Things to expect in the future

SonofBaconator

It would seem that a flat ride expansion would suit the park best for the next big investment. Compared to parks like KD and CP, KI has way fewer rides overall. Some of those may not be great rides I understand, but KI needs to invest in it's flat ride collection to bost the number.

An addition to x base that has a few new small flats and a bigger one, definitely some bathrooms and other attractions.

I used to be on the giga hype train, and still would be excited to see one come, but after visiting the park a bunch this seems to be the biggest need.

There are also a few places they could go through the park but adding a whole section together would be great.

What are your thoughts....
Giga vs Flat ride expansion?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

With the addition of employee dorms, I'm curious if we'll see more flat rides in the future. We have been blessed with coasters since the Cedar Fair buy, but flat rides we have not. In terms of flats, we're pretty far behind other parks like Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland. Heck I give Six Flags credit for still adding flat rides to their parks. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, Cmhornblessed said:

By the Numbers....

Total Rides:

KD-60
CP-72
Carrowinds-56
CW-69
Kentucky Kingdom-51
Holiday World-51

Kings Island 50

Hmm. Wikipedia may be pretty off. I went to web sites for these parks, and hand counted all the rides I saw listed there (had to try and avoid dupes as some parks would list the same ride under multiple categories). This includes kiddie rides. I got these results- also, for comparison, I give the numbers I got with and without waterpark:

Kings Island- 49 rides (66 with waterpark)

Cedar Point- 71 rides (88 with waterpark) (I imagine Wiki's 72 was correct for main park but Witches Wheel has just been removed)

Carowinds- 42 rides (56 with waterpark)

Canada's Wonderland- 61 rides (77 with waterpark)

Holiday World- 33 rides (52 with waterpark)

Kentucky Kingdom- 38 rides (57 with waterpark)

These numbers make more sense to me- Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom are small, family parks and while they have big waterparks, they aren't gonna have as many total rides as a place like Kings Island. Carowinds, ironically, is only barely ahead of them in ride count however and if you include their waterparks, Kentucky Kingdom has more rides than them! Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland are clearly ahead of everyone else, since both those parks have lots of coasters, big kids areas, lots of flats, and decent-sized waterparks. Also note these are the 2018 numbers so they don't count the new-for-2019 rides like Yukon Striker, Copperhead Strike, Kings Mills Antique Autos, or whatever any of these parks add for next year.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, Cmhornblessed said:

It would seem that a flat ride expansion would suit the park best for the next big investment. Compared to parks like KD and CP, KI has way fewer rides overall. Some of those may not be great rides I understand, but KI needs to invest in it's flat ride collection to bost the number.

An addition to x base that has a few new small flats and a bigger one, definitely some bathrooms and other attractions.

I used to be on the giga hype train, and still would be excited to see one come, but after visiting the park a bunch this seems to be the biggest need.

There are also a few places they could go through the park but adding a whole section together would be great.

What are your thoughts....
Giga vs Flat ride expansion?

You are not wrong. See the hard part of all of this is, in the theme park business, spending money to make money is more important than in a lot of other businesses. You can remain pretty stagnant for 15 or 20 years and do very well in the restaurant industry, but not so much with theme parks. The giga coaster that all of us coaster people want to see is going to cost real money. To make that money, you have to get people in the gate, and not everyone goes to a theme park for coasters. (I know, it shocks me too.) Getting those flat rides out there, keeping scenery and themes updated and looking fresh year over year, and the food options are what brings in the guests that aren't there for a day of ramrodding as many coaster laps in as possible in the gate. As much as thrill rides are what's up for a lot of us, the 'Tiques are going to be a big lure for those folks that want to experience theme park rides, but can't handle the whipping, spinning, looping, screams. 

• Like 2