Things to expect in the future

SonofBaconator

Before you all get out your torches and pitchforks saying there's other threads like this let me get my say in. I'm studying to be a business marketing major so I'm approaching this topic from a business and demographic perspective. Speculation has been our drive to discover what's around the corner in Kings Island's future. However, there have been some speculations of future plans that seem almost inevitable to be true-water park expansions, ride additions, ride changes, etc. We look at other parks and compare it to our own, and vise versa, to predict the future. One of the best examples I can give is the speculation for a giga to come to KI in the near years. Hyper coasters are fun and intense but having a giga just adds that level of excitement to a park. Popular Cedar Fair parks like Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, and Kings Island are constantly coming up with new thrills to please their guests. So far, four out of the five parks I have mentioned all  have gigas so the presence of a giga at KI is inevitable.

Further more, Cedar Fair looks at its guests input to see what's best for the park. No, they're not going to RMC Mean Streak because you say please. What I mean is they look at the trend of certain rides, if the trend is bad, and see what they could do to fix it. Look at stand up coasters, over the years their popularity has decreased exponentially and its not getting better. Cedar Fair has been approaching this matter slowly but surely by either getting rid of or modifying some of their stand up coasters. So what I'm trying to say is that stand up coasters will most likely retire from the Cedar Fair coaster roster.  

So here's my analytical prediction of what's to come based on current knowledge- not what KI lovers want but what KI lovers need

1. Giga addition before the 2020s hit so KI will be up to date with it's more popular sister parks
  2. I don't see a wooden coaster coming anytime soon because The Beast is so popular that nothing else would be able to live up to its reputation. Son of Beast was different because it paid tribute to The Beast and the two rides complemented each other because of the similarities in theme.
  3. Expansions in places that have poor attendance. I'm mainly referring to X Base because its probably one of the least visited sections of the park. There only reason people go to X Base is for Flight of Fear and Firehawk which have atrocious lines. Normally when there's large rides in an area, there's also restaurants, restrooms, games, smaller rides, etc. Each section of the park has its own identity except for X-Base which more or less piggybacks off of Coney Mall 

I'll probably think of some more as time goes on. What do you guys think? Please feel free to voice your opinion on whether what I've said is accurate or bubkis.

• Like 6

1. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Giga coaster at Kings Island, since that seems to be the way things are trending for the larger Cedar Fair parks (not sure about the "more popular" sister parks comment either...)

2. I agree that I'm not expecting a new wooden coaster in the near future, but I disagree with your reasoning. I think a modern wooden coaster would be a great fit for the park. A quick, compact, twisty, airtime machine would be a great addition to the coaster lineup. It may not live up to the legendary reputation of The Beast, but neither have, in my opinion, any of the coasters since. Sure, The Beast may not be everyone's favorite, and additions such as Banshee and Diamondback are fantastic rides, but they still don't have the legendary reputation that The Beast enjoys.

Also Son of Beast's theme was about as similar to The Beast's as Invertigo is to The Bat. Other than the name and being wooden, Son of Beast had very little about it that would remind people of The Beast (tunnels, terrain, woods, etc.)

3. We can all continue to dream for that X-Base bathroom.

• Like 10

You say people only go to X-Base to ride FoF & Firehawk, is there anything else to do back there?  My son isn't quite up to 54", hopefully by the time we make our next visit in the fall, so I haven't been back there for either ride in several years, but I don't recall anything else.  X-Base is considered part of Coney, which sees lots of visitors and has all the amenities (though a bathroom, which would sit nicely situated in the middle of Coney would be a nice addition)

I agree, a Giga seems inevitable, I'd place my bet on 2017 for that addition.

