Apex Parks Group adds Indiana Beach to their portfolio

• 1 month later...

Indiana Beach opens Rocky's Toy box this weekend, and the train station is a memorial to Apex former CEO Al Weber.

Join Us for the OPENING of...
Rocky's Toy Box
Saturday, July 6th at 11am

Season Pass Holders, Don’t miss your SNEAK PEEK at 10:30am!

Rocky’s Toy Box includes the NEW Toy Box Train Station, home of the Indiana Beach Rail Road. Guests will now delight over the IBRR Pavilion featuring the soon-to-be favorite, Pete the Talking Train, an interactive, fun story-telling show.

Kiddieland classics have also received a colorful refresh along with quirky, fun toy-box themes and don’t miss your chance to meet Rocky...our new costumed character and denizen of the new area.

Relax as you journey throughout the park aboard TES (aka “Thomas E. Spackman”) Express. You never know. Rocky might join you!

As a special nod to the beloved, late Apex Parks Group CEO, Al Weber, who shared the “Beach” dream along with generations of IB fans, we present the new Al Weber Jr. Memorial Train Station.

Tickets can be purchased online at
http://www.indianabeach.com/tickets, with lodging and camping just a click away, too at http://www.indianabeach.com/lodging.

https://m.facebook.com/337613147198/posts/10156997673347199/?notif_id=1561843982789088&notif_t=page_highlights&ref=notif

On 6/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Indiana Beach opens Rocky's Toy box this weekend, and the train station is a memorial to Apex former CEO Al Weber.

Join Us for the OPENING of...
Rocky's Toy Box
Saturday, July 6th at 11am

Season Pass Holders, Don’t miss your SNEAK PEEK at 10:30am!

Rocky’s Toy Box includes the NEW Toy Box Train Station, home of the Indiana Beach Rail Road. Guests will now delight over the IBRR Pavilion featuring the soon-to-be favorite, Pete the Talking Train, an interactive, fun story-telling show.

Kiddieland classics have also received a colorful refresh along with quirky, fun toy-box themes and don’t miss your chance to meet Rocky...our new costumed character and denizen of the new area.

Relax as you journey throughout the park aboard TES (aka “Thomas E. Spackman”) Express. You never know. Rocky might join you!

As a special nod to the beloved, late Apex Parks Group CEO, Al Weber, who shared the “Beach” dream along with generations of IB fans, we present the new Al Weber Jr. Memorial Train Station.

Tickets can be purchased online at
http://www.indianabeach.com/tickets, with lodging and camping just a click away, too at http://www.indianabeach.com/lodging.

https://m.facebook.com/337613147198/posts/10156997673347199/?notif_id=1561843982789088&notif_t=page_highlights&ref=notif

Al Weber was a great man.  Glad they're doing this.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Rumors from IB fan pages are not looking good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274071829612644/permalink/1074335469586272/

Rumors abound about the status of the park.

Indiana Beach and Fantasy Island are currently not listed on Apex's website.  There are a few "stories" going around that both parks and rides are for sale.  News & Review is reporting that maintenance staff at the park have been told to remove their tools and leave the park.  

We will wait and see what happens!

Holy crud- this was the first amusement park I had ever been to back in 1999. I had not been back since, but I was hoping to get back there soon to re-ride some old rides as well as the new ones they have added in the last 20 years.

This news sucks: Hoosier Hurricane, my first true roller coaster I ever rode, is probably going to be demolished as relocation for a wooden coaster would be very rare in this day and age. Cornball Express is probably also gonna go, and I have read nothing but good reviews for that ride, and while reviews were mixed Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain seems like a ride that can't be moved easily. Tig'rr is also unlikely to find a new home due to its age, which also means a classic Schwarkopf may also bite the dust. The only major coaster I think that has a chance of finding a new home is the S&S El Loco, Steel Hawg, as it is fairly new having been opened in 2008. I don't know about the flat rides, some of those will probably find new homes I would imagine.

TBH this is even worse than Vortex IMO. At least with Vortex's closure, the entire park around it isn't going and you know Kings Island will eventually replace it with something. Indiana Beach is likely going to be replaced by Condos or something. :(

• Like 1

Sadly, I don't think there is any hope of saving the Woodies. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain is weird and unreliable. The other two share a support structure in multiple places and would almost have to be relocated together.

Steel Hawg will find a home. It's modern, compact, and still highly marketable at a smaller park. Until Thunderbird opened, it was the only inverting coaster in the state. Tig'rr scares me though. I don't want to lose another Schwarzkopf, but I just don't imagine who's going to spend the money on a nearly 50 year old Jet Star.

Local media here in Indy report that the rides are being moved to their other remaining parks.  The stories also indicated that park was somewhat profitable, but not enough to continue putting the nec $ into maintenance or capex.

