  Because you young greenhorns don't understand the history behind it. ;)

KI has an incredible amount of room to expand without getting near Beast, so land is not an issue.

Change for the sake of change is not always good, but we all know nothing lasts forever; because you did change your stance from Beast getting a makeover to being removed.  Both are huge undertakings & are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

• Like 6

No I'm not saying it should be remove I'm saying it could one day be removed and I never want to see that day. Personally I love it the way it but when I have gone to KI this year I seen 90 min waits at Banshee, Diamondback, Firehawk,and Flight of Fear. And 25 mins tops at Beast. That's not going to get any better if the add bigger and better Coasters.

• Like 1

Respectfully not buying it. See Kennywood where the new and old happily coexist.

• Like 3

Well from personal experience, I have ridden with and seen younger kiddos get off The Beast and are shaken up from the ride.

Also, I must totally be going on the wrong days... My shortest wait for Beast has been about 60 mins....

Not to mention the obligatory wait times does not equal popularity. If there is a 25 minute wait for Beast that means that the train is still leaving full. So people don't stand in line but its not an empty train....

Plus don't forget night rides are always a good 90 mins+ wait....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

No I'm saying it should be remove I'm saying it could one day be removed and I never want to see that day. Personally I love it the way it but when I have gone to KI this year I seen 90 min waits at Banshee, Diamondback, Firehawk,and Flight of Fear. And 25 mins tops at Beast. That's not going to get any better if the add bigger and better Coasters.

You have now alluded 4 different changes and questioned the design from 1978:

- change to the track for stress reasons

- removal for land expansion,

- removal for popularity

- removal for bigger and better coasters.

You sure you don't want to see the demise of Beast?

Info links added:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/online-fun/The-story-behind-The-Beast

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20073739,00.html

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/screeeeeeam/

• Like 7

In no way shape or form do I want to see the demise of The Beast. Everything I said are things I could see happening in the future not things I wanted. The RMC thing is just something I thought they could look into. The first time I rode The Beast I was scared as Hell. From the Marketing the insane rumors even the logo scared me. In fact I rode it the first time with my eyes closed cause I was so scared. I maybe way off on this but I think more people ride because it's a legend then fear factor. I maybe waaaay off on this. And it wouldn't be the first time for that. Maybe Diamondback is this generations Beast that scares the hell out of you. Maybe I'll just have to accept the fact that although still awesome it's just not the wonder it was when I first rode it

• Like 1

^^Just because you felt that way doesn't mean everyone else does.  Everyone is different, and I think The Beast is fine at being a quality coaster a lot of people can enjoy.  I know and have seen people excited to ride Beast for the first time, I've seen it scare some people (including yours truly back in my early visits to KI), I've seen people start off scared and found it amazing, and I've seen people unimpressed by it, either by its rough edges or the way its drawn out in spots.  You can't go off your own perception as being the perception of every person.  

BTW, its just been re-tracked over the last 5-7 years (I think it was either GCI or done in-house) and most here would agree its running the best its ever had since that work has been done. 

• Like 9

If we were to suggest anything for The Beast I would suggest the old school skid breaks, at night, following a slightly rainy evening, in late September when it's foggy.... If you experienced that then you know what I'm taking about it.

Didn't realize it was completely retracked... Explains the smoother experience the last few years...

As for how perceptions change, that is life sadly. When I was 12 The Beast was the most untamable ride I could imagine. I never thought I would grow to appreciate it/want to ride it vs riding it to overcome w fear.... Familiarity breeds something or another....

Diamondback is not this generations anything. It's a big steel coaster and to some it's not much different than Banshee except it doesn't go upside down and your feet don't dangle.

The Beast will always be special because it's one of the few coasters in the country that can divide a child hood (not tall enough and tall enough). The Beast is unique, from the double helix and second lift hill to the way it used the terrain and glides between and sometimes right next to the trees. Coasters are not built that way anymore.

Look at Banshee or Diamondback. The trees were clear cut for what looks like a quarter mile in each direction around the track. The Beast has trees right up to it and maybe I saw a picture of a tree through the structure during construction?

• Like 5

I want to know when and why the changes to The Beast happened during its construction....

What I'm interested is why it appears in a model version the car enters the helix clock wise, the second lift hill crosses the track, and following the first drop the train goes a bit before turning

Most of what I was thinking has pretty much already been said- Beast is fine as-is, as doesn't really need RMC to do anything to it. Yes you could in theory reduce the brake speed with topper track, but that would also include the need to re-bank a few of the turns (the lateral forces could potentially become too high for guests to enjoy), and that would make that a expensive revamp as that means rebuilding a few of the turns completely. Simply re-tracking the ride works wonders, as I experienced firsthand last season (haven't made it to KI this year...yet).

Also, I was looking around on rec.roller-coaster, a VERY old forum thing that was around in the 1990's, and found some people talking about Beast BEFORE the skid-to-fin brakes change of 2002. What were they saying about this ride BEFORE the braking change, when in theory it was still running at 1979 speeds?

"It's braked too much"
"THERE IS NO AIRTIME!"
"It's too rough"

Aka- the same stuff people criticize Beast for today. I'd even bet some of those complaints were being thrown out in the 80's, when the ride was brand-new and supposedly at its very best. So it seems not much has changed for Beast as far as its reviews have gone. (Granted all the safety stuff and the fact you could get better rides when wet before 2002 have probably given the ride a slight hit in quality...)

• Like 7

No I'm saying it should be remove I'm saying it could one day be removed and I never want to see that day. Personally I love it the way it but when I have gone to KI this year I seen 90 min waits at Banshee, Diamondback, Firehawk,and Flight of Fear. And 25 mins tops at Beast. That's not going to get any better if the add bigger and better Coasters.

You have now alluded 4 different changes and questioned the design from 1978:

- change to the track for stress reasons

- removal for land expansion,

- removal for popularity

- removal for bigger and better coasters.

You sure you don't want to see the demise of Beast?

Info links added:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/online-fun/The-story-behind-The-Beast

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20073739,00.html

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/features/screeeeeeam/

I just want to see its northern neighbor take a hike, because it hurts. Hehe

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 3