How many wooden coasters has Cedar Fair built in the last 10 years?  Gold Striker (2013?), Prowler (08) & Renegade (07) are the 3 I could find at CF parks in the last 10 years.  All 3 are GCI coasters, all 3 are at one of their smaller parks, all 3 were planed (I assume) prior to the current leadership (Perhaps current management had a hand in Gold Striker, I'm assuming plans were set down prior to Matt Oiumet taking over).  That trend doesn't scream to KI, CP, CW, etc.. getting a modern woodie in the near future.  I haven't ridden Gold Striker or Prowler, but was up at Valley Fair this summer and rode Renegade.  I didn't do much research on the park b/c after thinking about attending, we decided on different plans until we found out at the last minute that my wife's cousin was going to be there one of the 2 days we had already planned to be in Minny.  I got on with my son, not expecting a ton (you don't see much of the layout from the que line) and was completely blown away.  The first drop is awesome, the ride itself doesn't let up until the end.  My son and I both loved it, with we had ridden it earlier in the day and could get back on, but we were planning to leave shortly afterwords.  At any rate, its the only modern woodie I've been on, well unless you include Son of Beast and Mean Streak, and there is no doubt in my mind it would be well received at KI.  Could it take over the legend of The Beast?  No, that ride has too much tradition and history, but its a completely different experience and would stand well on its own.  I think all Cedar Fair parks could use a ride similar, if not better to Renegade.  I know El Toro has an awesome reputation (CF-Intamin issues aside, something like that would be well received as well)

• Like 7

May I ask, what are the other 2?  I agree, I enjoyed Renegade more than The Beast, but I'm not sure how much of that is b/c I've ridden The Beast 100+ times (I don't count, but certainly at least that many over the last 30 years) while I've only ridden Renegade 1x.  Its definitely a much different experience.  The Beast is unique to so many coasters with the double lift hill, using the natural terrain, multiple tunnels, speeding thru the woods and under the Tree Canopy, etc...  There is nothing that can replace that experience and the thrills that it offers, any modern woodie would be a unique, separate experience.

How about a simple resurface of the parking lot before it turns entirely to gravel in a year or so at the rate it's deteriorating. Seems silly to construct a nice new open tolling-like parking entrance this winter, only to drive onto the surface of the moon once through.  Ouimet has already said he loves the way the front of the park looks as you enter through the gates; now make the true entrance to the grounds driveable.

• Like 7

I don't think a giga is in the near future for KI. Now correct me if I'm wrong. Levy was supposed to go to Knott berry Farm and Canada Wonderland got . Diamondback could have easily been a giga and that didn't happen and then there is Banshee . That's three instances KI could have gotten a giga and they didnt. I think being so close to Cedar Point hurts that.

Another thing is the parks that got one didn't have that one signature coaster like CW got with Fury 325 KI has The Beast as its man drawing card. And I think if CF wanted KI to have a giga it would have happen all ready. Personally I think the next one will be a floorless or something that CF hasn't done yet like a RMC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yea Banshee as an invert filled a gap more than a Giga would have. A giga would be very welcome in the park, but as it would be somewhat similar to Diamondback, something like Banshee was needed first. And Diamondback as a hyper and not a giga isn't much sign of unwillingness. You could say the same thing of Behemoth and Intimidator which were both only built as hypers but could easily have been gigas, and both Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds went on to get a giga as well.

I think a giga is likely as well as a Triotech dark ride. Would be great to see an RMC go in as well but as Cedar Fair hasn't built one yet not sure about it happening soon. Possible but not as likely as the other two. Would love to see a wing coaster as well but again think a giga is more likely.

• Like 5

I was under the impression that a resurface of the parking lot, as well as a complete overhaul of the traffic patterns in, through, and out of the lot (and, likely, parking patterns), were part of the tollbooth update. I could be wrong.

I don't recall seeing mention of it during Greg's presentation of Tropical Plunge, nor in the renderings posted.  I have to think that with the new toll plaza, they'd budget some money for a resurfacing.  I would expect to see that done prob in March just before the park opens, so as not to expose the new asphalt to the upcoming harsh winter conditions.

• Like 6

KI will get probably what it needs at that moment in time.

Which, if the trend holds, will be a Giga coaster. It has the room, Diamondback is still very popular, CF is still very happy with B&M, they'd have the only one within the competition region, it'd still get national attention etc. etc. etc.

Kings Island doesn't compete with Cedar Point, in case anyone was wondering. Their competition is realistically whatever else is going on in the Cincinnati/Indianapolis area. But realistically it's Holiday World, followed very distantly by Mr. Hart's Family Fun Park.