Perhaps this step announcing closure will bring a buyer forward. I'm semi-local, and most folks around are really shocked to hear this news that they had not seen coming. Even if they hadn't visited in ages, still shocked. Indiana Beach has been a staple forever. One of those staples that many locals probably took for granted.

Holiday World is not owned by Apex, which owned Indiana Beach and Martin`s Fantasy Land.  Holiday World is owned by the Koch family (Lori, Leah, Lauren, and Will).  There was a bitter family feud several years back between Lori (wife of Will who died unexpectedly) and his brother Dan.  Dan and his mom, Pat, now own and operate Alabama Adventures.

Its ashame.  Indiana Beach was on my list of parks to visit.

Indiana Beach is one of the more enjoyable parks I've been to out of many. I've been there 3 times and it was always really fun and enjoyable. It has a totally unique feel and is very memorable.

The greatest attribute of the park was the location. It was always cooler than other parks because of the wind off of the lake. The criss-crossing rides and shops packed underneath rides made for a very unique experience. Wild Hawg is a good coaster. Hoosier Hurricane is very good, and Cornball Express (the one time I was there when it was running) was great. This was the last place I could play Fascination. The loss of those tables is a tragedy in and of itself.

Dr. Frankenstein's Castle was, next to Noah's Ark, the best walk through attraction in the country.

I really hope someone steps up to buy it, but I know that the chances are not great.

• Like 2

I'm really saddened by the closure.  My wife and I went on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend in 2018 and had a great time. 

Indiana Beach was really an engineering marvel in that they packed so much into such a small amount of space.  While Cornball Express seems to get more love from people, I actually preferred Hoosier Hurricane because of how it went long and gave a scenic view of the lake.  Their swings out by the lake was probably the best set of swings I've ever ridden as well.

While I hope someone steps in to buy the park it is probably doubtful, it is kind of in the middle of nowhere and not close enough to a major metro area nor it is a big enough of a park to get the interest of any of the major operators.  I do hope Cedar Fair steps in to buy some of the flats.  Both the Tilt a Whirl and Music Express would be great additions to KI.  The Giant Gondola Wheel and Paratrooper would also be welcome additions.  Steel Hawg would also be a good addition to a park like Michigan's Adventure.  I hope someone buys Tigg'rr as well.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

Local media here in Indy report that the rides are being moved to their other remaining parks.  The stories also indicated that park was somewhat profitable, but not enough to continue putting the nec $ into maintenance or capex.

Here is the updated story from the Indy Star: https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2020/02/18/indiana-beach-amusement-park-closing-rides-being-dismantled-after-nearly-100-years/4799522002/

It doesn't make much sense that the rides are moving to other Apex-owned parks, given that they were listed for sale in Amusement Today. Also, I'm not sure how most of the rides would fit into Apex's surviving lineup of parks, which are waterparks and family entertainment centers rather than traditional amusement parks.

Apex-owned Fantasy Island near Niagara Falls had similar news today: https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county/grand-island/multiple-reports-say-fantasy-island-rides-are-being-sold/

• Like 1

Indiana Beach released a statement, and the website has been updated with a permanently closed banner.

“Despite significant effort and a great deal of investment in infrastructure and rides, we have not seen an improvement in operating results. As such, we made the difficult decision to cease operations. This was not a decision entered into lightly. Team members are being assisted by their supervisors and the company is working to minimize impact to those affected. Guests may visit www.indianabeach.com for answers to commonly asked questions.”

Best Regards,

Indiana Beach Amusement & Water Park Resort

ibscreenshot.jpg

The questions link on the website links to this feedback form: https://form.jotform.com/200406479085153

I've been fortunate to have been to both parks. 

I attended many years ago when they were under the original, and/or previous ownership.  Indiana Beach was still owned by the Spackmans (Tom Spackman was a very nice man.)  When I went to Fantasy Island it was called MARTINS Fantasy Island and owned by Martin DiPietro. (I think I went twice.)

Martin's was a quaint park with a decent CCI woodie.  I remember Silver Comet being a fun ride, but nothing to write home about.  It wasnt, IMO, and all-day park.  Rather something you did as a stop on the way to Niagara Falls.

Indiana Beach was the better of the two - and Cornball Express was a real gem.  However I'll always remember IB the most for having the weirdest "coaster" I've ever ridden - "Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain."  I went to the park a couple times - and was struck at how much it literally seemed like an old-school sea-side amusement park. 

I'm sad to see them go, but don't feel a personal loss because it has literally been 18 years since I went to either.  I had actually told myself this past summer "I need to get back to Indiana Beach"... but I'll just have to live with my memories.

Here's a few pics of my last visit to Indiana Beach in August 2002.

IB SOI.png

IB 2 SOI.jpg

IB 3 SOI.jpg

IB 4 SOI.jpg

IB 5 SOI.jpg

• Like 3