• Like 5

I think they'll go taller than Fury, just so they have the "tallest giga" title to advertise with. No practical reason not to, unless where they want it has space limitations(yes I know they have plenty of room, but if they want it in a specific spot, it may only be able to be so big). 

• Like 1

Ok let's say KI dose get a giga do you think it would top Fury 325 or be more like Leviathan ?

I think they'd improve a giga experience a little more, just as B&M did from Leviathan to Fury 325.. but if its on par with one of them, I dearly hope we dont end up with that floating final brake run... looks soo tacky.

Yea Banshee as an invert filled a gap more than a Giga would have. A giga would be very welcome in the park, but as it would be somewhat similar to Diamondback, something like Banshee was needed first. And Diamondback as a hyper and not a giga isn't much sign of unwillingness. You could say the same thing of Behemoth and Intimidator which were both only built as hypers but could easily have been gigas, and both Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds went on to get a giga as well.

I think a giga is likely as well as a Triotech dark ride. Would be great to see an RMC go in as well but as Cedar Fair hasn't built one yet not sure about it happening soon. Possible but not as likely as the other two. Would love to see a wing coaster as well but again think a giga is more likely.

I don't know that Kings Island really needs a wing coaster anyways. If you want one there's one 3 and 4 and 5 and another one 5 hours away. Until wing coasters became staples at parks, which I wouldnt expect.. Though the only one I've found to be done well enough for me to love is Thunderbird. It manuevers in a more exciting way.

Wasn't there talk of Six Flags possibily having bought a contract of exclusivity with RMC in the US? Or at least recently?

I'll regurgitate this opinion.. but I'd love a Mack LSM launched ride... particularly around the heniously outdated, dinosaurs area... not sure if it was intended irony or not..

• Like 1

Ok let's say KI dose get a giga do you think it would top Fury 325 or be more like Leviathan ?

I think they'd improve a giga experience a little more, just as B&M did from Leviathan to Fury 325.. but if its on par with one of them, I dearly hope we dont end up with that floating final brake run... looks soo tacky.

I don't know that Kings Island really needs a wing coaster anyways. If you want one there's one 3 and 4 and 5 and another one 5 hours away. Until wing coasters became staples at parks, which I wouldnt expect.. Though the only one I've found to be done well enough for me to love is Thunderbird. It manuevers in a more exciting way.

Wasn't there talk of Six Flags possibily having bought a contract of exclusivity with RMC in the US? Or at least recently?

I'll regurgitate this opinion.. but I'd love a Mack LSM launched ride... particularly around the heniously outdated, dinosaurs area... not sure if it was intended irony or not..

Well Thunderbird is all I've been on and loved it so maybe a bit biased towards it. But yea I know there are a lot of options but be nice to have one at my home park I go to the most. But I would be happy with any coaster addition really. Though I personally feel we need some more flats than coasters right now.

As far as exclusivity between Six Flags and RMC, I don't think that's true. 2 of their installations for next year aren't Six parks anyway as they are working at KK and Dollywood.

• Like 2

Exclusivity agreements typically apply to a limited geographic area. For instance, it has been acknowledged during FUN conference calls with financial analysts that Cedar Point had one that kept Paramount Canada's Wonderland (and presumably Paramount's Kings Island) from installing a B&M. It obviously did not pertain as far away as Paramount's Carowinds. Merger and lapse of time and what do you see now?

Separately, what new B&M installations have occurred at Kings Dominion? What other nearby park....

• Like 7

My predictions for the next few years. Just thinking business wise and customer wants. 

2016- We already know KI is getting some new water slides in Soak City.  But the 2nd addition is what I think holds a clue for the next few years. With the new Toll, I would imagine the parking lot will be repaved for next year. Due to the new north gate, look for previously wasted space on the south end to be utilized as parking spaces. 

2017- Maybe a GIGA for KIs 45th Anniversary??  I could see the north end of the park being expanded out into the current parking area behind Timberwolf. Since the new spaces in the south end will make up for lost space in the north end.  This makes sense, as infrastructure already exists in the area, along with an abundance of restrooms. This would allow a more condensed area, more capital  per sqft. $$ Also not much grading would be required. This would allow most off the ride to stretch out on the old footprint of SOB and to wrap to the front of the park.  I doubt a front gate intersection, but some sort of element upfront. Also maybe a restaurant addition up front? maybe some BBQ?? Mmmm

21291566528_b0a77afd99_z.jpgCapture by Brian Lamm, on Flickr

21479385515_2eb6948683_b.jpgCapture22 by Brian Lamm, on Flickr

2018- Racer Refresh and classic flat rides return to the park. I'm not saying an RMC treatment. Just giving it some much needed retracking and paint, and a cool LED lighting package.  Some new trains that maybe allow backwards operation again?? I would also look for maybe an old Enterprise to return, or any of the old flats that are just a memory. 

2019- With an expanded front, we could possibly see a dark ride?? I'm thinking possibly in the old Crypt building. Maybe in Vortex's space?? I would also look for some more of those classic flat rides.

• Like 7

For my first post here @ KICentral, I will speculate IMO that KI will receive a B&M Giga coaster similar to the stature of Fury 325 and maybe as soon as 2017. Personally when I speculate Cedar Fair and it's future, I look at their parks and the regions that they're located in. For example Carowinds, KD are within reasonable driving distance of each other and could be considered to be in direct compliance with each other in sharing that same market as far as guests based on location. Since Cedar Fair took the 2 former Paramount parks over, both have added/offered different attractions which were introduced at different times (years/seasons), giving each park their own special and attractive differences that give all potential guests in that region a reason to visit both parks rather than just one. It's why in this case I believe that KD will be up next out of the 2 parks, and will receive a trendy B&M such as Winged, Inverted, or even a Dive Machine to offer direct competition to nearby BG Williamsburg's Griffon which has been a BIG success in that area. I speculate this because KD already has a great Giga coaster in I305, and sister-park Carowinds has Hyper coaster Intimidator along with the brand new B&M Giga coaster Fury 325. Since KD has already announced the addition of Delirium for the 2016 season, I look ahead to 2017/2018 which will mark it's 7th and 8th season since their last major coaster and to me it's just a matter of time.

As for KI and it's future, I see them working alongside of Cedar Point the same way with it's addition of new attractions. CP has their Giga in MF, as well as TTD and now the Dive Machine ValRavn, but the one thing they're lacking is that BIG B&M air-time machine that seems to be the new trend with Cedar Fair! CP as we all know did their work early going the Intamin route, but KI more recently has gone the B&M route which seems to be Cedar Fair's current go-to manufacturer in adding Diamondback! I think it's clear and safe to say that CP won't be adding another large land-eating coaster anytime soon since they're short on land being located on a peninsula and already have existing Hyper/Giga/Strata coasters. But KI begs to differ with multiple land outlets and expansion potential along with an annual attendance of over 3 million guests which would support such a Capital Investment such as a B&M Giga coaster, plus recently in 2014 adding the trendy B&M Invert Banshee which tells me that we'll see something different next.

All in all I see both CP/KI, and Carowinds/KD  always being either one-or-the-other with each never adding duplicate attractions going into the future as far as major coasters, giving each park it's own unique experience!  Only Cedar Fair knows which park out of KI/KD will be the recipient of the next big coaster addition, but I'd have to imagine that they're both candidates to be up next and the question to me is which park will be first?

Just my thoughts on the future, which I look forward to sharing and discussing other member's speculation here in the forum.

• Like 6

I think KI gets a coaster in 2018 at the earliest, but possibly/probably 2019. CF tends to be only doing one coaster per year. CP gets 2016. Both KD and CW have had longer stretches than KI since their last coaster. If thats the standard that CF uses, both should get one before KI. The drop coaster addition to CP out of cycle suggests that CF probably looks more at "holes in the lineup" and other factors than just who got one last. In that case, CW has a fairly well rounded lineup and CF may not see a need to put another there soon. I also don't know how/if Knott's factors into things. Either way, I think we see either a flat or dark ride in 17, the other in 18, and finally the giga in 19. 

• Like 1